JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is an interesting old German rifle, I recently acquired from the brother of the WW2 vet that brought it home. It's chambered for a 4 mm rimfire round. When I got it, it was so dirty and covered in years of soot and gunk, that I didn't realize it was engraved until I started cleaning the poor thing, it cleaned up pretty well and functions and fires as it should. A beautiful piece of old word craftsmanship.

2CA169F3-AD47-4D6D-A7B3-DA3A3E83ED56.jpeg EF671D42-5892-418E-995C-E85648CDAE2B.jpeg 2099E2B6-BDF1-4959-97B2-849956F20467.jpeg B4C2FE03-2DC6-40BA-AEC0-7F049ECAD870.jpeg A4CD04C5-4C0F-4BCD-80D9-6317BAC7D2F6.jpeg 783AD28B-C1A1-4D67-9B83-13F9689C6934.jpeg F3E67301-68D5-4DB9-A05E-D3C48C9495EC.jpeg B8E75B2A-F518-4E76-9169-8BA72D1630ED.jpeg

That's spectacular! Is that in the category of "Gallery" guns for social shooting engagements in high society back then?
I believe you are correct. I just read a post from a guy that said his grandpa had one when he was a kid and they had shooting contests in the basement. This wasn't back in the day though.

That's spectacular! Is that in the category of "Gallery" guns for social shooting engagements in high society back then?
I believe you are correct, I've heard them called, pub, or beer hall rifles. They would hold shooting contests inside the beer halls, sounds like great fun to me.

Carefully remove the fore stock; the wood near the the receiver can be thin and fragile. Beneath the barrel will be proof, date and caliber markings. A photo of same will be appreciated. I have some reference books for assistance.

Carefully remove the fore stock; the wood near the the receiver can be thin and fragile. Beneath the barrel will be proof, date and caliber markings. A photo of same will be appreciated. I have some reference books for assistance.
Here are all the markings under the fore stock, as well as at the back of the breach, thanks

3C8C697E-7A80-4766-9A59-E34AB67618E8.jpeg 7760112A-1E34-421D-8E20-4E46050DBA7B.jpeg 69BD4EDC-E768-4F1A-BAE1-7DC3AAB32672.jpeg 42787DAB-1E12-4EED-B974-3736710E4BA5.jpeg F05F02F9-69A7-4E31-94E9-CD2404B1E76F.jpeg

Your fine rifle is known as a Zimmerschuetzen, or rimfire parlor rifle. Many were loaded with a mid-barrel mechanism, due to the low powder charge pushing the 4 to 6mm rimfire cartridge. Bore dimensions varied and the ammunition was manufactured to reflect these variance. Scheutzen matches were all the rage in this country from 1890 to WW1, after which all things German became unpopular.

The action is a Haenel Aydt, a popular action. The levers on the side are for take down of the tilting block and lever. The double set triggers can be removed by opening the lever, then pulling the knob behind the trigger plate down and out. To properly manage the triggers to unset, push the forward trigger forward while pulling the rear. The screw between the the triggers adjusts the tension and letoff.

The stock is of the Tyrolean style with tasteful checkering and engraving. Is the thumb piece finely attached? The fore end mark is likely that of the maker. That may be found under the the butt plate. Remarkably, it appears to have an an original rear peep as well as open sights. Is the front sight adjustable, that is, does it have rotating posts? Mine does.

Barrel markings are, from top to bottom, Otto Klett, assembler of the rifle from the Haenel Aydt action and Max Moller, barrel maker of Zella-Mehlis. Second photo is the Mellis old tree mark with a first nitro proof. The 123 is likely the number of the rifle made by his shop.

Bottom photo of the breech face : counter clockwise from the bottom - old tree mark as above; first proof; unknown as I can't make it out; and MM for Max Moller barrel maker, Zella-Mehlis. Möller E. Möller; Zella Mehlis in Thüringen, Germany. Listed in 1930 as a master gunsmith. Moller Max Möller; Zella Mehlis in Thüringen. Listed in 1930–9 as a gun barrel maker.

