JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only option I had was silver solder. I would have preffered welding but only have a flux core welder and couldn't find any stainless steel for it locally.

Okay, I actually managed to shoot 10 rounds of 420grain hard cast with 10grains of trailboss. They shoot super nice and kicks barely like my 357. As I said "meh, not too bad" I put a 350grain FTX with 39grains of w296 in (just above min load according to Hornady). Pulled the trigger and though I had a grenade explode in my hand. The concussion was UNREAL. I have never experienced anything like that, so much that I checked if I still had all my fingers. I was behind our car as my wife sat in the car, she opened the door "are you okay??? it shook the entire car!!! wtf".

unfortunately, the seam of my repair cracked again and I have to address this differently now but HOLY COW, It rattled every nerve and every bone in my body. Insane, absolutely insane. How does this go if you need it and don't have ear pro? At least you won't hear the bear anymore???

Okay, I actually managed to shoot 10 rounds of 420grain hard cast with 10grains of trailboss. They shoot super nice and kicks barely like my 357. As I said "meh, not too bad" I put a 350grain FTX with 39grains of w296 in (just above min load according to Hornady). Pulled the trigger and though I had a grenade explode in my hand. The concussion was UNREAL. I have never experienced anything like that, so much that I checked if I still had all my fingers. I was behind our car as my wife sat in the car, she opened the door "are you okay??? it shook the entire car!!! wtf".

unfortunately, the seam of my repair cracked again and I have to address this differently now but HOLY COW, It rattled every nerve and every bone in my body. Insane, absolutely insane. How does this go if you need it and don't have ear pro? At least you won't hear the bear anymore???
What does/did the fired primer look like? Did it look roughly like a factory load? Curious.

Crazy is, they all looked very flat. Which is odd. The ones with the trail boss didn't look any different, also very flat.

Edit: Correction, it was a 300grain FTX with 45grains of w296. (still on the low end)

The Primers honestly didn't look any flatter than in my 357mag. The Gun has 0 cylinder endshake and seems very tight. Anyhow, I'll check headspacing!

This is what I was going by. I weighed every charge by hand.

Screenshot_20200816-115808.png

.66 headspace is within spec. What I found was a spec of min .60 and max .70 for rimmed cartridges, I guess it could do some tightening but it seems okay.

Cylinder gap is lot less than .10 that was the smalles feeler I had available and it did not go inbetween

Anyway, I guess everyone makes mistakes at somepoint. I won't be using w296 anymore for anything pure lead. Im glad nothing more happened and I didn't get hurt. Gonna take apart the bullets I still have and gotta figure out how to fix this Revolver...

I sense that the biggest baddest snubbie in OR is in your future. ;-)

unfortunately, the seam of my repair cracked again and I have to address this differently now
Have you considered contacting Taurus, pleading 'insanity' and maybe they will go 'easy' on you on an replacement barrel and any other repairs needed?

Last Edited:
OK, I'll say it. STOP shooting this gun you've done obvious damage to it and who knows what unseen damage there is. Even a Taurus is a precise made high pressure containment device. Fixing a blown up barrel with a hammer and silver solder is a fools mission and will only get worse, not better. Next since you obviously know more about reloading than any reloading manual STOP reloading right now and stick to factory ammo before you hurt yourself or someone else badly.

OK, I'll say it. STOP shooting this gun you've done obvious damage to it and who knows what unseen damage there is. Even a Taurus is a precise made high pressure containment device. Fixing a blown up barrel with a hammer and silver solder is a fools mission and will only get worse, not better. Next since you obviously know more about reloading than any reloading manual STOP reloading right now and stick to factory ammo before you hurt yourself or someone else badly.

My vote on this -- which is worth exactly zero -- but nonetheless: @Knebel should take it to a gunsmith and if the rest of the gun is good to go, have the damaged section cut off and a new sight affixed. It would be a pretty awesome custom snubbie at that point.

yeah. its a Taurus that's not made anymore. And contacting Taurus lead to absolutely nothing. They aren't gonna sell a barrel even if they had one.
It gotta get some custom work done. Meaning, custom Muzzle brake. Last resort is the "snub nose". And I'll keep my eyes peeled for a replacement barrel. Anyway, ill post a pic when its done.

I never claimed to know more than a reloading manual. I assumed "lead is lead" and went by the weight. WRONG, I didn't know and I have learned. Anyhow, lead will now only be shot with Trailboss, like I do in my 357.

Also, nothing else wrong with the gun other than the crack in the Muzzle. When I looked at it, it also looked like a flaw in the casting that maybe or may not has weakened that specific spot.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top