JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was at the range with one of the pilots I work with. He had brought out his CCP I believe it was a Kimber solo. He couldn't get through a 6 round magazine without 2-3 malfunctions. He said it was more reliable with his carry ammo but even then I think he had a malfunction. That's likely a combo of ammo and pistol but it was the only .380 issue I have seen. I would definitely prefer 9mm over .380 for a carry gun but if .380 is what you'll actually carry than carry it but if you will consistently carry a 9mm the extra versatility wont be something you'll regret. Also I believe 9mm ammo is generally less expensive than .380 due to economy of scale.

The Solo was Kimbers Edsel/Problem Child. Over priced JAMA MATIC.
LOL

Jeez I wonder who scooped that up! Also the price!?

No problemo! It happens.

I cant remember now. He had to try several times. Several places either refused to take it or stopped it after it started. People who were pissed off would make a fake account and bid it up with no intention of buying it. He did finally find a buyer if I remember right. People will collect all kinds of strange stuff.

I have definitely been buying different clothes than I'd normally wear. Although they happen to be aimed at colder weather at the moment, I was thinking something slim for summer time when I have to be out and about and not scaring the locals if I print a full size or even double stack sc through my shirt. I'm just hoping all my strict dieting and work out regiment will pay off and allow me to appendix carry by summer. Damn these love handles! How I envy people appendix carrying full size pistols...
A LOT of carry is a constant search for something you can conceal and something that is comfortable for the time you want to carry. This of course varies a LOT from one person to another. Most of us who have carried for a long time also tend to end up with a box of holsters in a closet that are no longer used. When someone asks about a holster that "works" you get the same kind of answers you get when you ask what gun works. So for most of us it's a trial and error endeavor.

I was at the range with one of the pilots I work with. He had brought out his CCP I believe it was a Kimber solo. He couldn't get through a 6 round magazine without 2-3 malfunctions. He said it was more reliable with his carry ammo but even then I think he had a malfunction. That's likely a combo of ammo and pistol but it was the only .380 issue I have seen. I would definitely prefer 9mm over .380 for a carry gun but if .380 is what you'll actually carry than carry it but if you will consistently carry a 9mm the extra versatility wont be something you'll regret. Also I believe 9mm ammo is generally less expensive than .380 due to economy of scale.
Why would he carry a pistol that he knew did not work??? When I buy a gun that I intend to use for either carry or home protection it would never be used until it proved to me that it would work when I needed it. Yes it sucks big time to buy a fairly expensive gun like that and have problems but damn. I would either get it working, or buy something else to carry.

Love handles aka IWB holster retention hood ;-).

Just practice with good dress and practice you should be able to conceal well. And remember that 99% of the people are balls deep in their cell phone and will likely never notice even if you are full on printing with a skin tight shirt outlining your pistol. You still want to do your best to conceal and also id recommend having a prepared excuse for what the bulge is. I'm fond of Insulin pump, Colostomy bag, and pain pump. Make them feel uncomfortable and like they may have offended you and they will likely drop the subject quickly.

Now we're speaking my language. If there is one thing I love it's a good ol straight face awkward conversation haha also I wish my love handles covered the gun it would make it almost easier. I'm about 5'11 225lbs so I'm in that awkward losing weight phase where my sides push my grip out super awkwardly.

Noted! I think in that case I would worried about over penetration. Damn you ammo! Give me middle ground! :s0103:
This is another thing that in my opinion gets a lot of people way to worked up. In the first place you are going to go your life and never have to shoot anyone. If in the slim chance you do the odds that the round is going to sail off to hit someone else gets into the outer space of chances. Now this is assuming you are not the type who sees a thief running or driving away from your house and stand there sending rounds all over the neighborhood. If you have to shoot someone in what I call a "good shoot", it means they were an immediate danger. That means you need them hurt bad fast. The ammo I use in my 9s in a +P round that does some really impressive stuff in gelatin. Could it go through a dobad? Maybe. I will take that chance. I am NOT going to stand on my front lawn though and send rounds after someone driving away though so I am not worried about it.

This is another thing that in my opinion gets a lot of people way to worked up. In the first place you are going to go your life and never have to shoot anyone. If in the slim chance you do the odds that the round is going to sail off to hit someone else gets into the outer space of chances. Now this is assuming you are not the type who sees a thief running or driving away from your house and stand there sending rounds all over the neighborhood. If you have to shoot someone in what I call a "good shoot", it means they were an immediate danger. That means you need them hurt bad fast. The ammo I use in my 9s in a +P round that does some really impressive stuff in gelatin. Could it go through a dobad? Maybe. I will take that chance. I am NOT going to stand on my front lawn though and send rounds after someone driving away though so I am not worried about it.

Quite fair. I'm originally from NY I've met more hostile people there growing up than I have since I moved to Oregon. I doubt I'll ever have to use my ccw. If anything I feel I'd probably end up having to use it on a wild animal while hiking way before any human.
I'm not one to spray and pray, I'd be more worry of a full through and through on a baddie and the exit inflicting damage. Although this why I use hollows. Either way your point is one of the biggest I don't think a lot of people think of.

I'm 5'10 240lbs.

I have a bodyguard .380 with the laser I can pocket carry in one of those sleeve holsters, and draw it fine.

I also have an LC9S, which I suppose I could pocket carry, but it would print & draw may be difficult (haven't tried to be honest with a pocket holster though). I also have a new LC9S pro (no safety), so that will absolutely never be pocket carried unless it's not condition 1, & then what would the point of pocket carrying that be anyways?

