JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This totally sucks, that poor father that has to live with his negligence and the death of his son for the rest of his life! I see a trend of useless mistakes and wonder if it is because of the lack of gun safety education.

Wow if I were in his shoes I don't think I could look any of my family in the eye for a long time especially not my wife's the guilt would kill me.

It would have taken 5 extra seconds to be certain his firearm was safe being late for something is measured in minutes.

Until proven otherwise, I would consider this a very unfortunate ACCIDENT.

Not an accident. If he had follwed the rules of firarms safety, even if the gun itself had a mechincal problem and dicharged, his son would be alive and he would only have to explain the hole in his truck.
It is a grave tragic event and one I never ever wish on anyone.

Everytime i read one of these stories it sickens me. And everytime I think through the evnts as related by the media it comes down to having been avoidable if the 4 commandmants of fireaarms safety had been followed.

Terminology is critcal for a proper communications. And in this case negligence is the correct word.

The price the father is going to pay for the rest of his life for his mistake is far beyond what most of us will ever understand. I pray the family has the strenght and faith to live pass this event.

Muzzel direction is the most important part of gun safety. My Dad was anti handgun because it's so easy to point them in the wrong direction.

So, your are criminally negligent os you have a car accident? Most of them are preventable.

Criminal not always, negligent yes. Car accidents (for the most part) are preventable therefor negligence. Following to close, speeding, distraction etc etc etc... Firearm "accidents" such as this are 100% preventable. Had he simply followed procedure by clearing the weapon and locking the slide back, his son would still be alive. Negligence, not an accident. Not to mention that he just tried to sell a loaded gun.

"It's an accident, not negligence", is the kind of thought process that leads to the thinking that guns kill people. Unfortunately, the father is responsible for what happened.

There are a few very simple firearms safety rules that would have prevented this incident. People forget, or don't know them and it leads to this type of thing. This pretty much sums it up...

The Gun Zone -- "The Rules"

One through four pretty much sum it up. As responsible gun owners we have to live these rules, and teach others who may be ignorant of them. I do not want to live with the gut wrenching guilt this father will for the rest of his life.

Had he simply followed procedure by clearing the weapon and locking the slide back, his son would still be alive.
I agree - he was responsible for loading it and therefore is responsible for clearing it. Therefore:

neg·li·gence

b : failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances

Article says :
Investigators said Loughrey told them he didn't realize there was a bullet still in the chamber. "This happens all too often where people think the gun was empty," Lt. Eric Hermick told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

There is no such thing as a unloaded gun, if it leaves your sight for a minute you better clear it.

It takes 2 seconds to clear a gun, but takes a life time to regret not doing it !

My entire family is trained not to never do anything with a gun first until you clear it.
And if you did not observe it being cleared then you clear it again yourself, never ever , ever
take the word that some one says it was unloaded, always assume it is a loaded one !

Article says :
Investigators said Loughrey told them he didn't realize there was a bullet still in the chamber. "This happens all too often where people think the gun was empty," Lt. Eric Hermick told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

There is no such thing as a unloaded gun, if it leaves your sight for a minute you better clear it.

It takes 2 seconds to clear a gun, but takes a life time to regret not doing it !

My entire family is trained not to never do anything with a gun first until you clear it.
And if you did not observe it being cleared then you clear it again yourself, never ever , ever
take the word that some one says it was unloaded, always assume it is a loaded one !

Exactly.....I drilled this into my kids heads....no such thing as an unloaded gun. btw...My son just qualified expert with his M16 in BCT Ft. Jackson SC.

What a bunch of self-righteous people frequent the gun forums..not just this forum.

There is a saying in the horse world...if you state you have never fallen off a horse, the comeback is...haven't ridden much have you?

Not self righteous, realists. keep you fingers off the trigger and 99.999% of the time the gun won't go off.
Keep from pointing the gun at someone and nobody will get shot.

NEGLIGENCE on both counts, Accident my A$$.

He pointed a gun at his son = NEGLIGENCE

Either not knowing the gun well enough to carry or just being NEGLIGENT when holstering a gun he was familiar with,it is still NEGLIGENCE.

But this was a needless tragedy resulting from carelessness or ignorance or both. There is no excuse for either one when dealing with firearms. Failure to learn how to safely handle your weapons and to USE that knowledge is not an "accident." It's negligence.

Exactly,ignorance or carelessness = NEGLIGENCE
Seems to have displayed both.

What more info can change this? THE FATHER had the gun. The son is dead from a round from that gun the father was holding.

What will more info give us? The kid wouldn't buckle up fast enough?
He was eating too much candy?

Very sad. It just shows you can never be to careful with fire arms. I have almost been hit by a round because the owner thought he had taken the round out of the chamber. When you buy a gun you accept the role to be a safe gun owner. Always check the chamber, never point at anything/anyone you do not intend to shoot. keep your finger off the trigger till your ready to shoot. I feel for the man. He may be an idiot for how he handled his gun, but losing his son, like someone said earlier around Christmas to top it would be devastating.

So, any preventable ACCIDENT is neglegence in the eyes of this board? How about the guy the shot himself in the leg (and died) adjusting his Glock in it's holster...the trigger caught on the edge of the holster, discharging the pistol, the guy bled to death, So he was neglegent because he had a crappy holster eh?

Lets speculate on the guy that accidentally shot his kid. Let's say it was a pickup truck (article says truck) and it was jacked up a bit. Let's say this guy did not have a holster, or if he did, he did not wear the pistol when driving..for whatever reason, he has this pistol in his hands...now lets say the son jumps up in the truck and is putting on his seatbelt...at the same time the dad reaches up to climb in himself...now, if this was a Glock...it does not state one way or another, and the trigger catches on the back of the seat????

