JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most rifles carry 5 rds,
For an AR it's no different. You have a 10 rd mag with a 5 rd limiter installed. You can't carry more than that hunting anyway. At least not here in WA.

It is nice, However, to have a back up 20 rd mag for 2 legged crack heads or drunk hunters mistaking you for an animal.

Most rifles carry 5 rds,
For an AR it's no different. You have a 10 rd mag with a 5 rd limiter installed. You can't carry more than that hunting anyway. At least not here in WA.

It is nice, However, to have a back up 20 rd mag for 2 legged crack heads or drunk hunters mistaking you for an animal.
No limit on you magazine in Washington per an hunting licence instructor.
All that's great, I just wouldn't use an AR for hunting deer or elk. Or much other than coyote and vermin

The DPMS GII pattern 308's weigh in starting at 7.25 lbs, with the heavier barreled and free floated hunter version at 7.76 lbs. If you want a light weight piston 308, Adams makes their piston system on the light(er) weight GII pattern as well. I have the free floated version (Patrol battle rifle) at 8.15 lbs, still very huntable.

-Anyways I was thinking on the OP's question of 7.62 when I mention .300 AAC. It'd just be easier / more cost effective to go .300. Plus those two rounds can be quite similar effective range / energy. Again just my understanding anyways
7.62x51? That's what the OP was asking about, and even in a 16" barrel the 7.62x51/.308 would have a far better effective range and energy than .300 AAC BLK. The 7.62x39 might have the same effective range, but the energy is better. Not that energy alone really matters as much as shot placement though.

No limit on you magazine in Washington per an hunting licence instructor.
All that's great, I just wouldn't use an AR for hunting deer or elk. Or much other than coyote and vermin

You are indeed right. It would be perfectly legal to hunt deer in Washington with a 308 AR with a 50 round drum magazine.

Washington is one of the few states with no mag limitation for big game hunting.

-Anyways I was thinking on the OP's question of 7.62 when I mention .300 AAC. It'd just be easier / more cost effective to go .300. Plus those two rounds can be quite similar effective range / energy. Again just my understanding anyways.

No, what you are saying here is not at all correct or valid. Look again at the title of the thread. The question was about rifles in 7.62x51mm caliber. That is just another name for 7.62 NATO or 308 Winchester. It has nothing to do with 300 Blackout.

308 Win and 300 Blackout are nowhere REMOTELY close to each other in effective range, trajectory, energy, or stopping power. Even if you do have zero hunting experience, just consulting some ballistics charts for popular hunting loads for these cartridges would easily confirm that for you.

If you have no practical or firsthand experience of any kind in these matters, then the least that you should do is to do more research. Making comments like these that are so very far off-base in their accuracy from actual reality hardly contributes much to the discussion.

Just look at how small the case capacity of the 300 Blackout is, compared to 308 Win.

I've actually never, ever heard anyone before claim that they are comparable cartridges.

004.jpg

The DPMS GII pattern 308's weigh in starting at 7.25 lbs, with the heavier barreled and free floated hunter version at 7.76 lbs. If you want a light weight piston 308, Adams makes their piston system on the light(er) weight GII pattern as well. I have the free floated version (Patrol battle rifle) at 8.15 lbs, still very huntable.

Smith and Wesson's M&P 10 rifle is also quite lightweight for a 308 AR. It has an 18 inch barrel with a great profile, and comes in at 7.7 lbs.

I just picked up the enhanced patrol sf308. Adams arms makes great uppers, and their piston systems are second to none. Put a bunch of rounds through it and really satisfied. Switching out scope though so accuracy TBD with a Nikon P 308.

I just picked up the enhanced patrol sf308. Adams arms makes great uppers, and their piston systems are second to none. Put a bunch of rounds through it and really satisfied. Switching out scope though so accuracy TBD with a Nikon P 308.

Sweet - I have the battle rifle version. Only slightly heavier than an AR-15 with all the punch of 7.62x51. How do you like than Nikon scope?

An AR-10 will be a pound or more lighter and have better ergonomics due to pistol grip, adjustable stock, and safety selector. The AR design is inherently very accurate and recoil is a straight line to the shoulder. With a decent trigger upgrade (that doesn't require a gunsmith) it matches the M1A for accuracy. Scope mounting is easy due to the integral picatinny rail and the rifle is almost infinity configurable to match the needs of the shooter. Iron sights are not always included. It will also tend to be less expensive than an M1A.

The M1A is beautiful, accurate, and as reliable as a semi-auto can get - what's not to like in yet another John Browning knock it out of the park design? The safety selector is intuitive and by it's own nature ambidextrous. Scope mounts via adapter that screws into the side like an AK-47. Iron sights are built in and excellent. There is a SOCOM 16 QCB rifle that has both pistol grip and adjustable stock, but weight increases to nearly 9 1/4 lbs.

When it comes to dialing in the rifle to meet your specific needs, the M14 & M1A gives you unmatched flexibility. Folding butt stock, Bull pup, pistol grip, modern chassis, retro GI, and barrels from 16.25" to 22" with awesome iron sights.

Here is a CQB-16 in a modern pistol grip stock with a straight line butt stock, and flip up battle sights. You can mount and aiming device you like on the monolithic top rail.

naked.CQB-16.BF-RS.L.JPG

The M14 that I am currently setting up will utilize a 22" barreled action, and I will eventually mount a scout scope low & out in front of the receiver.

MBSA-M21-A5.JPG

Here is a CQB-16 in a modern pistol grip stock with a straight line butt stock, and flip up battle sights. You can mount and aiming device you like on the monolithic top rail.

<broken link removed>

You have to dig that setup, but what does that bad boy weigh?

254928-d4de1606564095d29837eef58107091d.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top