JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

Alrighty - now that we have something to actually go on other than your sketchy original post the picture gets clearer.

Tacoma couple charged after explosive device blew up in their home
By Stacia Glenn

Staff writerJune 10, 2014

Read more here: <broken link removed>

"
They spent a year collecting used ammunition around Joint Base Lewis-McChord and melting it to sell as scrap metal – until one of the rounds exploded at a Tacoma home, injuring the couple and tipping police off to what they'd been up to.

Pierce County prosecutors have charged Juliette Parker, 32, and Cody Hyman, 27, with possession of an explosive device, third-degree assault and reckless endangerment. The couple, who now live in Texas, is set to be arraigned June 23.

The investigation started Jan. 18 after Parker called 911 to report that a bullet had exploded at her home in the 5600 block of I Street. The blast blew a 2-foot hole in the floor just above where her children, ages 4 and 10, slept below.

Hyman suffered two severely damaged fingers which may have to be removed, according to charging papers. Parker had shrapnel in her eye and face.

Officers allegedly found three big buckets of ammunition in the bedroom, as well as an 81 mm mortar round and loose 20 mm and 7.62 rounds used in military grade weapons. They left the home and called the department's bomb squad.

Agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives joined the investigation and helped search the home. In the driveway, they allegedly found containers filled with disassembled 40 mm military munitions and three 81 mm mortar rounds that were still functional. The U.S. Army took those rounds and destroyed them, officials said.

Hyman was apparently using a screwdriver to disassemble a 20 mm shell casing when it exploded in his hand, records show.

Parker told police they'd found the ammunition around the Lake Lewis camping area while four-wheeling, took them home and melted them down to sell as scrap metal, charging papers show. The couple said they'd been doing it for nearly a year without any trouble.

Law enforcement has not yet determined the value of the recovered ammunition.

Prosecutors said more charges may be filed against Hyman and Parker as the investigation continues.

Read more here: <broken link removed> "

So your boyfriend damn near blew his hand off trying to pry apart a 20mm cartridge, and the police recovered unexploded ordinance and ammunition after responding to your 911 call.

Got it. Well now I don't believe you're a terrorist, but I believe your boyfriend is a fracking idiot, and neither one of you showed terribly great sense by bringing home unexploded military ordnance you found while four wheeling (giving you the benefit of the doubt and not calling BS on that part of the story above - maybe a platoon of troops from JBLM just happened to be partying at the campground and wanted a fireworks show, and they just happened to leave behind a bunch of grenade rounds)

So no, I don't think you are a blood thirsty would be killer - just guilty of criminal stupidity. Good luck to you in getting acquitted, and I hope your boyfriend learned his lesson about trying to disassemble ammunition without the proper tools. It's a good thing the children weren't injured.

Ok now it is clear. Crazy stupid and maybe you are ignorant to what your boyfriend was doing. Either way hopefully you have learned a lot about ammo and scrap metal not mixing well safety wise. Just plead your ignorance and keep those kids safe and clear of all ammo collecting.

<broken link removed>

Alrighty - now that we have something to actually go on other than your sketchy original post the picture gets clearer.

So your boyfriend damn near blew his hand off trying to pry apart a 20mm cartridge, and the police recovered unexploded ordinance and ammunition after responding to your 911 call.

Got it. Well now I don't believe you're a terrorist, but I believe your boyfriend is a fracking idiot, and neither one of you showed terribly great sense by bringing home unexploded military ordnance you found while four wheeling (giving you the benefit of the doubt and not calling BS on that part of the story above - maybe a platoon of troops from JBLM just happened to be partying at the campground and wanted a fireworks show, and they just happened to leave behind a bunch of grenade rounds)

So no, I don't think you are a blood thirsty would be killer - just guilty of criminal stupidity. Good luck to you in getting acquitted, and I hope your boyfriend learned his lesson about trying to disassemble ammunition without the proper tools. It's a good thing the children weren't injured.

Well apparently you havent followed the whole thread obviously...... both my friend and I are alive despute the cops sayinga 40mm blew up in my friends hand..... we werent collecting or melting down military ammunition. And obviously me typing this reply proves that we werent taking apart 40mm or 20mm rounds.......thats for your contribution to this conversation.

Are you Juliette Parker? This looks like your story:

<broken link removed>

This part is rather disturbing:
Officers allegedly found three big buckets of ammunition in the bedroom, as well as an 81 mm mortar round and loose 20 mm and 7.62 rounds used in military grade weapons. They left the home and called the department's bomb squad.

Agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives joined the investigation and helped search the home. In the driveway, they allegedly found containers filled with disassembled 40 mm military munitions and three 81 mm mortar rounds that were still functional. The U.S. Army took those rounds and destroyed them, officials said.
There are 3 different agencies and the military involved. If one police officer is making all of this up, someone is going to spill the beans on him - or far more likely, would have a long time ago. I'm sorry but I'm having a real problem buying your story. I hope you'll understand if I don't offer any help or advice.

