German WWI "Kurz" Model Tankgewehr

Parenthetically, I've read more than one reference to a late, or post-war, variant that was magazine fed. (IIRC, one was recorded in use during the Spanish Civil War. Possible, I guess, though dubious. Or it could have been one of the wacky, cobbled together creations during those chaotic times.)

I've yet to ever see photographic evidence to that effect. Anyone seen one? Just curious.

ma96782

Reactions
The Russians had some anti-tank rifles (though NOT Kurz) built along the same line of thinking. They were effective against the early German Panzers (especially when used on the Panzer's side plates).

The Russian movie 28 Panfilov's showed some early Russian efforts with killing German tanks.

Trailer:

And, if you have more time to watch the entire movie:

However, as the war went on......the Germans wised up and went with side skirts and even heavier tank armor. Such is warfare.

Aloha, Mark

PS....more on the subject.

Last edited:

gmerkt

Reactions
These are a pretty rare and valuable item. I've seen a couple in museums and knew a guy in Calif. who owned one privately. These were 13.2x92 mm. In early WW2, the Germans had another single shot anti-tank rifle, the PzB38 and the improved PzB39. These used a different cartridge, 8x94mm. Looked like a US 50 cal. with an 8mm bullet. But armor development was such that these were obsolete fairly quickly and many were later converted to grenade launchers.

I suppose recoil was pretty stout on the T-Gewehr, what with no recoil pad and only that little wooden pistol grip (and ground mounting) to help mitigate it. The PzB39 had a semi-circular recoil pad, like one side of the dual set up on a 20mm Oerlikon AA gun.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom