JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...all I was saying was that the bullpup format would make the gun more compact and less likely to snag in heavy brush.
...wow, try to help a fella....:eek:

I used to have an H&K 91 with the ARMS scope mount. I never could get it to lock down solidly and get any decent accuracy out of the rifle. Not to say the rifle is inaccurate - about the same as any other "Battle Rifle" and there are versions that are sniper rifle accurate, but I was never satisfied with the accuracy of the "plain Jane" version.

I did like the design, but back then it wasn't easy or inexpensive to customize. There were a lot of factory modules you could get to customize it, but they were very expensive.

I went to two Valmets - an M76 (IIRC) carbine with the folding stock, and an M78 styled like an LMG (long heavy barrel, bipod, RPK style buttstock, etc). These were excellent AK rifles and I really hated letting them go, but the parts did not interchange with any other AK (maybe Galil) and because of the '86 import bans, parts (bolts/carriers, springs, etc.) and more importantly mag prices went through the roof. Mag prices started at $150 and went up to $300 per mag! Ugggh! Today I would keep them, but back then I had to let them go to get other rifles I needed/wanted. Interestingly the mags are modified HK mags for the 7.62x51 rifles.

So eventually, I picked up a DSA FN-FAL for a good price. The FN-FAL has a lot of variations - as many as the HK91, is dependable, can be had in a carbine with folding stock (but make sure you get it that way if that is what you want as the non-folding stock receiver is not compatible with the folding stock).

I also picked up the AWC G2A and I liked it a lot, but at some point, as I got older and out of shape, I had to admit that a 12 pound sniper rifle with no iron sights probably wasn't the best rifle for me in that caliber, so I sold it. Again, if I had it today, I would keep it.

Indeed, I have pretty much decided that unless I get stuck with a real junk gun, I won't sell any firearm I have now or in the future, unless absolutely forced to.

The rifle I am waiting on is the Desert Tech MDR.

MDR-2.jpg

Modular (switchable barrels/calibers), reportedly accurate, lightweight for a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle.

If it is everything they promise, then this would be what I recommend.

Unfortunately, they have blown through their promised delivery dates and may again. We'll see.

Which is going to be better for general hunting/use? I tend to favor the M1A with a polymer stock, but I'm open to suggestions.

Personally I would go with a lightest weight ar10 style rifle you can find like the G2
the reason being is that it is easy to carry in a "tactical position" with a Tactical sling. that means you don't always have to have it over your sholder so it is fast to draw if a animal should cross your path . Some thing about having the pistol grip seem to make the rifle feel a little more controllable and at least to me more comfortable and natural.
also having a collapsable stock makes it easier getting in and out of a vehicle can fit it in a smaller case.

I have hunted with the LR-308 old style but I have done a lot to lighten it . I have the original barrel turned down to lw profile I found Light weight upper receiver vs the original ( just a few ounces less but I look at the overall weight reduction) . I went with a milspec buffer tube with old style fiber light stock add aero precision LW scope mount took out the original slash buffer upgrade and reinstalled the factory buffer with heavy duty spring . shaved the original gas block and installed a PRI carbon fiber float tube I am probably over a lb less than it was originally . If the JP lw bolt carrier if it was not so expensive .

Last Edited:
... I have the original barrel turned down to lw profile I found Light weight upper receiver vs the original ( just a few ounces less but I look at the overall weight reduction) . I went with a milspec buffer tube with old style fiber light stock add aero precision LW scope mount took out the original slash buffer upgrade and reinstalled the factory buffer with heavy duty spring . shaved the original gas block and installed a PRI carbon fiber float tube I am probably over a lb less than it was originally . If the JP lw bolt carrier if it was not so expensive .

Nice.

DPMS lite hunter comes in at 8lbs stock w/o optic. Might be able to shave some further ounces off that, but'd probably be pricey.

M1A is way more accurate than a AR 10 IMO

Not in plain Jane off the shelf form.

Both can be turned into MOA or sub-MOA rifles, and you can buy them that way, but a mil-spec standard M1A is about the same as a standard AR10, or FN-FAL or HK91/G3.

It isn't a good comparison to compare other models. Both M1A and AR10s come in a number of different configurations with different components, so it just depends on which brand and model you buy. Once you get MOA or better accuracy from a rifle, that is plenty good for hunting or self-defense IMO, and in either use, most people will be using the rifle off-hand most of the time and not many people can shoot anything MOA off-hand unless they practice a LOT. I used to do it from the bench, but not off-hand. I've only shot two deer sitting down, and both were well under one hundred yards - indeed, all deer I have shot were well under one hundred yards.

