JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most people would get pretty riled up over what happened to Country Gent with his Rossi, but he sees a bigger picture.
He chooses not to spend all that time, energy and money on "stickin' it to them" and ends up with a nicer, better gun than he would've gotten in the trade-out (if it were done as they said they would do it)….AND, he still has a "gun" that he can trade off for....anything!
Country Gent not only wins, but teaches us all a lesson in restraint and using one's noggin' for something besides a "hat rack" (as my father used to say).
Congrats on your latest grab Gent. Can't wait to see the pics when she arrives. :s0155:

Dean

Thanks for the kinds words. According to the tracking information it should be here Monday and, if so, I will post pics then. :)

I briefly stopped by my office / workshop whilst returning to town and there was a UPS tag that said they tried to deliver, but it requires a 21+ year old's signature. The office supplies and computer parts that I routinely receive there don't require that, so I'm guessing it is the Taurus 605, but don't know for sure.

On that score, to be clear, I'm not knocking the 605; the one I've shot and packed since 2005 has been a darn fine piece. Both me and the wife have carried said at various times in travels.* It just isn't anything like, feature wise, to the revolver Rossi absconded with. :s0112:

* Funny side story: my wife is ambidextrous. She shoots automatics right-handed, but revolvers left-handed. Why? Your guess is as good as mine, friends. :p

Well, the Smith came in today:

1566851299578.png

Sometime in early 1974, a Shooting Times article compared a Ruger Security Six to a Colt Python and a Smith (all 6" .357's). The Ruger took the accuracy award.

Six years ago I took in on trade a Smith M60 3" 38spl and a Smith 686 .357 6". The M60 reminded me just how accurate a good .38 can be. I shot the 686 against my Security Six with the full knowledge and certain intention that the Ruger would go "down the road" against the full-lug barrel Smith.

The Model 60 is still here. So is my Security Six.
There are differences in accuracy among guns of the same make and model. So if you have a single 686 and a single security 6 at best you cn only conclude that that particular security 6 is more accurate than that particular 686. And then only if you have a ransom rest. Otherwise you may simply see the sights better on one. Also, different guns have different ammo preferences. You might have found a different gun more accurate with a different change of ammo.

I've had two different Security 6s (a snubbie and a 6 inch), a Colt .357, and a 686 snubbie. The 686 is by far my favorite of the .357s Ive had. Its a pre-lock 686-4. The others simply aren't in the same league with respect to SA and DA trigger. In fact, with both Securities I had to change springs to get a decent trigger, and while I was happy with them when I had them, that was only until the first time I handled a 686. The 686 has a full underlug. So even my snubbie with a 2.5 inch barrel is easy and pleasant to shoot even with heavy loads and one handed with weak hand. The underlug gives even the snubby version of the 686 a very muzzle-heavy feel. If you prefer the traditional balance and/or less total weight, you would prefer the smith model 66 instead of 686.

If you're okay with new Smiths with their locks, you might go for a 686+ 7-shot. If I was going to carry a full-size .357 these days, I would want to check out the smith 627 5 inch. Its just a little over your $1000 price. But it's an N frame 8-round .357 with chamfered charge holes, PC-tuned action with a trigger stop. Weighs 44.4 oz unloaded.

There are differences in accuracy among guns of the same make and model. So if you have a single 686 and a single security 6 at best you cn only conclude that that particular security 6 is more accurate than that particular 686. And then only if you have a ransom rest. Otherwise you may simply see the sights better on one. Also, different guns have different ammo preferences. You might have found a different gun more accurate with a different change of ammo.
As represented, my experience with these guns is exactly that: MY experience. (Which happened to coincide to a "test" reported in print.) I was careful to not make sweeping generalizations and in that respect I was fully aware of the "limited sampling" of guns.

On my part however, there was no limited sampling of ammunition tried between the 686 and the Ruger. I WANTED the Smith to win out. I KNEW that full-lug Smith would outshoot the Security Six. Since I hunt with these guns what is important to me is how that gun shoots FOR ME. The gun has to be accurate while I struggle in the prairie at being a poor substitute for a Ransom Rest. From bag-rest on the bench to offhand (two handed), these guns digested loads across the spectrum (factory and handload). Maybe the best I can say is "this" gun beat "that" gun.

Maybe that's all Shooting Times was saying.

Before heading into work, I hiked up to the home range did a little shooting with the Smith. Results:

• As expected, zero malfunctions. Shot a mix of Winchester HP and Hornady Leverevolution .357 Magnum loads.
  • I didn't shoot at paper, but rather metal spinners I have setup at various ranges. No trouble making them spin if I did my part.
  • Nice, crisp trigger pull.
  • Felt recoil was downright pleasant compared to some other .357 Magnums.
  • I normally swap grips on revolvers, but I don't think I'll have to with this one.
Still need lots more trigger time, but so far, so good.

Speakin' of grips, I noticed that one has the S&W logo on it. Is that the modern version of the old Magna grip?

Dean

To be honest I am not sure. I only have one other Smith (Model 29 Classic), so not really up on all the variants. I do have a reference book at home that might tell me. :)

Metallic silhouettes means Ruger.. GP-100. You're generally talking the hottest loads possible for that game.
I've heard that but I shot NRA Hunter Pistol with my Smith and Wesson Model 41, just for fun, and had no trouble knocking down the Targets as long as I hit them on the Upper Half.

I did a bunch of shooting with it, and the .44, just now. Range report two:

• No malfunctions.
  • Shot around 200 rounds mix of .38 Special and .357 Magnum.
  • The .38 Specials are an absolute delight to shoot. Almost no felt recoil at all and I could plink away with said for a very long time.
  • The .357 Magnums are more spunky, but frankly it is a pussycat compared to other wheelguns so chambered.
  • I shot 1/5 scale metallic silhouettes, two different spinners, and some other random things, and was able to score hits. (There is something strangely satisfying about launching silhouettes with the magnum revolvers. I'm not sure why; maybe I am just silly.)
So, I think the right call was made on the replacement. Thanks again to everyone who helped. Now time to mix up some Sangría and go read in the sun. Life is good. Cheers, friends. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top