JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any one have any personal experience information about 40mm grenade rounds. ?..these questions pretain to live , explosive rounds.....not the blue plastic, orange chalk filled train/practice rounds.​

such as pics of damage cause by them, to people or objects..... (graphic is ok as long as its real)

The legality if them in Washington state....... I know a federal tax stamp is requirex, but who issues it....what is entailed in getting it.....

Can you legally posses the rounds with out the tax stamp if you dont own or have contact with theweapon needed to fire them......ie. you just want a round for display purposes only

if you have the federal tax stamp.....where can you buy 40mm explosive, non training rounds

you-are-so-crazy-lol.jpg

First and so far only post and you're looking for 40mm grenades, and want to know how deadly and destructive they are?

I'm voting that you're a terrorist, a psychotic killer in the making, or an anti-gun troll or government stooge looking to set up a law abiding gun owner. Call your local ATF office and ask them, or better yet just go buy Call of Duty and leave real weapons to the mentally stable big boys.

ATF Seattle Area Supervisor (206)-204-7693. Call this number and they should be able to answer your questions.
Let us know how the federal swat team encounter goes.
Shot lots of these in 1969, not a toy.

Well, obviously I had a question and in order to post in a group of people who might actually have info that I can't directly find online by doing a simple search.

I was hoping I would get actual hrlpful info instead of sarcastic and illogicsk criticism.

Im neither a terrorist or a psycho, or the othe aforementioned names you called me.......I am a girl trying to gather info to help prove innocence in a case. If you dont have info or want to share that's fine but dint be judgemental or rude cause I have been neither.

I do not own or intend to iwn a grenade launcher, im content with my shotgun for the time being, however circumstances in my life have broughtme to a point where I need to know if the listed 5 meter kill radius is accurate and if someone could survive a live 40mm going off in their hsnd and if the person in the room with them(me) a couple feet away could survive as well.....mostly unharmed....with all body parts still.......thats is why I asked what I did, cause I have a crazy antiweapon cop msking false accusations to further his career.

So if you have actual helpful info or ideally pictures please let me know. Other wise leave me be as I am super busy trying to deal with this crap.

Also atf and I have talked and they had nothing helpful, but were very nice.

First hand experience:

They won't go off in your hand. They have to be fired in order to arm. Also it needs 15 meters to arm in flight.

It's a kill radius for a reason. The being said, explosions do weird things. 95% chance you aren't going to live to tell about it.

If you're in a room and one goes off in the room, after having been shot into the room (15 meter arming range) it's gonna hurt. You'll probably be deaf from the concussive force, if it doesn't kill you.

Begging for pictures of fragged people here isn't going to help your cause.

Having 'Been there, Done that' over seas I can't see anyone who has pictures, including myself, willfully sending you anything.

Jeez, and I thought my BBQ goat thread was edgy. lol.
What folk said here is true.. those things are highly regulated, will kill you, and you are well advised to contact the ATF directly.
If memory serves, there's a website all about those and people reloading for them.. inert but perhaps with chalk markers or something.. complete with plenty of pictures of guys blowing their hands off using modern, high quality tubes/launchers.. and that's with just the tiny charge of pistol powder to launch them (40 and 36's if I remember).
I'd just leave that wanna be crap alone.. and if you're writing a book, there are many descriptive works describing all munitions and arms and what they'll do.. from Jane's Quarterly to Wikipedia.
good luck

So, as someone who used to work for a type 10FFL, I have a fair amount of experience with different 40mm ordnance.

First, there are about half a dozen varieties of high explosive grenades fired from the different 40mm systems employed by the military.

Next, any device that contains more than 1/4oz of explosive is considered a destructive device. 40mm grenades most definitely contain more than 1/4 oz, thus they are destructive devices. In addition, as explosives anyone in the business of manufacturing them also needs an explosives manufacturers license.

A 40mm grenade, must be registered (NFA tax paid) before you possess it. You cannot have a grenade, submit paperwork and then it becomes ok.

As far as finding them on the open market... good luck. Transferable DD 40mm grenades are not unheard of, but they are quite rare, and usually go for high prices. Typically you're going to be looking at $500+transfer. It can make for a very expensive day of shooting. If you watch gunbroker's NFA/DD forum, they will show up there occasionally.

If you are looking for display rounds... dummies is the best option. If you go to the site already posted (grog101) the owner of that site, Grog, does occasionally sell resin cast dummy rounds of all variety of 40mm ordnance.

Realistically, I would not recommend keeping live explosives for display purposes, it is a really bad idea.

Again, I'm not looking to buy rounds or get the federal tax stamp or anything like that. I'm looking for info and preferably proof that if someone was taking apart a live 40mm grenade, fired or not and it expolded in their hand that they wouldn't be alive and that the other person in the 12x16 room woukdnt be alive either. I'm not a terrorist or nut case, just trying to prove that a cop is making up lies to help his career. Im face charges from city cops where they are say that a friend was taking apart live, fired 40 mm rounds apart with a screw driver and that it exploded causing our minimal injuries. ?...he had a broken finger and we both had some minor cuts.

Clearly not the supposed damage cause by a 40mm grenade going off,
I want to show the prosecutor and the judge that the police officer and neighbor (who is friends with the cop) are blatently lieung, proven by the fact that my friemd and I are both alive and well and have all of our body parts and hearing and vision.

I realize it is a weurd request, but its a weird situation and im facing prison time and Im a single mom with 2 kids to care for.

I do have a lawyer but other then the 40mm manufacturers statements of blast n kill radius he hasnt come up with any visual demonstrations of the damage a 40mm actually causes and I think it wiuld be helpful if a judge saw pictures and could see what happens if someone really was in a room wuth one when it exploded.

thank you fir those of you giving helpful answers

I asked about display purposes cause the cop said he found one in my house and took pictures, so I was wondering if he could have brought one, like afake look alike and since I cant prove a cop planted evidence I was wondering if it was ok to have them if they were for display and you didnt have any means of firing them. I asked cause I simply don't know this kind of stuff, I stick to my shotgun and my friends 22 for when we go hunting and thats it. I dont know how acurate a manufacturer is wuth their weapon stats, I don't know how easy or hard it is to get these kinds of things, I am a mom who has way more to worry about then grenades n explosives until now

Umm... I don't think it's illegal to take apart unexploded ordnance, however it's generally considered a really bad idea, usually possession is the crime.

I can guarantee that if you were both in the same room as a 40mm grenade going off, traumatic brain injuries, blown eardrums, collapsed lungs, would be in small consideration to the shrapnel that would probably blow you and your friend all over the walls of the room.

It strikes me, that positively identifying the ordnance in question would likely be the better course of defense.

I'll be honest, while I'm morbidly curious what the back story is here, you shouldn't tell me because of the on-going court case.

It sounds like a training round to me.. I stupidly took apart a 12ga round when I was a kid (in a bad and stupid way) and about lost my pinky finger by just the primer alone.
I don't think it's against the law to own and use, in a safe environment, 40mm training rounds unless you're a felon or something. I could be wrong though.
good luck

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads