JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh I certainly wasn't meaning that a rehash was inappropriate. It's just such a hard thing to really "put on paper" and leaves it more up to opinions and argument. There have been so many threads about "Which caliber is best" it just gets dizzying reading all the responses and disagreements.

At the OP, I hope you understood my original comment.

Oh I did. I appreciate all of your responses!

I see a lot of forums and articles saying the concensus is just carry 9mm over .380 due to stopping power or other variables. Has any one had or know of some horror stories where they wish they would've had a 9 instead of 380? I can't seem to find anything. Just trying to get a more round about view about rounds. :s0067:

This might be of interest to you

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF

Tiny LCP for deep concealed! Mini 9 for convenient carry!

.45ACP for serious reason carry! .357mag for country carry! :D

This really funny. I think the same way. I use my LCP custom when I'm being lazy, my Shield 9mm regularly, my 6" Dan Wesson .357 mag revolver for the woods, and my SR45 .45 ACP for mostly home defense/ SHTF.

Last Edited:
To be honest, I've NEVER in my life shot a 9mm. Only 22, 380 and 40 (well, and 410 and 5.56), but I like my lil 380. It's always on me while the 40 is relegated to almost always. I actually shoot it off-hand better than strong-hand and keep it on my weak side.
I'm going to test out some Underwood Xtreme Defender here soon and if it feeds and shoots to my liking, that's what I'll be going with, but I have been actually alternating rounds of Corbon JHP and ball for the longest time.

A friend of one of our members here in the forum has some nice videos, one of which compares 9mm from a compact and .380 thru a simulated human using meat & ribs.

I'll see if I can't find it in the overnight, or if someone else has it...feel free. Pretty enlightening actually.

A friend of one of our members here in the forum has some nice videos, one of which compares 9mm from a compact and .380 thru a simulated human using meat & ribs.

I'll see if I can't find it in the overnight, or if someone else has it...feel free. Pretty enlightening actually.
He's done at least two. Here's one..

He's done at least two. Here's one..

Oh I love this dudes videos! All super relevant seeing as he's in Oregon and an army veteran. Really relatable especially to myself. Will watch this right when I get home. Also a big thank you to everyone else that recommended vids. It's hard to find good shooter vids that arnt completely one sided or unexperienced or worse just looking for views. I much prefer when someone more experienced with the civilian side of firearms has found some stuff that is just plain example instead of "oh glock sucks" or "oh you only need glocks" what happened to United we shoot? Er... Stand! :s0005:

My lady uses a LCP in 380. Nice to carry. And I ,we do use the ball ammo for penetrating thicker clothing such as leather jackets. Better than nothing. I like my .45s as 1st choice. And she won't give it back anyway.

Oh I love this dudes videos! All super relevant seeing as he's in Oregon and an army veteran. Really relatable especially to myself. Will watch this right when I get home. Also a big thank you to everyone else that recommended vids. It's hard to find good shooter vids that arnt completely one sided or unexperienced or worse just looking for views. I much prefer when someone more experienced with the civilian side of firearms has found some stuff that is just plain example instead of "oh glock sucks" or "oh you only need glocks" what happened to United we shoot? Er... Stand! :s0005:

Wow I'm subscribed.

Definitely. I would rather have a 22 than nothing. Just wanted to get some feed back on the reliability of those tiny 380 handguns.

Well, but there are some really small 9mm pistols on the market now.

Have you looked at the Beretta Nano?

Does anyone really need a gun smaller than this??

IMG_1740.jpg

I ask because I understand the conceal ability of a compact .380 compared to a 9mm. I mean I know a 22 placed right will eliminate a threat. I myself would prefer a 9mm or 40, but I would like a nice little .380 to conceal (especially for summer - I'm a bigger guy hopefully a little less by summer-), just wanted to take a few experienced opinions on the reliability of a .380. Don't wanna show up to a gun fight with a knife :p

I don't want to show up at a gun fight with ANY handgun. All this caliber talk really does nothing. No hand gun is good for a gun fight. Problem is it tends to be hard to carry around a long gun so you have it when you need it. Wise man once said the first rule to winning a gun fight is have a gun. Larger is of course better. If larger is sitting at home because you were just running to the store for something, well you don't get to call a time out while you run home to get it. No do overs in real life. In my life I have known a couple guys who did always carry well. One carried a Mod.27 and he was GOOD with it. Few are that dedicated to carry. I know I am sure not.

I don't want to show up at a gun fight with ANY handgun. All this caliber talk really does nothing. No hand gun is good for a gun fight. Problem is it tends to be hard to carry around a long gun so you have it when you need it. Wise man once said the first rule to winning a gun fight is have a gun. Larger is of course better. If larger is sitting at home because you were just running to the store for something, well you don't get to call a time out while you run home to get it. No do overs in real life. In my life I have known a couple guys who did always carry well. One carried a Mod.27 and he was GOOD with it. Few are that dedicated to carry. I know I am sure not.
I used to conceal carry a 4" M-29. Did that for about a year when I weighed like 140-150 (5'11), under T-shirts and whatnot. The ammo I carried in it probably weighed more than some .380's, lol.

I used to conceal carry a 4" M-29. Did that for about a year when I weighed like 140-150 (5'11), under T-shirts and whatnot. The ammo I carried in it probably weighed more than some .380's, lol.
Before they perfected the micro autos in large caliber I had a few of those old Charter 5 shot 44's. Experimented with making the one with the 4inch heavy barrel a good carry gun. Came up with one with compact grips and a 2.5 or so tube. People would always do a double take when asking to see it. When I would dump the rounds out they would look at the gun then the rounds with "is this a joke" look on their face. Even with the alloy frame those little guns held up quite well. Often kind of wish I had kept at least one of them.

Before they perfected the micro autos in large caliber I had a few of those old Charter 5 shot 44's. Experimented with making the one with the 4inch heavy barrel a good carry gun. Came up with one with compact grips and a 2.5 or so tube. People would always do a double take when asking to see it. When I would dump the rounds out they would look at the gun then the rounds with "is this a joke" look on their face. Even with the alloy frame those little guns held up quite well. Often kind of wish I had kept at least one of them.
Yea, I had a stainless Bulldog.. neat gun. I handoaded it to stop trucks. lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top