JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Loaded up a bunch of .45 ACP Large Primer, from brass I bought "pre sorted" as Large Primers. Made the huge error and last time I will "assume" correct sorting was done. Few shorty .45 GAP showed up, visibly got them. But after 3 large primer detonations from NOT fitting the small primer pockets, I hand inspected the rest of the brass and found one more SPP. THEN on case gauging (I check 100% of my loads) I discovered 2 recessed loads!? Upon further inspection they were 460 Rowland brass so the 230 FMJ-RN were 1/16" or .0625" too deep in those two rounds. :eek: They almost case gauged but the crimp was crazy around the bullet.

Sheesh. Lesson learned, check your brass 100%. NEVER been an issue before but this was just a box of rando brass from a supplier.

I had a .380 slip into my 9mm pile. made it all the way to neck flaring and powder fill. I also inspect 100% of my loadings but I don't gauge them all. That's some dedication but it proved it's worth for ya

Just reminds me of 380. I still get those in my 9mm brass. Usually notice it the moment I grab it, sometimes it makes it to the sizing stage on the progressive, that's where it always gets caught.

I've never had a primer detonate while loading. That would scare the crap out of me!

I've actually had a couple 380s get all the way around the progressive and get seated with a bullet!

It pisses me off anymore if they get to the primer station and a primer gets seated.

I've had to pull a few, and (carefully) pop out a few primers.

I had a .380 slip into my 9mm pile. made it all the way to neck flaring and powder fill. I also inspect 100% of my loadings but I don't gauge them all. That's some dedication but it proved it's worth for ya

I usually process my brass as a single separate function. For 9mm its imperative to keep pesky .380 (Devil brass) out of my 9. It gets found in the processing functions and keeps case jams or losing a valuable SPP. I am mainly trying to keep jam issues out of the progressive press to help eliminate loading errors. (squibs!)

I predict a vision sorting system in your future

I actually have a primer check system to sort Small primer 45 from large primer 45. MY HUGE error and last I will do assumed the vendor truly did sort it L primer. Its a great vendor the brass is beautiful, fully processed with Shiney primer pockets. Just that batch had 4 small primers, two 460 Rowland, and 3 or so 45 GAP in it!

Thread with the automatic sorting system:

Good thing you caught 'em before a "situation" occurred.

Just reinforces my OCD tendencies with sorting brass. I never trust another's eyes, I need to know, for me.

I use the hundo gauges by shock bottle for 9mm and 45 ACP, so it's one act of case gauging 100 rounds at once AND flip tray them into 100 count boxes. It goes quick and catches anything the squeaked by.

Just reminds me of 380. I still get those in my 9mm brass. Usually notice it the moment I grab it, sometimes it makes it to the sizing stage on the progressive, that's where it always gets caught.

I've never had a primer detonate while loading. That would scare the crap out of me!

Ya range pick-ups always yield some of the little buggers, devil brass i.e. .380. Then of course some 38 supers show up now and then too. o_O Processing brass separate from loading on the progressive usually catches these for me.

I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds in the past 30yrs and prior to this little experience, I had only one primer detonation why loading. 1 in 30yrs. This is why this stood out with THREE in one loading session! At 3 I pulled all the brass and hand-sorted catching that one more small primer that was in the lot. Yes large primers do not fit into a small primer pocket!

Good reminder OP. Since 9mm and 380 get collected in the same separator with me they get cleaned together. Once done I lay them on a flat surface checking for shortys (380) and longys (38 Super) and look inside for any strange stuff going on inside. With 45, similar but sort for primer size and once again before they go onto into the sizer on a Square Deal. Still have had a few 380 slip in but (knock on wood) no SPP 45 auto brass.

shortys and longys are the technical terms BTW. :s0119:

Good reminder OP. Since 9mm and 380 get collected in the same separator with me they get cleaned together. Once done I lay them on a flat surface checking for shortys (380) and longys (38 Super) and look inside for any strange stuff going on inside. With 45, similar but sort for primer size and once again before they go onto into the sizer on a Square Deal. Still have had a few 380 slip in but (knock on wood) no SPP 45 auto brass.

shortys and longys are the technical terms BTW. :s0119:

Usually, before I start shooting at the range I look around for any devil brass laying out. Especially if I have others with me who will be helping pick up brass. I toss everyone I see! I usually quarantine brass picked up not by me as it's going to have to be checked over. My good buddy bought his wife a .380 and I give him crap for it all the time, as a good friend will. :D

Yep dad and his buddies drove that home 52 years ago when I was 11 and they had me sorting brass. Dad or one of the other guys double checked everything I sorted. I still follow the lessons taught me 52 years ago. And in all these years I have had so few reloading mistakes not caught at the bench I can't come up with an example to post.

The sorting Trolls can be very tricky and they love a big FUBAR!

All good. Low count reloading = less issues overall. 30-40k per year starts to find issues. In this case its just trusting the source for the "pre sorted and processed brass" that up to now has been stellar. I will take my loads any day over factory loads. :cool:

Loaded up a bunch of .45 ACP Large Primer, from brass I bought "pre sorted" as Large Primers. Made the huge error and last time I will "assume" correct sorting was done. Few shorty .45 GAP showed up, visibly got them. But after 3 large primer detonations from NOT fitting the small primer pockets, I hand inspected the rest of the brass and found one more SPP. THEN on case gauging (I check 100% of my loads) I discovered 2 recessed loads!? Upon further inspection they were 460 Rowland brass so the 230 FMJ-RN were 1/16" or .0625" too deep in those two rounds. :eek: They almost case gauged but the crimp was crazy around the bullet.

Sheesh. Lesson learned, check your brass 100%. NEVER been an issue before but this was just a box of rando brass from a supplier.
I started checking my brass while depriming it (found 9mm Makarov and .380 in a bunch of 9mm brass I bought) and set the odd rounds aside and also checked again after wet tumbling and drying to catch possible ones that I might have missed on the first go around.

Attention to detail helps but it is annoying when 380 gets mixed in with 9mm. Another PITA is the 40S&W gets stuck inside a 45 acp case.
I started with a Rockchucker many years ago and could tell a 380 from a 9mm just by the amount of effort to size the case. After a while you can feel it (if you are paying attention). Similar to sizing a 38spl when expecting to size a 357 Mag. I am able to notice the difference on my SDB. The hard part is the small primer on 45 ACP on the SDB. I tend to look at the headstamp as I put the empty case on the press. If it says BLAZER I set it aside. Most of my SPP cases have been Blazer range pick ups. just my experience, it could be different for others. Happy loading and happy primer hunting!

I built this device that culls SPP or "ringers" while loading on a 1050.

Also built this machine that deprimes then sorts by primer pocket size.

Built this device that sorts by length, would catch GAP vs ACP too.

This is a lot faster for 380/9mm though as they are different diameters.

For the stepped cases, a Dillon powder check die, set correctly can catch the difference in internal volume.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top