JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, any preventable ACCIDENT is neglegence in the eyes of this board? How about the guy the shot himself in the leg (and died) adjusting his Glock in it's holster...the trigger caught on the edge of the holster, discharging the pistol, the guy bled to death, So he was neglegent because he had a crappy holster eh?

Lets speculate on the guy that accidentally shot his kid. Let's say it was a pickup truck (article says truck) and it was jacked up a bit. Let's say this guy did not have a holster, or if he did, he did not wear the pistol when driving..for whatever reason, he has this pistol in his hands...now lets say the son jumps up in the truck and is putting on his seatbelt...at the same time the dad reaches up to climb in himself...now, if this was a Glock...it does not state one way or another, and the trigger catches on the back of the seat????

How many LEO's have you heard of that have shot themselves with a Glock. How about the guy that just shot himself in the butt??? all neglegence according to this crowd. No wonder Josh was convicted of "displaying" his weapon by a bunch of self righteous gun owners.

I have carried a gun every day of my life for well over 20 years. I did so often, before that. I shoot a LOT.

I use a Kramer IWB holster that's very easy to get a trigger caught up on a piece of clothing when I re-holster if I'm not careful. SO I AM CAREFUL WHEN RE-HOLSTERING. If I shoot myself in the *** when re-holstering, it is because I as careless about an obviously known issue. It wasn't INTENTIONAL, so I guess if that's your definition of "accident" in this case, you would be correct. But it was STILL a 100% avoidable instance had I simply used the CAUTION that I treat any firearm with.

You are arguing that the killing of the little boy wasn't INTENTIONAL. I agree completely. So does every other poster on this thread from what I have seen. NO ONE IS ARGUING YOUR POINT.

We are simply stating that an accident of this type resulted not from a momentary lapse, but from failure to follow a LOT of basic rules of safe gun handling.

1. If you're carrying a gun, carry it in a case, or a holster. -No trigger being pulled=no discharge.
2. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE.
3. ALWAYS keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction (i.e. a direction that IF the gun went off, it wouldn't injure anyone).
4. 3. Keep your gun unloaded unless it's a "ready gun" you need to be loaded for self defense. In THAT case, carry it in a holster and KEEP it in a holster, even if it's on your bedside table (obviously long guns are a separate issue in the instance of "ready gun.").

The father in this instance violated ALL of the above. EVERY STINKING ONE OF THEM. Even following ONE of those rules would have kept his son safe.

It has nothing to do with sympathy for the poor bastard that killed his son. I don't think I've seen anyone claim anything else. It has everything to do with accepting personal responsibility for a firearm under your direction.

The father in this instance violated ALL of the above. EVERY STINKING ONE OF THEM. Even following ONE of those rules would have kept his son safe.

It has nothing to do with sympathy for the poor bastard that killed his son. I don't think I've seen anyone claim anything else. It has everything to do with accepting personal responsibility for a firearm under your direction.

This is exactly dead on !

This is the truth. Several years ago I was helping a friend move his daughter and son-in-law and he had many guns as well as some that were owned by my friend's father. Ok - so we are unloading and I hear a 'clunk' and an old .45 in a holster his the ground - I immediately check it and it has a full mag and a round in the chamber. Next I am handling a H & R shingle shot shotgun which I crack open and find a live round in it. My friend (not as much now) gives me crap about checking them all even when I found live rounds!! Talk about self-righteous people - some cannot even accept the reality of a potential dangerous situation.

Uggg.... something just waiting to happen.

I have never seen, read or heard of anyone getting shot by and unloaded gun.
There is a easy remedy to solve the mystery............. Check, it or you might check out ! Just sayin !

"preventable ACCIDENT"
I was reading over this posting and the reality of this just hti me. I have to ask this question
If an accident is preventable was it an accident?

I have two boys also the agony is right. I pray for the family. I remember one time while clearing the 1911 just before dry firing, in a safe direction, I did not hear the round hit my bench. lucky for my bench I noticed. Pulled back slide three times before ejecting. Never did it again and it was a factory round. Anyway almost blew a hole in my bench. Now I visually check also. But again how could a child be in line of fire. Even when empty. Never will understand that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top