There are many, many AR's out there, but I believe I'd go with the M1A. Nothing against the Armilite style rifles though, it's just that it seems there everywhere these days.
Now, an M1A,, now that's a thing of beauty. Real wood and blued metal, what's not to love there?

Real wood and steel? You can get that with a FAL too. Need to give the M14 more credentials than just that. :rolleyes:

IMHO unless you're spilling out 2 grand for a forged receiver, real feeling, American parts M14 I'd go with a .308 AR.

I might just be too stubborn, but if I'm going with America's battle rifle it should be mostly, if not all, American parts.

IF you can manage the BIG Bucks and proper Mass of Red Tape then I would go with the M-14 - with the selector switch - Nothing like ONE.

Next would be a Armalite AR-10 tricked out the way you want. I'd also keep a nice supply of Liberty Ammunition. A 100gr. Nickel Plated, Copper Hollow Point running at 3500fps. Does make a Very Fine Package.

Real wood and steel? You can get that with a FAL too. Need to give the M14 more credentials than just that. :rolleyes:

IMHO unless you're spilling out 2 grand for a forged receiver, real feeling, American parts M14 I'd go with a .308 AR.

I might just be too stubborn, but if I'm going with America's battle rifle it should be mostly, if not all, American parts.

I guess what I'm saying is that after having many plastic and metal/carbon black rifles I just gravitated (outside of a couple I still enjoy) back to good old metal and wood ALL American rifles (other than one from Israel and a couple from Russia) that are of the bolt varity bobo.
I do have an extremely beautiful Styer Mannlicher schoenauer and a English side by side double rifle that came from outside the states though, but then I guess I'm just getting older (old) :rolleyes: and the plethora of black/tan /olive/sand auto loaders have lost their appeal for me.
And if I was to go for a M1a, count on it, it would be of all American made retro cool.
If ya enjoy what ya have, good!
I just know what I like and enjoy
and was purely answering the op's question as to which of the two.
For a hunting purpose rifle, I'd recommend a pre 64 model 70 in -06 in it's original wood dress, but that's just me.

Which is going to be better for general hunting/use? I tend to favor the M1A with a polymer stock, but I'm open to suggestions.

Between the two I'd go with the the M1A every time. Just something about the wood n steel. I love AR's and have built many, but the AR-10 just doesn't do it for me. Back when I was a kid I swore if I ever could find a AR in 7.62 that would be the end all be all rifle for me. Nah, not so much now.

Now that I given my opinion as per the OP, what about an FN-FAL or even a M1 Garand? I've really come to love the FN's. I really like the adjustable gas system, and they are plenty accurate. After building my first M1 I decided to take it hunting one year. Got my buck opening morning with it. Since then I've taken several deer with it and it's just fun to hunt with/shoot. For general hunting/use don't over look "The greatest battle implement ever devised"
My:s0159:

I believe the M-1 is s fine Rifle but I also think the M-14 corrected a number of features. A better Magazine, lighter ammunition(which means more can be carried) that is Ballisticly the same, a shorter LOA and the ability to turn it into a Medium Machine Gun. I believe that if a certain General Officer had lived to see it he would have given a complete Thumbs Up to the improvements.

The advantage of the AR-10/AR308 is that it's a systems rifle from the get go and you don't have to bolt on things like pic rails to put it in a modern configuration. I do love the look and feel of the Garand based rifles, but just like a 1959 Cadillac I'd only use it when I felt nostalgic, and nothing wrong in that.

The Sage chassis based rifles are an improvement where utility is concerned, but they still have a bit of a Frankenrifle feel. Seems like they are trying to turn the rifle into an AR-10, which seems like a lot of effort when you can just go and get an AR-10.

My AR308, on the other hand already has everything I need on it, and since it's a short frame it's also much lighter. In fact, only a few ounces heavier than an AR-15. It also has all the great ergos of the AR platform and is also has a piston system.

upload_2017-7-12_8-31-50.png

My Armalite AR-10 has a Match Barrel for Sniper Use but I also have a Shorter Upper with an EOTECH for certain "OTHER" uses. Mine has a Fixed Stock because I have never seen a good use for the Collapsable type and they simply aren't as accurate for long range work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top