How many LEO's have you heard of that have shot themselves with a Glock. How about the guy that just shot himself in the butt??? all neglegence according to this crowd. No wonder Josh was convicted of "displaying" his weapon by a bunch of self righteous gun owners.

So, any preventable ACCIDENT is neglegence in the eyes of this board? How about the guy the shot himself in the leg (and died) adjusting his Glock in it's holster...the trigger caught on the edge of the holster, discharging the pistol, the guy bled to death, So he was neglegent because he had a crappy holster eh?

Lets speculate on the guy that accidentally shot his kid. Let's say it was a pickup truck (article says truck) and it was jacked up a bit. Let's say this guy did not have a holster, or if he did, he did not wear the pistol when driving..for whatever reason, he has this pistol in his hands...now lets say the son jumps up in the truck and is putting on his seatbelt...at the same time the dad reaches up to climb in himself...now, if this was a Glock...it does not state one way or another, and the trigger catches on the back of the seat????

How many LEO's have you heard of that have shot themselves with a Glock. How about the guy that just shot himself in the butt??? all neglegence according to this crowd. No wonder Josh was convicted of "displaying" his weapon by a bunch of self righteous gun owners.

also the bunny rabbit in the truck might have caught his foot in the trigger

Negligence

:confused:*The guy was negligent for not having a good holster. He was risking others' lives by not knowing his holster was capable of this.
So yes,he was negligent for having a crappy holster*:confused:

:angry:*OH GEEZUZ EFFING CA RYST Are you kidding me? Do you want anyone on this forum to take this seriously? What if?
What if he had just kept the gun unloaded IF all these things COULD happen? What if he bought a GOOD holster to put it in WHEN HIS CHILD WAS PRESENT?
What if HE DIDN'T POINT THE GUN AT HIS KID? Or have the gun in any way shape or form,where his son was able to do any of these 'what ifs' ?
And what if his son could have done any of these things,what if he taught his son to be aware of the gun? (But you are putting the blame on the son thinking this,shame on you for that)
What if? sheez.*:s0054:

Yes especially the cops shooting themselves with any gun.If they don't know how to handle the gun properly,they should be issued another.
Or find another job that doesn't entail a loaded weapon.

Pure and simple negligence.:s0155:

Very sad. It just shows you can never be to careful with fire arms. I have almost been hit by a round because the owner thought he had taken the round out of the chamber. When you buy a gun you accept the role to be a safe gun owner. Always check the chamber, never point at anything/anyone you do not intend to shoot. keep your finger off the trigger till your ready to shoot. I feel for the man. He may be an idiot for how he handled his gun, but losing his son, like someone said earlier around Christmas to top it would be devastating.

Good chance his whole family structure will fall,as is the case when a child is lost.
How will his family look at the man that killed that boy?

Your an idiot... The truck, holster, whatever...Your missing the point. HE FAILED TO CLEAR THE WEAPON!!!!! NEGLIGENCE! Plain and simple. We can go on and on with possible scenarios but its all gonna come back to this.

What a bunch of self-righteous people frequent the gun forums..not just this forum.

There is a saying in the horse world...if you state you have never fallen off a horse, the comeback is...haven't ridden much have you?

I stopped reading this thread after your comment. Horses are not nearly as LETHAL as firearms. Where does the personal responsibility in conducting yourself start? There are four basic safety rules regarding the use of these tools. Never point a firearm, loaded or not, at anything YOU are not willing to destroy. As with any tool, use it properly and carefully you will never hurt yourself or someone you may care about. There are very few true accidents in our world. A tree rots then it falls, stand near the creaking and you may meet that tree. Hit that nail wrong and your thumb will let you know. Point a gun at someone and they may die. Would he have let his child hold that nail with his teeth?

How does anyone defend a lack of responsibility for their actions? That man will suffer forever and hopefully blame himself for the death of an innocent child, I know I would. However, I wouldn't hold a piece of wood while drilling a hole, much less ever point a firearm at a person I wasn't willing to KILL. To permanently remove from this existence.

Leave this man alone. Offer empathy and take from his experience. He has a terrible road ahead and will be permanently changed as a human.

PS. I am not interested in any response to my reply/post. I think I may be done with gun forums for awhile. Thanks to those that live in reality and good luck to those that don't.

Last Edited:

Actually, Lets play this scenario game for a min...
Dad says "I think I want to sell a gun so I can have some extra money to spend on my kid this christmas." So off to the safe he goes. Dad proceeds to choose the gun and says to himself, (because he KNOWS what the f!@K to do) "Id better make sure this gun is unloaded" and drops the magazine and cycles the slide a few times and locks it back. Out popped one. "Gee, Im glad I know what to do with a gun, otherwise I couldve killed somebody" thinks the dad. Dad and son go to gun store, owner declines the firearm and dad says "Thank you anyway" and off they go to wherever...... The End (At least thats how MY, and most others here, day would have gone. So no, we are NOT self righteous gun owners, we are smart and careful about how we handle our guns THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

Very sad. It just shows you can never be to careful with fire arms.
This is the truth. Several years ago I was helping a friend move his daughter and son-in-law and he had many guns as well as some that were owned by my friend's father. Ok - so we are unloading and I hear a 'clunk' and an old .45 in a holster his the ground - I immediately check it and it has a full mag and a round in the chamber. Next I am handling a H & R shingle shot shotgun which I crack open and find a live round in it. My friend (not as much now) gives me crap about checking them all even when I found live rounds!! Talk about self-righteous people - some cannot even accept the reality of a potential dangerous situation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top