Here are a few pics of my 8x15R Haenel Aydt, made in 1926. ASSRA Forum - I have a treasure - 1926 Haenel Aydt. Also, go here: Schuetzen - German Gun Collectors Association Forums for more assistance.

Your rifle should have matching serial numbers on the barrel sight, rear peep, set trigger assembly, and buttplate. The receiver may be engraved or etched, either were popular. Cheers, and congrats on a great piece of history.

20160117_150640 (2).jpg 20160117_150822.jpg 20160122_143239.jpg 20160122_143122.jpg 20160117_144422.jpg

Your fine rifle is known as a Zimmerschuetzen, or rimfire parlor rifle. Many were loaded with a mid-barrel mechanism, due to the low powder charge pushing the 4 to 6mm rimfire cartridge. Bore dimensions varied and the ammunition was manufactured to reflect these variance. Scheutzen matches were all the rage in this country from 1890 to WW1, after which all things German became unpopular.

The action is a Haenel Aydt, a popular action. The levers on the side are for take down of the tilting block and lever. The double set triggers can be removed by opening the lever, then pulling the knob behind the trigger plate down and out. To properly manage the triggers to unset, push the forward trigger forward while pulling the rear. The screw between the the triggers adjusts the tension and letoff.

The stock is of the Tyrolean style with tasteful checkering and engraving. Is the thumb piece finely attached? The fore end mark is likely that of the maker. That may be found under the the butt plate. Remarkably, it appears to have an an original rear peep as well as open sights. Is the front sight adjustable, that is, does it have rotating posts? Mine does.

Barrel markings are, from top to bottom, Otto Klett, assembler of the rifle from the Haenel Aydt action and Max Moller, barrel maker of Zella-Mehlis. Second photo is the Mellis old tree mark with a first nitro proof. The 123 is likely the number of the rifle made by his shop.

Bottom photo of the breech face : counter clockwise from the bottom - old tree mark as above; first proof; unknown as I can't make it out; and MM for Max Moller barrel maker, Zella-Mehlis. Möller E. Möller; Zella Mehlis in Thüringen, Germany. Listed in 1930 as a master gunsmith. Moller Max Möller; Zella Mehlis in Thüringen. Listed in 1930–9 as a gun barrel maker.

Here are a few pics of my 8x15R Haenel Aydt, made in 1926. ASSRA Forum - I have a treasure - 1926 Haenel Aydt. Also, go here: Schuetzen - German Gun Collectors Association Forums for more assistance.

Your rifle should have matching serial numbers on the barrel sight, rear peep, set trigger assembly, and buttplate. The receiver may be engraved or etched, either were popular. Cheers, and congrats on a great piece of history.

View attachment 697112 View attachment 697113 View attachment 697115 View attachment 697116 View attachment 697117
Wow that was way more information than I expected, I can't thank you enough, would you have any idea what something like this may be valued at? And the guy that brought it back from Germany claimed it had different barrel inserts and extractors that could be interchanged, he said he had them but over the years they got lost, does that sound possible to you??

Guess he disappeared.....
Lol didn't disappear just been crazy busy, had hernia surgery Last week And this week with the dry weather coming, been rushing around trying to get all my hay equipment up and running, while trying Not to rip the stitches out lol

Stitches? Mine were glued. Just wanted to chat re values, potential buyers and the rumored accessories.
Ok sounds good, I will try to give you a call today or tomorrow, and interesting you got glued, they said they would either stitch or staple me, glad they went with stitches

My uncle has a zimmerschueltzen as a display gun above his mantle. The muzzle was flared out like horn but sealed except for the bore. Very interesting to see another

The gun of this style is actually called a 'Zimmerstuetzen' - the art of shooting it is Zimmerschuetzen. If you recall, the Germans, Austrians and even those fun-loving Swiss have Schuetzenfests every year in their towns and villages - 'schuetzen' means 'shooting' or to 'shoot'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top