JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just saying if I'm carrying a 44 Mag around it's not going to be loaded with snake shot my OTHER uncle was a outfitter in Nevada and Montana and Wyoming horse and mountains hunting guide he carried a S/W MODEL 29 44MAG in a shoulder holster for years lol and it wasn't loaded with snake shot

You can also buy Speer empty shot capsules and roll you own for wheel guns. I load em for my 45 Blackhawk and never had a rattler argue with me about their lethality. I think they come in 38, 44 and 45.
I know some have loaded their own for autos but I didn't get far enough into it to detect if I thought these guys were on the right track or just knuckleheads. One of the manufacturers used to sell full brass snake loads in 45 auto that had a rounded 6pt crimp that looked way cool and shot and cycled good, but I haven't seen those in years. Wished i'd of kept that brass.:s0125:

I now have another excuse for an additional 380!

.22LR birdshot works well in dear old Dad's Colt Frontier Scout, killed many a Montana or Wyoming rattler with it (He did, not me).

He carried it either in the pickup or when riding a horse, tractor, or later an ATV. He had it with him everyday.

Lol this is an interesting thread. I never tried rattle snake. Would love to try some sometime.

Anyway...imo if it's on private property or your in the middle of no where; if ricochet isn't a problem, just blast it with what you have on you. When I was younger and did some farm work for a family I knew very well, I dispatched a lot of various pest with .45 acp.

I have eaten "pit-fed" rattlesnake (canned). That was 52 years ago, but it was quite good. A taste that was a cross between chicken and tuna as I recall. From what I have been told, wild rattlesnake has a bit of a "gamey" flavor. (Range feeding will do that).

For the best results, after you have skinned and removed the guts and blackline along the snake's spine, you should sautee' the reptile gently for 10 minutes in a skillet with clarified butter. You then reach in and grab the spine where the head would join the rest of the carcass and gently shake the meat from the skeleton.

Uae the meat as you would boned chicken or tuna.

I only got one question why don't you just walk around the snake it's not a bear it's not going to Chase you down and eat you lol I grew up in southern California in the Mojave desert there were snake's everywhere Mojave green 's lol my uncle owned a bar called the DELTA LADY SALOON and they had a rattle snake contest. Every week guy's would bring in live rattle snakes too see who could catch the biggest one

OP said it was just outside his door and dogs were going nuts. Few dogs will leave a snake alone and if bit it's VERY expensive to save them if they even can be. When I used to hunt I left them when found. When I lived in the sticks I did not want any around the house for just this reason. Did not want the animals finding it or me finding it late some summer night in my yard.

The judge I wouldn't call that snake shot lol that would be bird shot and it's pretty heavy

That's always been the problem with them. I remember when Taurus came out with them I was surprised it took off like it did. Another maker had been making them for a long time and they were a rare thing to see for the same reason. Large and heavy and the long lead made it hard to get decent accuracy with the .45 Colt ammo. For snakes a wheel gun in .44 or .45 colt works great. Those CCI loads are fine for this and the same gun then works well with standard ammo.

I have eaten "pit-fed" rattlesnake (canned). That was 52 years ago, but it was quite good. A taste that was a cross between chicken and tuna as I recall. From what I have been told, wild rattlesnake has a bit of a "gamey" flavor. (Range feeding will do that).

For the best results, after you have skinned and removed the guts and blackline along the snake's spine, you should sautee' the reptile gently for 10 minutes in a skillet with clarified butter. You then reach in and grab the spine where the head would join the rest of the carcass and gently shake the meat from the skeleton.

Uae the meat as you would boned chicken or tuna.
Tasted like gamey chicken to me too. Not very gamey, kind of like dark meat. Not bad.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top