Moral of the story: Recycling military munitions may be hazardous to your health and freedom.

For those of you wondering how it didn't show up in other searches, I first found nothing under "20mm", "40mm" etc. When I changed it to "20 mm" it showed right up.

Believe what you want but if the cops stiry was true , wouldnt we have been arrested......? We weren't. How about federal or military charges....there are none. There is a reason for that.....its cause its a bunch if lies. Im still allowed on jblm, never arrested, was allowed to move out of state, practically across the country, and not once has anyone from the police department even questioned me or my friend or anything.
Believe what you want, but just cause someone is part of law enforcement doesnt mean they are infallible or sane or just.....they are humans and subject to being dishonest, crazy, mean, vindictive, egotistical and everything else just like anyone else on the planet.

Facts are facts and the fact is that both my friend and I walked out of the. Oom and diwn the stairs on our own and called for help because we werent doing taking apart 40mm or 20mm. So believe what ever you want but uf you dont want to hrlp or give usual unfo instead of rude , cynical criticism then i am politly asking that you please stop responding on my thread. Thank you

Wow, read the original post yesterday and was checking back to see if the OP found a place to buy the grenades and holy cow did the story sure change.

so a live 20 mm round? I dont even want to know where you found that. I cant imaging the military leaving spent or live rounds anywhere other than a military base.

shy,

Look, I've been railroaded by the cops before, so I'm quite inclined to believe you on that account. However, the cops were trying to say something I legitimately had was something else (in this case, a civil war era bronze mortar was a 75lb "zipgun").

What doesn't pass the smell test here is your friend was taking apart something... that blew up. Generally, unless you have a license or have paid for a tax stamp, you are not allowed to possess explosive projectiles. Even if your friend was taking apart the propelling charge section and that detonated (which is quite likely) it doesn't matter if it's 20mm, 40mm, 81mm, 60mm, it's mere possession is a crime, if it was something you recovered from an impact range, that raises a whole slew of new charges (including criminal trespass, and theft of government property).

If, as you say, there were no high explosive rounds in the house when this "accident" occurred, then the evidence should show that. Even if material was planted after the fact, the 2-foot hole in the floor demands some explanation.

Realistically, we are not a court of law, and I would highly discourage you from posting further on this as talking about your case cannot help you in court. You will have to retain subject matter experts who can identify the items found, and testify to the veracity of the government's claims. I wish you the best of luck.

Shy's story doesn't match up to what officials are reporting. The Times Tribune article clearly states that the records show that Mr. Hyman (love that last name) was attempting to disassemble a 20mm cartridge, she keeps saying 40mm. The article clearly states that officials say they found previously disassembled 40mm rounds - those could have been anything from chalk training rounds to HE - the article doesn't say. The article DOES say that they found live, unexploded 81mm mortar rounds in their possession, which were taken by the Army and destroyed. Good luck getting an expert witness to view that now.

A 20mm round detonating in close proximity to a wall or floor - I can see that causing a 2 foot diameter hole - I've seen the results of what a .50 BMG case filled with powder and crimed w/ a fuse would do - the crater was impressive given the seemingly small package. A live 20mm round dwarfs a .50BMG and if he was prying or banging and managed to cause the primer to detonate, in turn detonating the powder charge within - he's lucky to only have a mutilated hand, he could've been killed.

What the article did not make clear, was if the charges it talks about were only State charges, or if the feds have gotten in the mix. Possession of an unregistered destructive device is a Federal felony, and the ATF is clearly involved since they were brought in to the "crime scene" to "help with the search." I'm sure that if they believe there was a violation, they are conducting a thorough investigation and getting all their ducks in a row before handing off the case to the US attorney for prosecution. Hopefully you have a good lawyer and not a public defender if they are going down that route - PD's are more useless than tits on a boar.

That you're not sitting in jail awaiting trial doesn't mean much - lots of defendants are released pending trial. As of June when the article was written it sounds as if the case were still in the investigatory stage - and more charges possible. Going to guess here that that means potential federal charges and maybe more state charges.

You came on here in your very first post asking about the deadliness of a 40mm grenade round and came off sounding as a kook. You make a claim that the police are saying your boyfriend was taking apart a 40mm grenade when the Tribune clearly states the police records say he was dismantling a 20mm projectile when it exploded. Very different beasts but both very hazardous to your health. Maybe if your original post didn't come off as someone trying to skirt the law or outright break it, with a good dose of potential mass killer asking about kill radius etc, and if you'd just posted a damn link to the Tribune article and plead your case honestly the responses you get might be different. It still doesn't sound like you're telling the truth, and hate to break it to you but when you come onto an internet forum and post, you better be prepared to read things you don't like - you don't get to pick who responds to said postings. If you have a problem with what I'm saying or anyone else - use the ignore feature. This story you weave though is too much of a train wreck not to read for entertainment value.

