JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're adding stuff to a M14 to make it as ergonomic and scope friendly as an AR, might as well get an AR in .308.
Now that I given my opinion as per the OP, what about an FN-FAL or even a M1 Garand? I've really come to love the FN's. I really like the adjustable gas system, and they are plenty accurate.
Of the battle rifles from the Cold War, I like the FAL and M14 most. FAL being cheaper (not costing $2k and all). And IMHO neither need much modifying beyond use of optics. And they're fine enough as is to hunt with if legal in your state. Most importantly, they both look good in wood.

ar10.jpg
Unless you can get an AR-10 like this one I'd say save up for a Rockola or LRB. :D

I believe the original cost of the Final Version of the M-14 was just $104. I don't believe they are producing any more "New" ones so that should be the Market value and I will with SUSAN Bs to make the payment.

And just for reference I've Fired many, many rounds out a "Rack Grade" M-14 at measured distances out to 1,000 meters and didn't find it difficult to hit the Bull with Iron Sights and found mounting a scope not difficult.

I love M1As (have 4), however the Military moved to the SCAR & AR-10 type rifles for a reason. It's not because the M14 is a 60 year old design, the AR10 & SCAR are easier to mount optics on and will maintain accuracy longer. Even bedded M14s will shoot lose over time. It hurts but I think I like the LMT308/LM308MWS the best and want one even though they cost more than my McMillan stocked M1A Super Match. Of course I'm keeping my M1A type rifles.

I love M1As (have 4), however the Military moved to the SCAR & AR-10 type rifles for a reason. It's not because the M14 is a 60 year old design, the AR10 & SCAR are easier to mount optics on and will maintain accuracy longer. Even bedded M14s will shoot lose over time. It hurts but I think I like the LMT308/LM308MWS the best and want one even though they cost more than my McMillan stocked M1A Super Match.

The AR design is also more modular and can be customized/adapted more easily.

The one factor the Commercial(I not familiar enough with the Military Version to know, if it "like" the M-14 does) AR-10 does lack is a Selector Lever which would turn it into a Light Automatic Rifle. I have personal knowledge of the effectiveness of the M-14(converted) in during actual Combat operations and Know it to be a tremendously effect piece of equipment - MUCH beyond the current .223/5.56AR Platform.

The AR-10 isn't really available anymore. The "new" design is more of a big version of the AR-15 than it is the AR-10.

The only similarity is that the SR-25 magazine pattern is the same magazine pattern of the original.

The one factor the Commercial(I not familiar enough with the Military Version to know, if it "like" the M-14 does) AR-10 does lack is a Selector Lever which would turn it into a Light Automatic Rifle. I have personal knowledge of the effectiveness of the M-14(converted) in during actual Combat operations and Know it to be a tremendously effect piece of equipment - MUCH beyond the current .223/5.56AR Platform.

The fully automatic M-14 was found to be so difficult to control that .gov found a different SAW platform. I still think it's pretty cool.

The fully automatic M-14 was found to be so difficult to control that .gov found a different SAW platform. I still think it's pretty cool.
While the M-14 was never seen as a replacement for the M-60(a Medium Machine Gun) it DID effective effectively replace the WW-1 vintage Browning BAR(a Light Automatic Rifle). During short term engagements it proved extremely effective. Specificly since the reloading on M-14 Magazines was much simpler and faster than I M-60 belts. "Charlie" KNEW he wasn't hearing an M-60 but then he also KNEW he wasn't hearing M-16A1s and that "his" AK-47 certainly wasn't any kind of a Match. He choose to "Get out of Dodge!" And do it now!!!

I know this. Dad had a Remington 740 back in the '60s with a Leupold "Gold Ring" scope. Perhaps I should look into a bolt action '06 to replace the Spanish Mauser. (The rifle is okay, but I'm fond of the 150 grain Sierra Boat Tail Spitzer). They worked for Dad.

He's been gone almost 41 years. God help me, I miss him so.
My father also had a 740.
It was very reliable and accurate enough for a deer rifle at typical Vermont ranges (under 200 yards).
It was given to my brother and somehow it was "lost".
I recently found a 7400 in pristine condition for a great price.
For a hunting rig, I would forgo the battle rifle option and get one of these Remingtons.
Set it up like your Dad's rifle was.

Yes, I saw the date of the OP.

My father also had a 740.
It was very reliable and accurate enough for a deer rifle at typical Vermont ranges (under 200 yards).
It was given to my brother and somehow it was "lost".
I recently found a 7400 in pristine condition for a great price.
For a hunting rig, I would forgo the battle rifle option and get one of these Remingtons.
Set it up like your Dad's rifle was.

Yes, I saw the date of the OP.
The 740/760/7400/7600 all look to be "Less Military" but considering I once had a reason to "Let Her RIP" it would have been something of an Issue getting all 90 rounds out in the same time frame - something like 20 Seconds - with something less than the CAR-16 and the 30 round magazines!!! KKG:):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top