JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no requirement in ODFW regs for a magazine to be pinned in place. A detachable magazine can hold no more then 5rds. Which in the field hunting means 5+1

It must have changed, I see the regs state "Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater then five cartridges prohibited (except Western Grey Squirrel)" I could be remembering from a different time or different state, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement (anymore?) I think tube magazines are exempt too, which is generally .22LR, but can't find the verbage yet. Maybe it's California that doesn't allow the magazine to be removable when hunting. Good to know for sure now as far as Oregon is concerned.

:):)I'm doing the same now. Building a AR10 for hunting.
I had used a Remington 700vtr the last fews years and though I like it, it's pretty heavy itself.
The weight doesn't bother me, I like the AR set up and to me an AR would be much less expensive than a M1A. Even though I would love an M1A, everything is so expensive for them.

Besides, I had to buy another AR before they ban them :)

:):)I'm doing the same now. Building a AR10 for hunting.
I had used a Remington 700vtr the last fews years and though I like it, it's pretty heavy itself.
The weight doesn't bother me, I like the AR set up and to me an AR would be much less expensive than a M1A. Even though I would love an M1A, everything is so expensive for them.

Besides, I had to buy another AR before they ban them :)

Once you get the AR 10 built, you may be into it as much as an M1A. Get that thing put together and we can go head to head at the range.

It must have changed, I see the regs state "Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater then five cartridges prohibited (except Western Grey Squirrel)" I could be remembering from a different time or different state, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement (anymore?) I think tube magazines are exempt too, which is generally .22LR, but can't find the verbage yet. Maybe it's California that doesn't allow the magazine to be removable when hunting. Good to know for sure now as far as Oregon is concerned.

I have no idea about CA hunting rules but I have read the Oregon regs cover to cover every year since 1969 (I was 11 turned 12 2 days after season opened if I remember correctly) when I started hunting in Oregon and there has never been anything about a pinned magazine in the Oregon regs that I remember.

I "grew up" (in Parris Island) with an M14, so my M1A just feels right to me. But if I was more concerned about accuracy I'd look at the AR10.

However I think the best bet for me is the FNAR. Accurate, decent trigger, reasonably light, not too expensive. The one that really gets me drooling is the competition model.
<broken link removed>

I own an M-1A(loaded) and a Remington 742. Love the M-1A but not a hunting rifle IMO. The 742 is light, handy, reasonably accurate and powerful! It works every time, this hooey about debris and brass shavings in the action just isn't an issue. I've never had one tie up from either one. I take reasonable care that dirt, etc doesn't get in the action, when hunting! Sure, if you go to the range and shoot five boxes of -06 through it there will be brass residue in the action. So, clean it before you go hunting! The few rounds shot while hunting is nothing.
It's not designed as a combat rifle, so don't judge them by those standards! Just my $0.02.
Good luck finding what works for you!

I never have seen the draw to an AR style rifle for hunting.
But that's just me. May be for vermin and such.
But I'm not that big of an AR fan.
I mean if you need 5-10 rounds to kill a deer or elk,you needs more practice anyway.
But I'm a bolt gun,lever gun kinda guy when it comes to hunting

Ie. All the high cap mags?

image.jpeg image.png

I "grew up" (in Parris Island) with an M14, so my M1A just feels right to me. But if I was more concerned about accuracy I'd look at the AR10.

However I think the best bet for me is the FNAR. Accurate, decent trigger, reasonably light, not too expensive. The one that really gets me drooling is the competition model.
<broken link removed>

If I had to move to CA that's what I am getting, a very good looking rifle.

Brutus Out

Browning BAR wouldn't be a bad choice either if you had to have a semi-auto.

Ive never been a fan of semi-autos for hunting because they are heavier, noisy when chambering a round and get crud and brass chips in the actions.

You must be thinking of the old Mk II Browning BAR or the original BAR. The current BAR Mk III ( it used to be called the BAR Shorttrac and Longtrac, depending on the action length ) is much lighter in weight. Also also much easier to disassemble and maintain.

One can get a 308 BAR Mk III Stalker ( or a BAR Shorttrac ) with a 22 inch barrel that only weighs 6 lbs and 10 oz. That is quite a lightweight rifle indeed.

In contrast, the older BAR Mk II Stalker in 308 Win with a 22 inch barrel weighed 7 3/8th lbs. But even that is lightweight compared to a M1A or 308 AR.

wm_6030573.jpg

wm_6030574.jpg

wm_6030576.jpg

wm_6030577.jpg

Last Edited:
Newbie here (so grain o salt & all)...

How about setting up a .300 AAC BLK?

Ammunition is coming down on it quite a bit in price. Many different rounds available. Can use standard AR magazines, including 5 rounders (for hunting).

Thanks.

That is a pretty lousy hunting round compared to 308. Far less energy compared to a 308. It is really designed for short range shooting. Get out to longer hunting ranges, and the 300 ACC BLK has a rainbow like trajectory too, making it more challenging to hit your target.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top