JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It was worth trying.

Was going to see how these do through the AR. Well, that's likely not going to happen. Bullets are too freaking long to fit the magazine. I kept pushing the pull down, test mag, push a little further, test mag. Nope. Ogive is starting to go under the case mouth.

Sometimes stuff just don't want to work together! Irony is I should have known as Hornady lists the COAL at 2.390. Something I should have noticed before starting! Hint hint, read your reloading books!

Anyways, I'll pull the one I sat and they will end up in the classifieds if I don't find a use for them (cough cough looking at Savage rifles online in 223)

28E63F3C-20DF-49C8-9EBA-AA9AE3829374.jpeg FFDDF7F2-36AC-44CE-9414-BECA27194C42.jpeg

My Savage 223 has a 1:9 twist. I wonder if faster twist rates are hard to find in bolt guns. If these were being used at bench for target shooting I would hand feed them or modify a single mag.
My savage is also a 1:9 twist and shoots lights out with 77gr SMKs, and Nosler CCs

Interesting. i wonder what the bullet length difference is between the 75gr Hornday ELD and the 77gr Sierras they use for Mk 262 mod 0/1. never saw an M4/SPR/DMR rifle that wouldnt eat them from the mag.

Very nice!
What's your recipe?
FOR REFERENCE ONLY DEEMED SAFE IN MY RIFLE!!

LC 08' brass
CCI 400
77gr Nosler CC
IMR8208XBR (22.4gr)
2.263" COAL
2.892" Base to ogive (Sinclair comparator)
.016" jump to the lands
.003" neck tension

Note:
This load gave a 3-shot group .108" in my older .223 bolt action savage from Dicks.

The same load produced the group above in another newer savage .223 bolt action I got on sale several years later as a Cabelas special. It was cool to see it worked so well in two different rifles made several years apart!

It was worth trying.

Was going to see how these do through the AR. Well, that's likely not going to happen. Bullets are too freaking long to fit the magazine. I kept pushing the pull down, test mag, push a little further, test mag. Nope. Ogive is starting to go under the case mouth.

Sometimes stuff just don't want to work together! Irony is I should have known as Hornady lists the COAL at 2.390. Something I should have noticed before starting! Hint hint, read your reloading books!

Anyways, I'll pull the one I sat and they will end up in the classifieds if I don't find a use for them (cough cough looking at Savage rifles online in 223)

View attachment 1197842 View attachment 1197843
People load those for single shots.

YUP. I can remember back in the day. When I was into service rifle shooting and some of the bullet manufacturers warned that certain bullets (longer/heavier) would have to be single-loaded (directly into the chamber).

But....since it would probably only be for the 600 yd (and beyond) slow fire match......well, it was acceptable for some.

BTW, the Sierra 69 grn BTHP will work out of a magazine.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads