JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm startin to think he might have a Battle ship gunner that got stuck when he tried to crawl up the gun tube to check for wear and they had to put in a half bag of powder to get him out! Lust sayin, might have gotten a bit of powder burned during that event!

Naw, I want one of those .22 cal Loudandboomin rounds posted elsewhere! Sounds like just the ticket for suppressed shootin from a light carbine SBR AR!:eek: I wonder if that conversion dude can make me a conversion for my M-1 Garand, cause I don't want to be carryin so much heavy ammo, cause that might make me miss more!:D I must be gettin old, Might have to start humpin spit wads real soon, cause those .22 rounds might start fealin heavy. I wonder what the ATF says about a suppressed spit ball shooter? I wonder if I could kill any fish with my suppressed spit ball SBR? Maybe that WORD dude knows?:p
You can shoot fish with it too:D

When I was in Afghanistan as an operator and we had to hand load our own 308 in the field under fire using gunpowder made from my squad mates urine and charred haji, we could nevrr get our handmade sniper bullets made from the bullets of the very AK rounds they were shooting at us to shoot less than 1/4milrad at a mile and a half where we liked to engage them.

Next I'll tell you how to cook.

Almost bought a 80 center .308 lower.....but I decided to save my nickels and get Gen 2 DPMS or Remington R25 in .308.
Lighter rifle than most .308 battle rifles and all the punch
Brutus Out

Also consider the Adams 308 if you want a piston AR - it's built in the DPMS G2 pattern and not much heavier then most AR-15's.

...The cost of AR-10 builds is a real concern to me as well- I'm wondering if it's possible for me to put together an AR-10 with a 18" or 20" barrel for less than $1500 (minus optics of course). ...

You can buy fully assembled AR-10/AR308 rifles for around $1,000, Even the Adams Enhanced Patrol piston rifle can be had for that price as can the S&W M&P 10 as well as some of the DPMS rifles.

Google "300 blackout kaboom"
It is very possible to chamber a .300 into a .556 by accident and people who have gone great lengths to avoid doing so, have.

YES, YES, and YES. If I were going to run both ammo types I'd color code receivers and mags to make sure I didn't accidentally mess up, and then I'd still have to double check with every mag swap in every rifle.

Unless you are going to suppress it,go with a 762x39. You can probably find a shooter for as much as a 300 upper.

This pretty much reflects my thoughts on the topic. I'd be open to checking out .300 Blackout if I had lots of money to spend, but I have been thinking a lot about the logistical considerations of having so many different calibers, should a SHTF situation occur. This lead me to dump my 6.8 SPC and .40 S&W calibered weapons in the last few years, and trim down the diversity in my ammo supply, and focus on common military/LE calibers. I know this isn't a priority for everyone, and that's fine. Just giving you something else to consider, for what it's worth.

I can see how the ability to use standard AR-15 mags is what makes it a liability with .300 BO- I am serious when I shoot, so I think I could keep different calibers of ammo separated. The .300 BO round seems like a great CQB choice, but after reading all of the posts here I can say I think the .308W would be a better next choice for my next rifle in a different caliber.

It's good to see there are reasonably priced AR-10's like the Adams Enhanced Patrol piston rifle and the S&W M&P 10- what other models are there that are well known good performers, but still under $1500?

Geno

It's good to see there are reasonably priced AR-10's like the Adams Enhanced Patrol piston rifle and the S&W M&P 10- what other models are there that are well known good performers, but still under $1500?

Geno

If your heart isn't set on an AR-10 platform, you may consider a PTR-91 or FN FAL clone. A new PTR-91 will cost well under $1,000, and magazines are dirt cheap & plentiful.

A FAL-type, built on a STG-58 or Imbel parts kit with DSA, Imbel, or Coonan receiver, can be had in the $1500 range, or less.

Marketplace - The FAL Files

It's just my old humble opinion, but unless one is going to use the .300 BO/acc for it's designed purpose as a silenced weapon (and short ranged at that) then your better off not going with it.

It became all the rage by some, due to its use as an (operators:rolleyes:) round.
But again, it's just my opinion that you could be far better served by the many far cheaper and superior rounds available.

It's just my old humble opinion, but unless one is going to use the .300 BO/acc for it's designed purpose as a silenced weapon (and short ranged at that) then your better off not going with it.

It became all the rage by some, due to its use as an (operators:rolleyes:) round.
But again, it's just my opinion that you could be far better served by the many far cheaper and superior rounds available.
You're right, it was developed for a specific purpose, which it actually excels at.
But, for most non-operator types, the only reason to buy one is "it's a gun I don't have yet. And guns are neat".

MK319 MOD 0 SOST/T762TNB1 for your AR-10 - 130gr @2850 fps. Bullet design is optimized for barrier penetration without over penetrating soft targets. Ammunition is only slightly heavier than 7.72x39 (+20gr bullet and a short amount of brass case).

Use these in a DPMS GII pattern rifle and you outclass the AR-15 and AK-47 ballistics with very little weight gain. You still have the flexibility of 1,000+ yard accuracy and effective energy using 175 grain OTP match grade ammunition.

...on mixing up .300 BO mags. I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, or not.

Blue painters tape wrapped around the magazine. Great tip I picked up from on here.

The tape is also extra in case I forget a roll, for taping targets up.

I also use silver colored sharpie to note what it is (gr/manufacturer).

I use that blue painters tape/silver sharpie trick on ammo cans too.

I built my suppressed SBR .300 Blackout for the express purpose of surviving a zombie hoard attack.
It's perfect for those mid range head shots.

Last Edited:
I can see how the ability to use standard AR-15 mags is what makes it a liability with .300 BO- I am serious when I shoot, so I think I could keep different calibers of ammo separated. The .300 BO round seems like a great CQB choice, but after reading all of the posts here I can say I think the .308W would be a better next choice for my next rifle in a different caliber.

Geno

If I had not put so much money into customizing my DPMS 308, I would probably consider getting the S&W M&P 10. But then I just don't do as much shooting at the range anymore, anyway. And I am happy with my first generation DPMS, other than the heavy weight.

There are a number of very informative videos about the M&P 10 online:

Don't forget that Salem will most likely be targeting outlawing high cap mags in next year's legislative session too. And PMAGs work just fine in the S&W.

PMAG® 20 LR/SR GEN M3™

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads