JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys

I am trying to build a load using H110 using 300 gr xtp mag. I have never reloaded for this cartridge - this is a first attempt.

The confusion

if you look on line at Hodgdon's website the min max for H110 is 38 - 42.5
if you look at the Hornady book (which is the book I typically use) for H110 the min max is 33.4 - 39.2

anyone with experience with this cartridge that can shed some light on what a good load with this power and bullet weight is?

Thanks.

Nope, no experience with the 460, but have loaded many 357, 41 Mag and 500 S&W rounds and have a bunch of experience with H110. It's one of my favorite powders and you can run into as much trouble light loading it as you can overloading it.
Unless the Hodgdon manual is listing the XTP specifically, go with the Hornady data. Either way, with this info I would start about 38gr.

I reload this caliber and have found hornady pretty conservative on load data with most calibers.

I need to dig up data, but I have found the 460 is extremely hard on brass. I have had case heads separate after one reload, with starline, hornady and winchester brass using H110 and well within tight loading charges required for this powder. I've had better luck with 4227..
Here is a pic of a H110 reload from a couple years ago at a cleanup event out of a shorty barrel :D
Screenshot_2016-08-29-09-32-29.png

I'm sure you know this already but I post it for the future searchers of this site.

++++++++++++++++

If in doubt, always get a second opinion and go with the lowest data you can find. Many of us have multiple books from various editions that we verify information from. I've made loads that are not published but I've compared states from loads above and below the target weight bullet and erred on the safe side when making subsonic loads.

You can never have too many resources in front of you.

Example:
Sierra says for xx weight bullet and XX powder: 34.3-45.7
Hodgdon: 29.2-35.8
Hornady: 31.2-37.8
Lee: 28.6-34.4
Speer: 31.4-32.4

My load chart would be the lowest low and lowest high.

28.6-32.4 would be my range. While these are all made up numbers and relate in NO WAY to your data, it's good to have more to look at.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads