JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a long time AR-10 owner, I'm partial to the M1A, or the M24 Sniper Rifle. Battle tested design and a long distinguished history. The Springfield M1A's have a 1:11 twist, which stabilizes (above 2.5) M80 147gr all the way to 175gr, which gives you a wide compatibility with ammo. My AR can't shoot M80 worth a darn, and has been mostly reliable but the majority of battle rifles worth a darn have piston actuated actions, and I just have more confidence in them and they tend to have almost mythological reliability (SKS, AK, FN-FAL, M1A, etc). Definitely stick to the .30 cal family though if you want an all-around hunting rig.

I have a Spanish Mauser (short barrel, bolt action) that shoots well, but I would love to have an M1A with a polymer stock. I sold my M1 Garand, (it was too heavy for me). Since daddy was Navy Rifle Team/ UDT (Frogman) I learned from the best.

My heart belongs to the .30-06, but I will settle for the .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51).

Lord, I'm getting old. :s0118:

Last Edited:
I have a Spanish Mauser (short barrel, bolt action) that shoots well, but I would love to have an M1A with a polymer stock. I sold my M1 Garand, (it was too heavy for me). Since daddy was Navy Rifle Team/ UDT (Frogman) I learned from the best.

My hear belongs to the .30-06, but I will settle for the .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51).

Lord, I'm getting old. :s0118:

The M1A wont solve the heavy thing. What you save in wood foregrip pieces, you gain right back if you use the standard 20 round magazine. AR10s arent light either.

Is this strictly a hunting rifle? I wouldnt lug around any semi-auto, especially one with a larger box magazine.

You are well antiquated with the M1 Garand, so the M14/M1A should be an easy transition for you. If weight is a concern, stick with a standard weight barrel, 22" for iron sights, 18" if you plan to use an optic.

If you're just wanting a hunting rig, a lever action or bolt action is best. Personally, levers are the way to go for any mixed hardwood/conifer terrain, where you'd rarely make a shot over 100 yds. A .444 Marlin has an effective range beyond that even. Bolt action could be a nice bench shooter as well as a hunting rig, especially if you're thinking of hunting cervids in savannah or desert terrain out to 3 or 4 hundred yards. A semi auto rifle for hunting is kind of a hindrance. You'd have to have a 5 round mag 'pinned' in during hunting season to hunt with an AR or M1A (at least in Oregon).

Last Edited:
If you're just wanting a hunting rig, a lever action or bolt action is best. Personally, levers are the way to go for any mixed hardwood/conifer terrain, where you'd rarely make a shot over 100 yds. A .444 Marlin has an effective range beyond that even. Bolt action could be a nice bench shooter as well as a hunting rig, especially if you're thinking of hunting cervids in savannah or desert terrain out to 3 or 4 hundred yards. An semi auto rifle for hunting is kind of a hindrance. You'd have to have a 5 round mag 'pinned' in during hunting season to hunt with an AR or M1A (at least in Oregon).

I know this. Dad had a Remington 740 back in the '60s with a Leupold "Gold Ring" scope. Perhaps I should look into a bolt action '06 to replace the Spanish Mauser. (The rifle is okay, but I'm fond of the 150 grain Sierra Boat Tail Spitzer). They worked for Dad.

He's been gone almost 41 years. God help me, I miss him so.

I fell in love with the M1A.. While I lust after an AR 10 (and variants), Im quite happy with what I currently have.

Reliability and parts/accessories have really come a long ways for the AR10's (and variants).. Where as the M1A is less modular and can be a little bit of a pain to fullt break down (op rod)

Choices, Choices! I have no problems with any of the recommendations! So, Fraid i'm not much help here, For the money, it's really hard to beat a Tikka T-3! If you really want an auto, that Browning BAR would be just about perfect!

If it helps, I own a bolt action 308. However I shot a very nice, high end, semi AR10 build today out to 450 that put my bolt gun to shame.

IMHO, unless you like weight or just used to hiking long distances with said weight, just get a bolt action rifle.

Between the two, I'm partial to the AR-10, simply because it isn't so open and takes less effort to make it accurate, and even less effort to maintain its accuracy. The AR-10 doesn't have common parts like the AR-15 does though. Other than that, a quality M14 (or M1A I suppose) is a good option as well.

Or have both, never hurts to diversify. Despite what the banks say.

... A semi auto rifle for hunting is kind of a hindrance. You'd have to have a 5 round mag 'pinned' in during hunting season to hunt with an AR or M1A (at least in Oregon).

I didn't know the 5 rounder had to be pinned, that seems a hassle.

-Not to thread drift-

Can we (in Oregon) hunt with no mag in place using a semi-auto? ie single shot?

Thanks!

If you're just wanting a hunting rig, a lever action or bolt action is best. Personally, levers are the way to go for any mixed hardwood/conifer terrain, where you'd rarely make a shot over 100 yds. A .444 Marlin has an effective range beyond that even. Bolt action could be a nice bench shooter as well as a hunting rig, especially if you're thinking of hunting cervids in savannah or desert terrain out to 3 or 4 hundred yards. A semi auto rifle for hunting is kind of a hindrance. You'd have to have a 5 round mag 'pinned' in during hunting season to hunt with an AR or M1A (at least in Oregon).

I didn't know the 5 rounder had to be pinned, that seems a hassle.

-Not to thread drift-

Can we (in Oregon) hunt with no mag in place using a semi-auto? ie single shot?

Thanks!

We're just restricted to a five-round magazine. The magazine cannot accept more than five rounds. That is all... I have no further information. ;)

Unless that's a new "rule", I think you're mistaken about that magazine being pinned in... can you cite the ODFW regulation that states that?

I've legally hunted over the years with a 5-round mag in an AR (and an AK) for the 4-legged critters that are in season with a couple of 30-rounders in my cargo pocket for the 2-legged "critters" that may decide to come out of the bushes & get... frisky. o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top