JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently finished my Spike's Tactical ST-15 build and got it up and running- fired about a 100 rounds through it last week down at the Albany Gun Club. I was very pleased with the rifle's performance, and I'm sure I will continue to shoot it in the upcoming months as time permits. After my trip up I have plenty of 5.56 ammo and mags now, so I will continue to practice, upgrade to optics, and get more comfortable with the rifle as built.

But I've also been doing some reading on the .300 AAC Blackround round- I like the increased hitting power of it, the versatility of being able to load .300 Blackout into regular AR-15/M4 mags, use the same lower, and have a complete .300 Blackout upper receiver assembly that can bolt onto my existing lower. I know going with .308 requires a new upper receiver assembly, dedicated AR-10 magazines too- I'm not sure if having a separate rifle chambered in .308 is even justifiable right now, given the cost of building a complete rifle in this caliber. I also realize both .300 Blackout and .308W are markedly more expensive than 5.56 ammo too. I'm not really experienced enough to know if it's really worth the added expense and trouble of having more sizes of ammo to stock. All opinions and advice from those who have .300 AAC Blackout and/or .308W AR rifles is welcome and appreciated.

Geno

I recently finished my Spike's Tactical ST-15 build and got it up and running- fired about a 100 rounds through it last week down at the Albany Gun Club. I was very pleased with the rifle's performance, and I'm sure I will continue to shoot it in the upcoming months as time permits. After my trip up I have plenty of 5.56 ammo and mags now, so I will continue to practice, upgrade to optics, and get more comfortable with the rifle as built.

But I've also been doing some reading on the .300 AAC Blackround round- I like the increased hitting power of it, the versatility of being able to load .300 Blackout into regular AR-15/M4 mags, use the same lower, and have a complete .300 Blackout upper receiver assembly that can bolt onto my existing lower. I know going with .308 requires a new upper receiver assembly, dedicated AR-10 magazines too- I'm not sure if having a separate rifle chambered in .308 is even justifiable right now, given the cost of building a complete rifle in this caliber. I also realize both .300 Blackout and .308W are markedly more expensive than 5.56 ammo too. I'm not really experienced enough to know if it's really worth the added expense and trouble of having more sizes of ammo to stock. All opinions and advice from those who have .300 AAC Blackout and/or .308W AR rifles is welcome and appreciated.

Geno

From what I've read and watched, the 300blk is designed to get to full velocity in sub 16" barrels, which to me would be a major benefit then a 10" barreled .223 where you have lots of velocity fall off.

Most people I know with 300blk load them themselves to be sub sonic and run them with suppressors.

I'm not sure there is a marketed difference in Ft lbs of energy at the target though.

.308 is a monster round compared to the others in regards to energy and is spendy to shoot. More of a long range (500+ yards) or a hunting round IMO. Unless you want it for SHTF and then it will go thru walls and houses and stuff.

.300 BO is fun but not a longer range accurate caliber. It's also not really viable for hunting as the bullet travels slow and expansion sucks. I'll admit it here once that I found that out the hard way. I should have used .223 or my .308 which is preferred.

Now... exchange an upper and you shoot .223 and .300 from the same platform is handy. That's why lots of people run .300BO. Weapons familiarity.

Hey Geno,

I'm in the same boat, with the same learning curve. Perhaps a bit longer learning curve...

I have one of the Ruger SR556's in the takedown version, with the extra .300 AAC barrel. Bought it more as a "want" than as a future "need", if that makes sense.

Also because of my personal concern in regards to political trends.

I figured it would make a great first rifle for me in .223/5.56, and it absultely does. The super quick conversion to .300AAC is more of a novelty/investment for me at this point, if that further makes sense. I need to shoot well with both cartridges first, before I can weigh in on which one might work better for me in particular situations.

Another plus with the .300AAC, to me anyways, is the ability to hunt with it. But that again is also a further ways off for me. I need to learn to shoot it well first. I also need to learn how to properly hunt (regulations, proper game taking/butchering etc etc).

--To further confound things--

I'm picking up a C308 semi-auto rifle tomorrow. So that adds in even more learning, with more ammo choices (what will & what will not work well with it). Definitely not a precision rifle, but the price point along with reviews & my political concerns made it a definite purchase "go" for me. At about a third to half the cost & upwards vs the cost of an AR10 platform.

Magazines for it cost about $3-$4, so at least it's not a huge hit to the bank on stocking up a "few" of them.

Ammunition, OTOH, well you know the cost differences there. And to be cost effective long term using it at the range will really take learning reloading skills. A skill worth learning anyways...

