JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can get the weight down to about 8.5 lbs, but my typical builds end up closer to 10 lbs. as pictured & unloaded. The CQB-16 has a standard weight barrel, the new one has a medium heavy 22" barrel.

I can get the weight down to about 8.5 lbs, but my typical builds end up closer to 10 lbs. as pictured & unloaded. The CQB-16 has a standard weight barrel, the new one has a medium heavy 22" barrel.

The cool factor on that is over the top (who makes this chassis?), but for the weight difference I'll stick with my Adams small frame .308 piston, which as pictured weighs about 10 lbs.
254852-8c6eaacba065d261b1a8985df3e67c65.jpg

I favor the M1A for its reliability and accuracy potential. 5-round magazines are available for it, and I've gotten satisfying results with 150 gr spire points and Sierra 168 gr HPBT Match bullets.

I've carried and qual'd on both platforms. For some reason I'm far more quick and accurate with my M1a Scout - from contact drills to several hundred yds. I absolutely love the thing. I sold my AR10; For me it was an ok rifle but nothing compared to the scout

If it was me ... I'd get an M1A or the M1A Scout model in Walnut.
But then I only have experience with a M21 and not any real shooting time with an AR 10 , other than a few times at the range with a friends AR 10 type rifle.
Of course there is the fact that at times , I have been accused of putting the "Old" in Old School ... LOL
Andy

An AR-10 will be a pound or more lighter and have better ergonomics due to pistol grip, adjustable stock, and safety selector. The AR design is inherently very accurate and recoil is a straight line to the shoulder. With a decent trigger upgrade (that doesn't require a gunsmith) it matches the M1A for accuracy. Scope mounting is easy due to the integral picatinny rail and the rifle is almost infinity configurable to match the needs of the shooter. Iron sights are not always included. It will also tend to be less expensive than an M1A.

The M1A is beautiful, accurate, and as reliable as a semi-auto can get - what's not to like in yet another John Browning knock it out of the park design? The safety selector is intuitive and by it's own nature ambidextrous. Scope mounts via adapter that screws into the side like an AK-47. Iron sights are built in and excellent. There is a SOCOM 16 QCB rifle that has both pistol grip and adjustable stock, but weight increases to nearly 9 1/4 lbs.

I have 0 experience with the 308 AR platform. But I am interested in getting one.
I have owned several M1As. Shot many matches with one. I love the accuracy
of the M1A. That being said I don't think it is suitable hunting rifle. IMHO
Good thread good info.
My custom build NM Springer.:D P1000062.JPG

Last Edited:
...btw, if the op decides on the M14, and he plans to hunt in heavy brush, <broken link removed> might keep him from getting caught up in low hanging branches.

Dean

Now that's intriguing! What's it like for total weight and how is the trigger pull? So far my only reservation about the M1A is the weight - some of them fancy chassis need wheels and a handle or perhaps a trailer hitch.

The trigger pull isn't bad, but the bull pup conversion kit adds too much weight... it's a boat anchor. When it comes to chassis stocks, I prefer the lightweight Blackfeather RS.

I used to own this (literally - that is my pic which that site stole and put their name on it):

wtf20070625ace.jpg

One inch diameter Krieger SS 18" barrel. Burris 4x12x scope. McMillian fiberglass stock.

Twelve pounds as pictured.

Shot less than 0.5 MOA in my inept hands with the right ammo.

Not a hunting rifle, a compact sniper rifle. Trigger pull was excellent.

AWC G2A - most of them custom built. Quite accurate. Tensioned barrel. A number of different variations on the theme.

I really like bullpups, even with the weight, it was great handling, just not something I would want to go hunting with. I don't hunting anymore, but if I did, it would be with a CZ carbine in 7.62x39 or a lever action in .30-30, not a heavy semi-auto.

It's amazing how high above the bore you have to position the optic in bull pup configuration, I ended up using a 5/8" riser. I wish the manufacturer of the Blackfeather could make a lightweight conversion kit for the US market... IMG_2428.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top