JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Ruger is good, can't go wrong with that - I like them, they are tanks that sometimes could use some refinement and tuning (which there are many gunsmiths who will gladly work on them) or you can just go with them as they are - certainly much better than a Rossi or a Taurus (I've owned two Taurus revolvers).

That said, just as another choice if no one else has suggested it - I like my S&W TRR8.

Expensive. Not everyone's cup of tea, but flexible (the rails can be removed and reattached as desired), 8 shots, lightweight for field carry, but balance is nice and recoil is not objectionable (certainly less than the SP101 snubby I once owned). For pins and silhouettes it would be okay to good, not sure about the classes but again the rails give you flexibility there, and then you could return it to bare for carrying or just leave the rails on without optics or laser/etc.

With 8 shots you get some advantages too.

smith-wesson-model-327-trr8-revolver-1135010-1.jpg
170269-2.jpg

That is a cool Smith, what is the frame made of ? And why doesn't the Cylinder fill the window better, Is it a .357 ?

The frame (and I think the barrel shroud) is Scandium/Aluminum alloy. The cylinder and barrel are steel.

It is a model 327, so the frame and cylinder are the same relative size as the Model 27. If you look at the latter you will see that they are the same relative size:

medium-6637.jpg

As it has been many months since I filed the claim for the settlement, and I'm killing time before what will be a spectacularly stupid meeting, I checked the settlement site. No info on what I was looking for, but I did see this in the FAQ about the warranty:

• If a Class Revolver cannot be made safe through repair and must be replaced, Braztech will provide a replacement Taurus-brand revolver of similar caliber and barrel length.

Liar, liar ...

:p

I had to send in a my Rossi 97206 in due to a recall. The deal is they would repair anything required, pay for shipping both ways, and provide $50 for the hassle. Fair enough, I sent it in. I get a call just now saying they can't repair it, but they will replace it. But, wait, they no longer make the 97206, so they'll send another wheelgun. My one and only option? A blued, Taurus 605 snub. So, I send in a full-size, six-shot, stainless steel, .357 Magnum and they are replacing it with a small, five-shot, 2" barrel snubbie that is worth less than the aforementioned. Since it isn't an exact replacement, they have to send it to an FFL, which fortunately I have, but that would have been an extra kick in nether regions if I didn't. And I have yet to see a $50 check. WTF Rossi? :mad:

Anyway, being that I already have a Taurus 605 and don't need another snub, I'm going to sell it and buy an actual replacement. On that score, can anyone recommend a revolver that is:

• Full-size.
  • 6-shot or more capacity.
  • Stainless steel.
  • Decent quality fit and finish.
  • Decent trigger pull.
  • 6" barrel.
  • Adjustable sights.
  • Decent aftermarket support with respect to custom grips.
  • Not some oddball manufacturer that will make obtaining parts a PITA.
  • Not crazy expensive.
To answer the "what for" question:

• Shooting metallic silhouettes. (Standard sized chicken, pig, turkey, and ram.)
  • Shooting bowling pins.
  • Holster carry when on my own property.
  • Maybe carry while hiking.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Ruger, though I am open to a Smith or other manufacturer. Thanks for any recommendations. :)
S&W 66, of which I have one in 4" and love it, or a S&W 686.
GunInv2016-SWRev1.jpg

Old S&W are great. Same with Colts if you can afford them. New S&W seem to be pretty mediocre; even a "Custom Shop" has just ok lockup of the cylinder with the hammer cocked. Old Rugers are great, and new ones are probably the best value out there for the money. GP100 is a nice gun; older ones are even nicer. Same with Security Six.

I have owned most of them over the years. Right now i have a 5 inch GP100. Its, my favorite so far. The N frame smiths are very good too.
But the n frames have Short Cylinder, Not a problem for most people. But if you want to hand load long heavy for caliber bullets you will need to seat very deep to keep them from sticking out the front.
Seems weird that the 44 n frames fill the window much better, but look at the N frame .357s And look how long the Forcing cone is and the gap between the face of the Cylinder and the frame.
Still an excellent gun, But I would keep my GP100 without a doubt, Unless of course somebody had a registered 357 the wanted to trade ! ...tj3006

The 19s and 66s can have fantastic triggers. They are very good guns. If i found a nice one for 5 bills i would jump too. I would load light magnums for most of my shooting with it. It is much lighter than my GP 100. Not as rugged, but will hold up fine if you don,t push things alot...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top