The LC9's are great for most clothing excluding shorts and a T with my frame. In that circumstance the .380 is perfect for me.

Shorts and a pollo, IWB LC9.

Colder weather full size 9 IWB.

Quite fair. I'm originally from NY I've met more hostile people there growing up than I have since I moved to Oregon. I doubt I'll ever have to use my ccw. If anything I feel I'd probably end up having to use it on a wild animal while hiking way before any human.
I'm not one to spray and pray, I'd be more worry of a full through and through on a baddie and the exit inflicting damage. Although this why I use hollows. Either way your point is one of the biggest I don't think a lot of people think of.

Met any meth heads out hiking yet? ... I have ... creeeepy ...

I brought that up because very recently there was some fool who shot a neighbor this way. Thieves driving away and he stands on porch firing at them. one goes through another house. I have long ago had to shoot someone. Be happy if it never happens again. I also have had to pull a gun a few times and it ended the problem right then and there. This probably happens a LOT more than is ever reported. The one time I had to do this there was no CC law where I lived. Middle of the damn day 2 dopers wanted to rob me. They had knives. Instead of my wallet I pulled out a gun. They ran. I went on my way. I suspect this has happened a hell of a lot of times the same way. Someone who could not carry but did so they of course don't want to call Cops after.

Met any meth heads out hiking yet? ... I have ... creeeepy ...
Haven't run into any hiking thankfully. The meth problem out here is crazy. What's even worse is the psychosis it can induce not only from just use but severity depending on nutrition (usually not great on meth users) and amount of time awake (usually 2 to 3 days) in a manner of speaking theybare zombies to the extent that their brain naturally wants to sleep but the stimulants act as a consciousness driver and force the brain to overclock.

I brought that up because very recently there was some fool who shot a neighbor this way. Thieves driving away and he stands on porch firing at them. one goes through another house. I have long ago had to shoot someone. Be happy if it never happens again. I also have had to pull a gun a few times and it ended the problem right then and there. This probably happens a LOT more than is ever reported. The one time I had to do this there was no CC law where I lived. Middle of the damn day 2 dopers wanted to rob me. They had knives. Instead of my wallet I pulled out a gun. They ran. I went on my way. I suspect this has happened a hell of a lot of times the same way. Someone who could not carry but did so they of course don't want to call Cops after.

I suspect that happens a lot with people even legally armed. Although especially here were its legal and actually quite common I'd probably call the cops after a defense brandish cause I'll be damn if some doers try to be slick and get to a 911 operator first and I have to talk down a cop while I'm at gun point who thinks the tables were turned and I'm some armed psychopath. Glad youre still here with us and you got out safe!

I moved up my EDC from 380 to 9mm a few years ago. The 380's lack of barrier penetration would be my nightmare. Say you have got a bad guy shooting from under or behind a flipped over solid wood table. Maybe behind a double wood fence and your 380 just can't make it through.

If they're undercover it would probably behoove most to GTFO of that situation instead of stay and fight. I'm sure there are some times where one could be defending themselves in an office where barrier penetration could be important. That's why a desk .45/.357 mag is a good idea :)

Another one is of an IRS worker got in a slight fender bender that had to defend against a driver with anger history.

Shot him and stopped him after pleading with him not to approach.

And the poor IRS workers life was ruined, but after court he was not sentenced . But now rebuilding his life.
The gun was a ruger or KelTec .380

Story was aired on I think 60 minutes.

Not much to add ...
But remember its all about what works for you and your situation.
Also , since situations can change ... be flexible in your outlook.

Do your homework , ask questions , find out what gun , holster and ammo works for you.
Then practice , carrying , handling and shooting until it becomes muscle memory.

Kinda boring advise and I've said it a bunch ... but I think it works.
Andy

Another one is of an IRS worker got in a slight fender bender that had to defend against a driver with anger history.

Shot him and stopped him after pleading with him not to approach.

And the poor IRS workers life was ruined, but after court he was not sentenced . But now rebuilding his life.

Story was aired on I think 60 minutes.

Poor guy. Hope that dude is doing better

Not much to add ...
But remember its all about what works for you and your situation.
Also , since situations can change ... be flexible in your outlook.

Do your homework , ask questions , find out what gun , holster and ammo works for you.
Then practice , carrying , handling and shooting until it becomes muscle memory.

Kinda boring advise and I've said it a bunch ... but I think it works.
Andy

Great advice that I keep in mind, but it's always nice to get a refresher!

Some of the 380 loads do pretty darn well through my CZ83 and Baretta 84 and not as well with slightly shorter barrel 380's like my S&W Bodyguard. I don't do a bunch of fancy geliten tests but I do use water jugs and clay banks and there's a notible difference in impact between the different barrel lengths. Even with the same ammo. No doubt in my mind. That extra inch or 2" can make a big difference in performance. Especially in what I'd consider t be a marginal defense caliber. I guess it all comes down to size and concilibility considerations for your particular circumstances.
I very much like both the CZ and Baretta and they are are relitivly small frame guns. Ya a nine is better and about the same size. I have several of those too !!;)
But Hell Ya,,in a 4 inch or so barrel the 380 will get the job done if needed,,,,,,,,Way better than a pointy stick anyhoo!!

A 380's not as much of a slouch as some may make it out to be IMHO.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top