You're not the first person or only person on here to have the police and government officials make accusations about you and try to railroad you. In most cases though, the truth shall set you free if you're really innocent. From the information given in the single news article to be found on it (which has been parroted by almost every other news outlet to pick up on it) vs what you've said here - I can only conclude that you are not being truthful with us. It'd be one thing for a cop to plant a little evidence (a big stretch though for a cop to plant live functional grenade or mortar rounds) to get a conviction. The police reports however indicate they found 4 functional mortar rounds and "buckets" of already dismantled ordnance, as well as live 7.62 rounds (meh, those can be had anywhere ammo is sold very readily and no big deal) and 20mm rounds.

There's a lot of pieces missing from the puzzle but so far what has been revealed doesn't look so hot for you and Mr. Hyman. Part of the missing info is how you gain access to JBLM - are/were you a military member or are/were you a dependent? Is Mr. Hyman the military member? If you're a member of the military or a dependent that could explain why you still have post access privileges until you're convicted, if you get convicted. Not sure what the Army's policy on that is, but if you/he is in the military, the blurb about more potential charges could mean a military CID investigation and charges via UCMJ as well. That's all speculative at this point since neither you nor the Tribune article has said anything about that.

You really should do yourself a favor though and NOT post anything more about your case, as much entertainment as it's been, because just like what you say with your mouth - anything you write here, or on other forums can and likely will be used against you as evidence in your trial if the police or fedgoons find out about it. Your lawyer should've told you that, and should've told you not to talk about anything until after the conclusion of the trial, because if you're discussing it with friends or family or random people those people can be called upon as witnesses and grilled by the prosecutors. If the police are out to get you as you want us to believe, don't help them with the job.

My thoughts regarding the lawyer is the same. If the truth is being stated it should have been advised by your lawyer that you should not speak of this....more so in a public forum.
If you are getting railroaded....i have been and fought and won against a bad cop then all the judging here should not matter. You only know what's true.
The paper can only report what facts they are given and twist that SOME to make for a better read....that is a lot more than some twisting. Take the solid advise of sticking to your lawyer. Moving sounds iffy as well. I followed the thread. I was skeptical and the article makes me more so.
That in itself does not make you a liar. Just makes it so you should keep your mouth shut and let the lawyers do their job. If it is all bs then you should be ok. Otherwise as stated it just smells funny with the facts provided. I am not trying to be harsh and asked for an article to see if any of this was true...we have seen it now and after seeing it I can only wish you good luck.

Youre right, I know the truth and I know im innocent and I know the newspaper article didnt even correctly report the cops lies. When all is said n done I'll be sure to let the world know about the whole thing cause I refuse to be railroded by anyone.

In my mind the jury is still out on this one, what information we have does not add up to anything that makes sense one way or the other.

You would think that in today's political climate, finding an assortment of 20mm, 40mm, and 81mm inert, and live ordinance would be national news.
This is the stuff the Justice Department would be spoon feeding the press for it's enormous PR value, if for no other reason. Knowing this why was there only one article in a local paper?

As far as the press is concerned, well, inaccuracy in reporting is the norm now a days. I've personally have been witness to events that when reported by the press had no semblance of what actually transpired.

I have the utmost respect for those in law enforcement, but we all know there are bad apples in any basket.

In the late '70s,. I was a witness to a stabbing that occurred in a bar fight, and my testimony was instrumental in the DA not being able to secure` a Murder conviction in what became a high profile trial.
This DA had political aspirations, and winning this conviction would greatly further his cause.
This DA leaked erroneous information about me to the press that not only slandered my character, but this also put my very life in danger.

So you can see why I've become somewhat jaded in my later years.

I'm not saying things are one way or the other, all I'm saying is that often not all is what it appears to be.....and I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt until all is revealed.

After all, are not we all presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?

My advice:

1) Stop posting here about any legal cases like this - anything you say here can and will be used in court against you. It is not wise to do this no matter what the circumstances of the case. Stop now.

If your lawyer has advised you to not talk to anybody about this case, especially on the internet, then take that advice. If your lawyer did not, then get another lawyer.

2) You won't get any authoritative "proof" from the internet. You might get some info if you use your brains and google for it, but anybody can be anybody on the internet and you can't take that to court or rely on it.

What you need is an expert in military explosive devices - if you can afford one.

Beyond that, I am not going to comment to you on your case as it is apparent that not all the facts are being presented and it would take a lot of digging into it with your lawyer and the police records to come up with any useful advice, *IF* I knew anything about military explosives, which I do not, and most people here do not.

In short, this is really the wrong place to ask, and the wrong place to discuss this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top