Since I'll have .308 ammo, I'm also considering a .308 bolt gun for hunting. So that would then "almost" eliminate the need to maintain .300AAC...Kind of a big convoluted circle. :)

I see now why .300BO is popular with the AR pistol set- hard hitting big bullet even at subsonic velocity, it seems it would shine in CQB scenarios. If I'm using any type of AR in an emergency situation, I'm not too concerned about noise too- I'm sure the bad guys will be using rifles as well, so no suppressor. Being that AR pistols will be banned soon in CA, I see no point in going that route- so that leaves the .308W as the logical choice for me. In 2-3 years that won't matter to me, but for now it's a concern until I'm out of here.

The cost of AR-10 builds is a real concern to me as well- I'm wondering if it's possible for me to put together an AR-10 with a 18" or 20" barrel for less than $1500 (minus optics of course). I'm planning to buy a multi-station reloader too, so the increased cost of ammo should be offset by shooting reloads. But buying a hunting rifle in .308W is a great way to get into the caliber without having to get into the high buy in cost of an AR-10. Good idea, Jon.

Geno

I see now why .300BO is popular with the AR pistol set- hard hitting big bullet even at subsonic velocity, it seems it would shine in CQB scenarios. If I'm using any type of AR in an emergency situation, I'm not too concerned about noise too- I'm sure the bad guys will be using rifles as well, so no suppressor. Being that AR pistols will be banned soon in CA, I see no point in going that route- so that leaves the .308W as the logical choice for me. In 2-3 years that won't matter to me, but for now it's a concern until I'm out of here.

The cost of AR-10 builds is a real concern to me as well- I'm wondering if it's possible for me to put together an AR-10 with a 18" or 20" barrel for less than $1500 (minus optics of course). I'm planning to buy a multi-station reloader too, so the increased cost of ammo should be offset by shooting reloads. But buying a hunting rifle in .308W is a great way to get into the caliber without having to get into the high buy in cost of an AR-10. Good idea, Jon.

Geno

Ruger and mossburg offer mag fed .308 bolt guns with short barrels - I loved my Ruger gunsight scout personally. You can get 10 round mags for the Ruger. And you'll only be into a brand new gun for around $800 at most.

I like your thinking GENO, I will add in here that a good .308 ether in a bolt or semi would really do wonders over any other of the listed options. My own experience ( combat deployments) is that you really want the greater range and hard hitting punch of a .308! Any of the more reasonable battle rifles can be found with in your allotted budget for an AR-10, and all are proven! I like a barrel length of at least 20" to keep the advantages of that round, and the overall length is still about what a Vermin AR rig is! JMHO!

I"ve never drunk coffee, or tea, nor alcohol, nor used tobacco or drugs. I just know tons more about guns, ammo, shooting, survival than almost anyone and I'm willing and able to post about it like a fiend.

. Are you fast enough to toss up a couple of soda cans and hit them both in the air, reliably?

Sounds like safety isn't something that's known about.

just explaining why some of my stuff is not properly completed. If you don't like it, don't read it. It's a really simple concept, you know.
On the contrary, my friend. The last thing I want to do is miss out on your lessons. I feel I can learn so much from you. It may even save my life some day.

I should carry more .223 because I am going to miss a lot more with a .308? If you say so! please enlighten me as to how the size and weight of my weapon as well as that of my ammo has any effect on my abilities to shoot more or less accurately at a tango bent on killing me first!

I should carry more .223 because I am going to miss a lot more with a .308? If you say so! please enlighten me as to how the size and weight of my weapon as well as that of my ammo has any effect on my abilities to shoot more or less accurately at a tango bent on killing me first!

Just go with .22lr to be safe and it has less recoil for girly men:p

Naw, I want one of those .22 cal Loudandboomin rounds posted elsewhere! Sounds like just the ticket for suppressed shootin from a light carbine SBR AR!:eek: I wonder if that conversion dude can make me a conversion for my M-1 Garand, cause I don't want to be carryin so much heavy ammo, cause that might make me miss more!:D I must be gettin old, Might have to start humpin spit wads real soon, cause those .22 rounds might start fealin heavy. I wonder what the ATF says about a suppressed spit ball shooter? I wonder if I could kill any fish with my suppressed spit ball SBR? Maybe that WORD dude knows?:p

Naw, I want one of those .22 cal Loudandboomin rounds posted elsewhere! Sounds like just the ticket for suppressed shootin from a light carbine SBR AR!:eek: I wonder if that conversion dude can make me a conversion for my M-1 Garand, cause I don't want to be carryin so much heavy ammo, cause that might make me miss more!:D I must be gettin old, Might have to start humpin spit wads real soon, cause those .22 rounds might start fealin heavy. I wonder what the ATF says about a suppressed spit ball shooter? I wonder if I could kill any fish with my suppressed spit ball SBR? Maybe that WORD dude knows?:p

Well he does know more then just about everyone... Probably an ex navy seal six airborn ranger marine...o_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top