JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see a lot of forums and articles saying the concensus is just carry 9mm over .380 due to stopping power or other variables. Has any one had or know of some horror stories where they wish they would've had a 9 instead of 380? I can't seem to find anything. Just trying to get a more round about view about rounds. :s0067:

I think any sane person would "wish" for a 9mm over a .380 given about any unknown scenario.
However, with good ammo, a .380 is certainly capable of doing a number on what it hits.. if placed right.

I think any sane person would "wish" for a 9mm over a .380 given about any unknown scenario.
However, with good ammo, a .380 is certainly capable of doing a number on what it hits.. if placed right.

I ask because I understand the conceal ability of a compact .380 compared to a 9mm. I mean I know a 22 placed right will eliminate a threat. I myself would prefer a 9mm or 40, but I would like a nice little .380 to conceal (especially for summer - I'm a bigger guy hopefully a little less by summer-), just wanted to take a few experienced opinions on the reliability of a .380. Don't wanna show up to a gun fight with a knife :p

Better to have a gun than no gun. When my clothing allows a 9mm, that's what I choose. But there a good number of times that my teeny 380 is the right choice.

Definitely. I would rather have a 22 than nothing. Just wanted to get some feed back on the reliability of those tiny 380 handguns.

I don't know what you'll find from us. All pistol rounds suck and require quality hits. So just carry the biggest best gun possible in a given situation and train for making good hits fast under pressure and leave it at that.

I don't know what you'll find from us. All pistol rounds suck and require quality hits. So just carry the biggest best gun possible in a given situation and train for making good hits fast under pressure and leave it at that.

Fair enough. I am not worried about my ability to land shots on target, just making sure those shots will be effective and not the firearm equivalent to launching a skittles out of a slingshot. Also I'm fairly certain from both your responses I have received quite a bit of info to take with me. More so reinforcing what I was thinking to begin with. Just making sure my train of thought on the subject has a little real world experience behind it. :s0101:

The topic has been beaten to death here and many other places, but shot placement is key. I personally carry both, and each depends on attire and what I'm doing that day.

The topic has been beaten to death here and many other places, but shot placement is key. I personally carry both, and each depends on attire and what I'm doing that day.
I realize that it's pretty much beating a dead horse. I just very much enjoy this forum and like the insight you guys bring to the table. Was just looking for some closer to home experience :s0013:

I don't mind rehashing topics. Some people just need to talk it through with good folks. 380 is as small as I go, but that's because 25's and 32's are no smaller. I see guns as just a size thing. I choose the gun that fits and leave it at that. But thats because I can own several different sizes. If I was going to only have one gun, I don't think I'd go any smaller than a Glock 26. If I had 2, I'd go with a G19 and a 43, both 9. Until one can keep 3 or more in the rotation, a 380 just doesn't need to be there. Maybe a PM9 is the smallest I'd go.

TNOutdoors9 used to do the best gel testing videos on youtube, he is sadly no longer posting them.
You can see that 380 isn't a slouch when it comes to expansion or penetration. I would be comfortable defending myself with the caliber.

I think it's really tough to compare the two in a real world scenario. I mean ballistics gel is one thing but really trying to compare them as far as true stopping power would require determining shot placement, distance, barrel length, bullet weight and type, and other factors in various shoots and seeing how fast the person shot actually "stopped". That's a lot of variables. ;)

I say carry what you shoot well and what your comfortable carrying.

I prefer 357 sig. but don't think 45,9mm,357sig and 40 S&W act very different inside the body.

And I don't have a problem with 32 or 380.
I have a problem with tiny locked breach gun reliability. I'm not saying they don't work. But just not as vigorously when compared to guns in 9mm on up.

If you really want to carry 380. I would go with a blowback gun.

I don't mind rehashing topics. Some people just need to talk it through with good folks.

Oh I certainly wasn't meaning that a rehash was inappropriate. It's just such a hard thing to really "put on paper" and leaves it more up to opinions and argument. There have been so many threads about "Which caliber is best" it just gets dizzying reading all the responses and disagreements.

At the OP, I hope you understood my original comment.

Thank you everyone for the advice. You all definitely answered my questions and doubts. I'm so happy I joined this forum you guys are great! Hope to put some down range with you all in the future! :s0104:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top