JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Believe it or not in over 20 years of reloading I have never pushed the edge like I have with these loads in 44Magnum. I always look for accuracy first and velocity second.

With encouragement from a friend I decided to load up some 44 Magnum fast movers. By the way though not seen in the video these loads were worked up to, even though they were considered to be book safe being 1 full grain below max.

I wanted to make it a bit more interesting by testing these loads in a ported vs non-ported barrel. This video will display reloading information. This data is not intended to replace the appropriate reloading manuals data and should not be used without verifying and double checking the loads between two different official published reference points — IE reloading manuals. If you elect to utilize any of this data it is at your own risk. As seen these loads were safe in the firearms used.
44magstill_2.4.1.jpg

What do you think about 800X in 44magnum? The cases came out really clean, the primers looked great though I know it is not a real indication of pressure.

Should I load up a few more and put a couple through some gel?

I wonder if the XTP would hold together under that kind of velocity?

Load Information at the end!

I believe the xtp's will fragment at that speed, at least they don't recommend it. If you shoot some cast with gas checks @180g, that would be awesome at that speed.

I believe the xtp's will fragment at that speed, at least they don't recommend it. If you shoot some cast with gas checks @180g, that would be awesome at that speed.

Yes - at those speeds I would go with JSPs with a thick jacket. I have some 275 and 300 gr JSP @1200 fps ammo sold by Barnes back in the 80s that I bought in Alaska when I worked up there.

It would be interesting to see what kind of speeds one would get with lighter bullets. I would like to try sabots, but I don't find any .44 sabots anywhere, much less ones rated for smokeless powder - I will have to try .45/.357 instead (in my 460V) but most (if not all) are for BP only.

The more plausible solution is hard cast light bullets, or something like the LeHigh copper/bronze 125 gr., or a FMJ or plated flat point.

My interest in light projectiles is for small game while carrying a big bore revolver. Might be just as good to carry my Airweight S&W .22 or some other lightweight .22 firearm in addition to a centerfire handgun.

I ran 41 cal 210 XTP's at 1350 and 1880 out of a 6.5" Ruger and a 20 " (I think) Marlin 1894. Digging them out of the gravel pile backstop showed a bullet that didn't come apart. I no longer have the 41s, but I still use the XTP.

If I was shooting 44 Mag, I'd be using a 240gr.

Thank you orygun

I could have made the video better by mentioning. Hornady does not recommend you pushing the 180's beyond 1400fps, but it was still fun and I still think I want to see how bad it would fragment in some gel :)