JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why the bubblegum did he have it pointed in his son's direction ANYWAY?

Save a ricochet,nothing else you do to the gun will kill someone if the muzzle IS NOT POINTED IN A PERSON'S DIRECTION
Why would you point the gun at your 7 yo son?

Nothing they could do to the father will take this away.
Especially at Christmas time.That'll never be the same

I can understand children and even teenagers being young, naive, down right unintelligent. I believe we're unfortunately getting used to that. Maybe even a neighbor shoots his wife while "cleaning" his gun. Still kinda WTF?.... While it obviously happened, the less rational part me has gone completely apebubblegum trying to figure out HOW you end up with a HANDGUN POINTED AT YOUR CHILD under ANY circumstance, let alone in the middle of a public parking lot? I don't want an answer, really.

When I first heard the story I figured he somehow discharged it from a shoulder holster. I figured that would be the only way for it to be aimed at his son....seems I could be wrong. Wow....I don't even want to think about it.

No gun just "goes off" there is always a finger on the trigger.

99% of the time you are correct - a friend had a POS jennings 22 - when he racked the slide (no finger on the trigger or in the guard) it went off putting a round into the door frame - apparently the firing pin had gotten stuck.

In this case I would agree - negligent discharge. Nothing they could do to this guy would be worse than losing his son...

Media need top user the proper terminology. It's negligence.

What a bunch of self-righteous people frequent the gun forums..not just this forum.

There is a saying in the horse world...if you state you have never fallen off a horse, the comeback is...haven't ridden much have you?

Until proven otherwise, I would consider this a very unfortunate ACCIDENT.

What a bunch of self-righteous people frequent the gun forums..not just this forum.

There is a saying in the horse world...if you state you have never fallen off a horse, the comeback is...haven't ridden much have you?

Until proven otherwise, I would consider this a very unfortunate ACCIDENT.

I have never shot someone thinking a gun was unloaded and I can guarantee I never will. I understand it's tragic, but as a firearms enthusiast I am tired of these 100% preventable accidents.

So, your are criminally negligent os you have a car accident? Most of them are preventable.

If you caused it and there's enough reason to prosecute, likely so.

I agree with Burt, it's very two-fold. On one hand, the whole situation is a sad sad accident, on the other hand, what led up to it is also in my opinion (and given what we know from the news reports) negligence. Negligence that led to the loss of life by a gunshot. A reason to always hammer on safe gun handling.

Sad story all around. Without more details I can't judge ...but I can say it looks bad for the Father right now. I have never had an accidental discharge and cannot fathom how it would happen in a vehicle with your son in the line of fire. Horrible to even think about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It IS negligence. Period, end of story.

Rule #2: "ALWAYS point the gun in a safe direction."

He pointed a loaded gun at his son. He was negligent there.

Rule #3 Always keep guns unloaded until ready to use."

He failed to clear the chamber of the gun. NEGLIGENCE.

Even if this had been a slam-fire, as described above with the Jennngs, what in the HELL was was he doing pointing a gun at his kid? I grabbed a shotgun out of my Father-in-laws hands very roughly and literally screamed at him for sweeping me with a gun I'd just observed being unloaded. Because that kind of carelessness with ANY gun, even the ones you're sure are unloaded, will eventually become a habit that will result in a tragedy.

Don't get me wrong, I feel awful for the father. I can't even imagine the guilt and pain that man will suffer to the end of his days.

But this was a needless tragedy resulting from carelessness or ignorance or both. There is no excuse for either one when dealing with firearms. Failure to learn how to safely handle your weapons and to USE that knowledge is not an "accident." It's negligence.

We have vanishingly few fatal accidental gun deaths (as defined by CDC) considering the 300 million some-odd firearms in private hands. About 750 a year total. Usually less than 50 of those are kids, a good portion of the total are actually suicides that were reported as "accidents" so the family could collect life-insurance money. We shouldn't make this tragedy out as anything other than a the rare thing that it is. (More people die from lightning strikes each year on average).

The difference between this and lightning strikes is that this was 100% preventable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top