JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I moved up my EDC from 380 to 9mm a few years ago. The 380's lack of barrier penetration would be my nightmare. Say you have got a bad guy shooting from under or behind a flipped over solid wood table. Maybe behind a double wood fence and your 380 just can't make it through.

I moved up my EDC from 380 to 9mm a few years ago. The 380's lack of barrier penetration would be my nightmare. Say you have got a bad guy shooting from under or behind a flipped over solid wood table. Maybe behind a double wood fence and your 380 just can't make it through.

Ah, see this is something I didn't think of. I made this thread under the pretense of getting into a "stand your ground" altercation. Valid valid point. I think this enough was enough to shift my thoughts on a 380 and just grab a compact 9 for when a bigger 9 or 40 is not feasible. That's some insight right there! Jeez, Now I wanna carry a damn 45 just in case I need to reach THROUGH and touch someone :s0054:

I'm afraid my shot placement with a micro .380 might yield it better stopping power than a 9mm. (Sig p238 vs p938) Now don't get me wrong, I am fairly sure I could stop a threat very well with either, I just know my rapid fire shot placement is better with the .380.

Buffalo bore hard cast .380 and underwood penetrators will go through around two yards of ballistic gelatin. pretty much
I definitely have to see that. That's pretty nuts. I've never actually felt ballistic gelatin. I'm unsure how to compare that to amount of travel through gel compared to a harder surface (say a fence like what was mentioned.)

Ah, see this is something I didn't think of. I made this thread under the pretense of getting into a "stand your ground" altercation. Valid valid point. I think this enough was enough to shift my thoughts on a 380 and just grab a compact 9 for when a bigger 9 or 40 is not feasible. That's some insight right there! Jeez, Now I wanna carry a damn 45 just in case I need to reach THROUGH and touch someone :s0054:

Have you ever seen a 230grain 45 hardball bounce off a front windshield? Quite a WTH moment.

My Ruger LC9s at 17 ounces unloaded is pocketable with one of those Blackhawk fabric holsters, or in a kydex clamshell IWB holster it just sinks into the side of my love handles without printing.

Have you ever seen a 230grain 45 hardball bounce off a front windshield? Quite a WTH moment.

My Ruger LC9s at 17 ounces unloaded is pocketable with one of those Blackhawk fabric holsters, or in a kydex clamshell IWB holster it just sinks into the side of my love handles without printing.
I have most certainly not seen that but I can imagine the wtf moment being a bit Confusing. I almost imagine the angle of the windshield just ricocheting the bullet. What a trip.

I was at the range with one of the pilots I work with. He had brought out his CCP I believe it was a Kimber solo. He couldn't get through a 6 round magazine without 2-3 malfunctions. He said it was more reliable with his carry ammo but even then I think he had a malfunction. That's likely a combo of ammo and pistol but it was the only .380 issue I have seen. I would definitely prefer 9mm over .380 for a carry gun but if .380 is what you'll actually carry than carry it but if you will consistently carry a 9mm the extra versatility wont be something you'll regret. Also I believe 9mm ammo is generally less expensive than .380 due to economy of scale.

I was at the range with one of the pilots I work with. He had brought out his CCP I believe it was a Kimber solo. He couldn't get through a 6 round magazine without 2-3 malfunctions. He said it was more reliable with his carry ammo but even then I think he had a malfunction. That's likely a combo of ammo and pistol but it was the only .380 issue I have seen. I would definitely prefer 9mm over .380 for a carry gun but if .380 is what you'll actually carry than carry it but if you will consistently carry a 9mm the extra versatility wont be something you'll regret. Also I believe 9mm ammo is generally less expensive than .380 due to economy of scale.
Only reason I can think that I wouldn't carry is due to lack of being able to conceal due to let's say hot weather. This thread has pretty much showed me I have a lot of options when it comes to super compact 9s. I have a XD40 and a Xd9sc. Love my SC but that double stack magazine is thick as bubblegum and prints (I'm a bigger guy hopefully less big by summer) I considered a 380 due to size but if they have those pocket 9s I have no problem carrying extra mags when I don't have a full size on me.

Only reason I can think that I wouldn't carry is due to lack of being able to conceal due to let's say hot weather. This thread has pretty much showed me I have a lot of options when it comes to super compact 9s. I have a XD40 and a Xd9sc. Love my SC but that double stack magazine is thick as bubblegum and prints (I'm a bigger guy hopefully less big by summer) I considered a 380 due to size but if they have those pocket 9s I have no problem carrying extra mags when I don't have a full size on me.

Yup I have considered a small slim .380 or 9mm for carry in dress clothes such as a suit as with my build I tend to wear more trim 'athletic' cuts on shirts and jackets making concealed carry a bit more difficult. Most of the time you really want to ensure you're dressing to carry that includes things like buying larger pants sizes to allow IWB carry comfortably along with buying shirts of a slightly heavier material and with a slightly longer hem to properly cover your pistol. I have found that something like the LA Police Gear polo works quite well to conceal even when rocking shorts.

Yup I have considered a small slim .380 or 9mm for carry in dress clothes such as a suit as with my build I tend to wear more trim 'athletic' cuts on shirts and jackets making concealed carry a bit more difficult. Most of the time you really want to ensure you're dressing to carry that includes things like buying larger pants sizes to allow IWB carry comfortably along with buying shirts of a slightly heavier material and with a slightly longer hem to properly cover your pistol. I have found that something like the LA Police Gear polo works quite well to conceal even when rocking shorts.
I have definitely been buying different clothes than I'd normally wear. Although they happen to be aimed at colder weather at the moment, I was thinking something slim for summer time when I have to be out and about and not scaring the locals if I print a full size or even double stack sc through my shirt. I'm just hoping all my strict dieting and work out regiment will pay off and allow me to appendix carry by summer. Damn these love handles! How I envy people appendix carrying full size pistols...

I have definitely been buying different clothes than I'd normally wear. Although they happen to be aimed at colder weather at the moment, I was thinking something slim for summer time when I have to be out and about and not scaring the locals if I print a full size or even double stack sc through my shirt. I'm just hoping all my strict dieting and work out regiment will pay off and allow me to appendix carry by summer. Damn these love handles! How I envy people appendix carrying full size pistols...

Love handles aka IWB holster retention hood ;-).

Just practice with good dress and practice you should be able to conceal well. And remember that 99% of the people are balls deep in their cell phone and will likely never notice even if you are full on printing with a skin tight shirt outlining your pistol. You still want to do your best to conceal and also id recommend having a prepared excuse for what the bulge is. I'm fond of Insulin pump, Colostomy bag, and pain pump. Make them feel uncomfortable and like they may have offended you and they will likely drop the subject quickly.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top