JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about folks just use a little common sense and stop wasting time on all this stuff. It's all used as tools to get your money, your time or your vote.

I think it is useful to be prepared to rebut this when you hear people tout it as a reason to restrict firearms. So far, there at least 5 major problems with the question:

1) misunderstanding "personal"
2) Imports shootings known to veterans that occurred in foreign countries
3) Imports shootings known to immigrants or travelers from war torn regions
4) Multiplies "victimhood" by the number of people who know the person who was shot
5) Includes suicides which tell us nothing about violent crime

That makes much more sense. Thanks

The next question in the survey fits exactly with your 2-4% estimate (although it still suffers all of the problems related to the first question, namely, importing gun violence from foreign conflicts and suicide)

ASK WAVE 26: INJUREDB
Have you PERSONALLY ever been shot, either accidentally or intentionally, or not?
Apr 4-18, 2017
3 Yes
96 No
* No Answer

CLT65- just look at what being SO reverent around those Jerks that try to steal our rights AND guns has gotten US??
Note that every time I speak of getting "rough" with THEM it is Legally, just because I want their heads in a noose is only natural, Thieves were Hanged in the Old West..

CLT65 makes valid points. Remember -- when you are arguing with a passionate Anti, you are NEVER going to change that particular person's mind but that is not the point of having the argument. The point of the argument is to engage those who are listening but not participating and convince them. If we allow ourselves to fit the caricature of gun owners they like to use (bitter unreasonable near-insurrectionist trigger-happy irresponsible **sholes), they will win the hearts and minds of those listening to the argument. If we deprive the Antis of that caricature though, we largely disarm them.

Wow! I don't want to work where you do.. That is some unhappy employees.
Employees are fine. I am a psych RN at a hospital in the PNW. A large portion of suicide attempts go through the ED or the psych floor. I work both as a primary psych nurse in the ED and as a floor nurse on the psych floor.

WOW this could take a while

Kid I went to grade school with was shot in the back of the head point blank with a 30-30 when his brother thought he heard a deer and cycled a round at the camp fire.
A kid my younger brothers played little league with blew his brains out over a girl when he was about 20
I have been shot twice before I was 16 by neighbor kids basically for trespassing luckily at extreme shotgun range no pellets penetrated.
I was also shot at with a 6mm Rem model 700 from about 500 yards when another neighbor who had just gotten the rifle (while in high school) though it would be funny to show off his new rifle by shooting my grand parents pump house while I was hanging clothes on her line. I estimate the round missed me by less then 18"
My favorite teacher in High School a Biology teacher and Sgt in the US Marines shot himself in the head with a .22 on lunch one day after it got out that he was doing a student
A guy I knew as a young kid shot his wife for cheating while at the coast with a Luger he begged my dad to sell him (he had other firearms)
My moms best friends son who we baby sat was murdered over a girl by a local member of a family of thugs and drug dealers
My grandfather was shot in the lower side while riding in a Jeep on Okinawa in 1950 while part of the Army of the Occupation by a WWII hold out. He survived.

Oh and not long ago the neighbor guy one evening shot his VERY FAT wife in the stomach with a 20 gauge shotgun loaded with low base bird shot. The cops didn't even take the freckin gun away as they both said it was an accident She spent 2-3 days in the hospital Not sure of the range but our lots are all 105 x 60 so it couldn't have been to far.

So I think I got some of the 44% covered

another problem with the poll is that one death accounts for numerous positive responses possibly by all his personal contacts. Kind of skews the figures right there.

I lump this poll into my "So what?" category.

I have two close friends and two acquaintances who have been shot. Two survived.
I also have close friends and acquaintances who have died in automobile accidents, drownings, and one who died on the operating table during knee surgery.

E

Hmmmm.
People still give the white noise the media spews forth at us any credibility.
That is a bit worrisome.
I think I'd rather be shot than listen to the drivel that emanates from the media................:confused:

I have a bullet hole in me

I know someone who was gunned down in the street by a lunatic neighbor. Also a different guy who was stabbed to death and died in the street. (Both in The Dalles).

I also know 4 guys in long term prison (>20 yrs/ea).

Well... Two members of my immediate family have been shot. A good friend of mines little brother shot himself. I don't know that I would call him a friend but an acquaintance of mine was shot by a pissed off boyfriend (he was doing the girlfriend) standing on his front step. A friend of mine from high school was killed in a hunting accident. There are probably others but yeah. I can believe that 44% personally know of at least one person who has been shot.
>>>...an acquaintance of mine was shot by a pissed off boyfriend (he was doing the girlfriend) standing on his front step.
If she was such a great g/f, then she wouldn't be giving it up to someone else....

Either way, it's not worth shooting someone over.

My old college roomie and best friend of 25 years was shot and killed in a hunting accident.
I also have close friends and family who've died of diseases, accidents, and self inflicted stupidness.
Gun control wouldn't solve any of it. Reversing this countries battle against critical thinking would go along way.

>>>...an acquaintance of mine was shot by a pissed off boyfriend (he was doing the girlfriend) standing on his front step.
If she was such a great g/f, then she wouldn't be giving it up to someone else....

Either way, it's not worth shooting someone over.

The guy himself was married, his wife and kids where home when the boyfriend showed up and shot him when he answered the door.

I've personally known two who negligently shot themselves. One was a 1964 boot camp buddy, a Texas boy whose leg was still healing from the .22LR round discharged after brush he was cutting snagged the hammer on his holstered SA revolver. The other was a co-worker who had - in the early '50s - jammed his issue model 1911 into a military holster in a way that momentarily racked the slide enough to discharge a round (he showed me the in-and-out .45 scars on his calf). I wasn't inclined to conduct experiments to prove or disprove that it could happen.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top