JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She's not carrying it anymore. I'm currently trying to talk her into a lightweight revolver to carry. She has a .357 snubbie but it is too heavy for her to carry. I might have to get her a .22 or a .22mag.
I think there's a nice NIB pre-lock titanium Smith .357 snubby in the classifieds right now. Weighs like 9 ounces.

Her current .357 is heavy and ported. Great for shooting but heavy for her to carry. Sucks to be me but I get to carry it when I want. That's not bad.

We looked at a light .38spec with a light(ish) trigger action but she didn't want to spend any money. Oy vey!!!

Her current .357 is heavy and ported. Great for shooting but heavy for her to carry. Sucks to be me but I get to carry it when I want. That's not bad.

We looked at a light .38spec with a light(ish) trigger action but she didn't want to spend any money. Oy vey!!!
I think the Ruger .38 snub is $350 right now at the Armory.
The magnum is $50 more.

This one time I tried to load 9mm into a damn .380 case that made it through sorting. That's a horror story.

I have a half peanut butter jar full of .380 because they slip through when picking brass up. Cleaned and deprimed.

I carry a Glock 42 daily and have never felt underarmed with it. Running Underwood XTP +p alternating with Underwood Xtreme Penetrators with an extra mag.

By just carrying the gun I feel I am more prepared than 99% of the population. There are more stories of confrontations ending by the mere presence of a gun than there are of .380 not being enough round (based on my limited research and strong opinion :rolleyes:). 42 has proven to be a reliable gun, I can wear any type of clothing for any type of situation, it's cozy comfy in my N82 Pro at 4:00 every single day. To me that is better than the 45 in the safe. YMMV :cool:

I carry a Glock 42 daily and have never felt underarmed with it. Running Underwood XTP +p alternating with Underwood Xtreme Penetrators with an extra mag.

By just carrying the gun I feel I am more prepared than 99% of the population. There are more stories of confrontations ending by the mere presence of a gun than there are of .380 not being enough round (based on my limited research and strong opinion :rolleyes:). 42 has proven to be a reliable gun, I can wear any type of clothing for any type of situation, it's cozy comfy in my N82 Pro at 4:00 every single day. To me that is better than the 45 in the safe. YMMV :cool:

IDK if there is better data out there but his is the best I have found on this subject.
An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association
I see a lot of forums and articles saying the concensus is just carry 9mm over .380 due to stopping power or other variables. Has any one had or know of some horror stories where they wish they would've had a 9 instead of 380? I can't seem to find anything. Just trying to get a more round about view about rounds. :s0067:

IDK if there is better data out there but his is the best I have found on this subject.
An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association
Thoughts?

I have an American Derringer in 45ACP or 45LC in my pocket at all times, small powerful and capeable for most real threats. You seldom need to defend yourself from 50'........I have 380's but my combat commander gets a lot more use.

I see a lot of forums and articles saying the concensus is just carry 9mm over .380 due to stopping power or other variables. Has any one had or know of some horror stories where they wish they would've had a 9 instead of 380? I can't seem to find anything. Just trying to get a more round about view about rounds. :s0067:
Suggest you check out UNDERWOOD AMMO for their .380 EXTREME DEFENDER. Also check these rounds out on You Tube. Pricey but worth it for carry.

My thoughts exactly. My 'run to the grocery store' carry is a S&W 642. I specifically wanted a pocket carry piece. I carry in an Uncle Mike's pocket liner, loaded with Speer Gold Dot .38+P 'short barrel' protection loads. I know it won't jam, and will work every time I pull the trigger. Sure, it's only a five round answer, but I'm very comfortable with it, and understand the compromises.

I've done the same, but recently I upgraded to a Kimber micro 9.

The 642 and the Micro carry the same to me.They are light weight and I'm comfortable with either both have CTC laser grips.

Among the home arsenal, my wife and I share three .380's...LCP, Bodyguard and G42. I gravitate to the LCP more often than not for various reasons. My wife is comfortable with the G42 and quite good with it. For concealability, any of the .380's are my choice over any of my bigger handguns. Most incidences happen in close proximity and a .380 is just a shortened 9mm so, I don't particularly agree with the argument that one needs that little bit extra to eliminate a threat....placement wins every time. If I were planning on getting into a distance firefight, then yeah, I'd lug along my .40SW and/or AR15. I think it makes the point for whatever you feel comfortable with is what matters.

I would say not on all three counts.
One can do better than that.
So, you like your high speed 36's (357 magnum) You loose more energy out the back side of the target than you transfer. If you are a highway patrolman that needs to shoot at distance occasionally they are fine but at 5 feet, they are a waste. It is a fine field caliber but still inferior to a 44 mag if that is what you want.my wife carries a 3" M60 but we live in a rural area and occasionally need extra range. The army solved that debate in 1902. The only reason the 38 carterdiges are not called 36 is because the early 36 revolvers had such a bad reputation as man stoppers the marketing department wouldn't let the new caliber be called a 36.

I carry a .380 often. A Colt Mustang with 85 gr, 1080fps Magtech Ammo. I have killed a deer with a .380 and they are a lot hardier and harder to kill then the average Banger? If the first bullet does not drop them, shoot them in the face!

So, you like your high speed 36's (357 magnum) You loose more energy out the back side of the target than you transfer. If you are a highway patrolman that needs to shoot at distance occasionally they are fine but at 5 feet, they are a waste. It is a fine field caliber but still inferior to a 44 mag if that is what you want.my wife carries a 3" M60 but we live in a rural area and occasionally need extra range. The army solved that debate in 1902. The only reason the 38 carterdiges are not called 36 is because the early 36 revolvers had such a bad reputation as man stoppers the marketing department wouldn't let the new caliber be called a 36.
Yea, an "American Derringer in 45ACP or 45LC" is not small, powerful nor capable.

Always carry the largest caliber you can comfortably carry and shoot proficiently. .380 will kill any man, anyone who says otherwise is full of it. However, data proves larger caliber conventional pistol cartridges have greater lethality per round on target. Most gun deaths in the US are small calibers like .22-.25. I carry 9mm and .45 Auto, they will both stop any man with a few well placed rounds. I've carried 44 Mag in the past, but revolvers are not as easy to reload under stress, and I like having 7-8+ rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, an "American Derringer in 45ACP or 45LC" is not small, powerful nor capable.
Remember, a derringer style has only 2 shots...try to reload one of those in a hurry. A 6-shot .380 may provide for more opportunity...like four more shots in rapid succession...think multiple threat situation. I own a Davis Industries 9mm big-bore derringer and I can tell you its not a quick reload.

I think after considering all your guys' opinions, I'm going to grab me a 380 just to have and hell if I don't like it it'll become a range plinker or ill give it to my fiance. I think I'll also just try and get the higest capacity 40 single stack I can find. We'll see what feels best! Thanks a lot guys all your info has been an eye opener!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top