JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This morning I took the dogs for a walk, and about 100ft or so from the front door I hear a sage brush erupt into noise. I knew instantly it was rattle snake, but I could not see the thing, and my dogs were going crazy. At last, I saw the rattle moving around a little, but that was the only part of the snake I could see. I grab my little .380 and place all 7 rounds into the spot where I think the rest of the guy was. After the remaining echo died down from the last shot, I couldn't see or hear the rattler anymore. Using a stick from nearby I moved the sage around until I saw him. Not sure how many rounds made contact, but I would guess a few of them as he was ripped up pretty good and split in the midsection.

Usually don't kill snakes as I like them more than the sage rats and mice, but this one was just too close for comfort. Also, I can't say that .380 is the best way to go about dispatching snakes, but in this instance it sure did the job and the dogs are safe. And then I hit the local trails, cheers
IMG_20170523_091242_zpsaoyblhgm.jpg
PANO_20170522_120332_zps95ch7vw3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah the trusty .380 lol I have one now lol people ask why I say gun is small rounds are deadly (NOW) I can carry it in my pocket lol AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF DEAD GANG BANGER 'S AT THE END OF A .380 BARREL

A revolver with snake shot might have cooled him with one shot, but you seem to have handled it. ;) Revolver because shot (as apposed to a bullet) in a pistol cartridge often fails to cycle the action effectively on a semi-auto.

Nice neighborhood you live in by the way. Beautiful.

I hit a rabbit a while back with the same .380. It was on the run, and while a beautiful shot, was pure luck. I was so excited, threw that bugger on the bbq and.... it tasted like crap. Could not believe it. My wife thought it tasted like "weird crab", and I though it tasted like a bad combo of trout and chicken. Needless to say, the thought of that thing tasting good, after a rabbit tasting like bubblegume, was not the most pleasant.

Still bummed about that rabbit. Thought I had some fun small game on the property.

By the way this is the gun that helped me find this site I was looking for help finding a firing pin for it but there was a few guy's on Here that told me how to make one and there it is working great lol

Buy a good .44 Magnum revolver and stoke it with CCI/Speer shot loads (.44 Special/Magnum). You'll be pleased with the results.
This is exactly what I carry for snakes when hunting over east. Have never had to use it but I am confident in its abilities should the need arise.

Nice work OP getting the job done with the tools at hand.

Buy a good .44 Magnum revolver and stoke it with CCI/Speer shot loads (.44 Special/Magnum). You'll be pleased with the results.

This is exactly what I carry for snakes when hunting over east. Have never had to use it but I am confident in its abilities should the need arise.

Nice work OP getting the job done with the tools at hand.
44 is plenty of gun for snake loads. Even a .22 magnum snake load will take care of most North American snakes.
Or here's another take on a snake gun. ;)
snakes-cover1.jpg

I only got one question why don't you just walk around the snake it's not a bear it's not going to Chase you down and eat you lol I grew up in southern California in the Mojave desert there were snake's everywhere Mojave green 's lol my uncle owned a bar called the DELTA LADY SALOON and they had a rattle snake contest. Every week guy's would bring in live rattle snakes too see who could catch the biggest one

I even got a bronze rattle made from a real snake it's a necklace but I don't have the chain and it stays in the safe because there are very few of them from the guy who made it that have the name of the bar on the back the last picture is the back side needs to be cleaned but I is ingraved Delta lady IMAG0994.jpg IMAG0992.jpg IMAG0993.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews