JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
Anybody aware of an incident over the weekend here? On Saturday I went out with some buddies, was going to stop here but it looked darn full, probably 8 vehicles. We drove on a ways up into the woods and found a more secluded area.
On the way back, probably around ~4:15 there were several ambulances and a firetruck at the pit.
Hope everyone was alright, stay safe out there

Haven't heard anything, but the thought of people from eight vehicles all opening up at once there is pretty scary, the imagination can run wild (lets hope it is not serious).
It is a location that is just too small to safely self-manage with a large number of people with different intentions, skill/training levels, safety attitudes, weapons etc. This being acknowledged, it is the main area in use in the area. There are little alternatives available and an underlying attitude of closing sites down rather than opening more up to ease overcrowding and safety concerns. No Wolf Creek sites on the Eastside hood. On the weekends at least, the standard fare will include variations of the following until dark:
Group one is there with a .22 rifle and a pistol, two uncontrollable pre-teen kids, an off-leash skittish poodle and the required pikinic basket. Mom is occupied with a toddler.
Group two. A pair of buddies are anxious to try out their AK's with some drum mag dumps.
Group three. This collection shows up pre-lubricated with lets say 4-5 people and several hand guns, rifles and shotguns. They are intent on taking ownership of the location upon arrival...and by virtue of their numbers, majority rules. Today, unrestricted multi-media fire is on the menu with some tandem "skeet" shooting, first timer "reactive" target shooting with AR/AK platforms, and a side-dish of heat treating Glock barrels.
Group four. Thats Ole-Joe. He just wants to do some function checks on his rifle after doing some work on it. He will give up in a couple hours and just go home.
Groups five and six. thats @Obie and later in the day me. We just slowed down long enough to see the "36 pit" frolics.... then just floored the gas pedal and ducked to get past downtown Beirut.

Anybody aware of an incident over the weekend here? On Saturday I went out with some buddies, was going to stop here but it looked darn full, probably 8 vehicles. We drove on a ways up into the woods and found a more secluded area.

On the way back, probably around ~4:15 there were several ambulances and a firetruck at the pit.

Hope everyone was alright, stay safe out there
I'm sure, if there was an incident at the pit, it would have been all over the news. So, I suspect the First Responders were simply staging up right there after an event somewhere else or waiting for another call.

I haven't heard anything from media or agency officials. No news is good news!

Went up there on the 11th. Must have been a dozen cars. Both my ARs were jamming.
Click. Nothing. Release the mag. Re insert. Rack bang. Click nothing. Did that about 10 times before it started functioning.
Guy next to me was shooting ,ptr 91 loud asf
About a dozen cars there I just wanted to get a nice spot in the shade. I've seen girls shooting rocks and had ricochet come back and hit.me hard several times .
One time this young kid was shooting a 22 straight at the ground at his feet before I flipped out again the ricochet slugged me in the stomach. Always take my scorpion there and my shockwave. Everyone wants to try it.

It's about the only spot I know and I go up there frequently. 35 mins from home

Haven't heard anything, but the thought of people from eight vehicles all opening up at once there is pretty scary, the imagination can run wild (lets hope it is not serious).
It is a location that is just too small to safely self-manage with a large number of people with different intentions, skill/training levels, safety attitudes, weapons etc. This being acknowledged, it is the main area in use in the area. There are little alternatives available and an underlying attitude of closing sites down rather than opening more up to ease overcrowding and safety concerns. No Wolf Creek sites on the Eastside hood. On the weekends at least, the standard fare will include variations of the following until dark:
Group one is there with a .22 rifle and a pistol, two uncontrollable pre-teen kids, an off-leash skittish poodle and the required pikinic basket. Mom is occupied with a toddler.
Group two. A pair of buddies are anxious to try out their AK's with some drum mag dumps.
Group three. This collection shows up pre-lubricated with lets say 4-5 people and several hand guns, rifles and shotguns. They are intent on taking ownership of the location upon arrival...and by virtue of their numbers, majority rules. Today, unrestricted multi-media fire is on the menu with some tandem "skeet" shooting, first timer "reactive" target shooting with AR/AK platforms, and a side-dish of heat treating Glock barrels.
Group four. Thats Ole-Joe. He just wants to do some function checks on his rifle after doing some work on it. He will give up in a couple hours and just go home.
Groups five and six. thats @Obie and later in the day me. We just slowed down long enough to see the "36 pit" frolics.... then just floored the gas pedal and ducked to get past downtown Beirut.
Sounds dangerous.
Feral kids, drunks and firearms.
That will get the place closed down.
Maybe we need some Eco-Blocks to define shooting lanes ?

I was at pit 36 about a month ago and 2 other guys were shooting about 12 feet away from my cousin and I. My cousin took out his AR9 pistol for the first time and one of the two other guys starts commenting on it - " isnt that too short? Thats too short. Is it registered?".... it had an sb arm brace on it and was clearly setup as a pistol. Just wish people would mind their own business.....

I was there on the 11th, no accidents as far as I know..
Got there at 11am and there was at least 8 cars there. Me and my buddy waited until noon for a spot to open. There were a lot of people and I could hear some richochets.. Maybe it's time to find a new spot...

Sounds dangerous.
Feral kids, drunks and firearms.
That will get the place closed down.
Maybe we need some Eco-Blocks to define shooting lanes ?
Last I heard was they are still using the pit as an equipment storage place every so often, so, they won't turn it over to the idea of shooting development. (But how many years has it been since we've seen any activity in there, other than shooting!)

I did, however, come up with a plan that includes Jersey barriers for firing lines, lane definition, berms in front of the hillside and a stairway access from the parking lot (so you don't walk up the road into a line of fire). I didn't, however, consider wheelchair access... yet, but that would be a very cool addition.

Still, no interest in making improvements for anything. Boy, this is frustrating! Especially when you know it could be so much better for safety and perhaps even a cleaner environment (it's so close to the river ya know)!

I am afraid that, making it an 'official' shooting development, may require an EPA study and would probably kill the project because of it's proximity to the river and the existing drainage configuration.

If nothing else, a simple simi-arched shaped Jersey barrier line would help improve safety because it would give obvious definition to the shooting line. If angled the right way, it would be pretty obvious which direction you would naturally shoot.

Seeing the agency do nothing makes it harder for the rest of us to see the crazy, stupid ways people shoot here, yet we know it could be safer, for even the newbees and Rambo wannabees. But, maybe they want something to happen so they can close it down?! (just my conspiracy theory!).

Wheelchair access, while it would be a nice addition, also sounds rather expensive to include, at the onset. The staircase (timbers?) would be a good first step. Perhaps an incremental approach would be more practical to achieve. A few things could be prioritized to address safety at first, since a major incident would almost surely close the place permanently. As one thing is addressed and then another, the sum total of the improvements would add to the overall value of the site (and create a stronger argument against closing it).
Of course, putting in those Jersey barriers would require bringing in an excavator for a day, which would probably mean the shooting lanes would end up extending deeper into the backstop area (creative engineering :rolleyes:).

This is not a perfect site for a range. It is too shallow for serious range shooting, and as mentioned above, is rather close to the highway. Yet it is the best thing going in the area for many folks by virtue of it's location...both geographically and the fact that it's the only location available year round without four wheel drive. While better locations could surely be made available, that seems unlikely. Hell, how long has Memaloose been closed now ?

I only go there on Mondays as it's my day off. One maybe two others usually.
Any more than that and see ya. I also get there at first light, much better chance of having the place to yourself for a few hours.

I went once on a Sunday, got there early as usual and by 9 I was hot footing over the side and sliding down to the parking lot. I couldn't get out fast enough.

That's not a shooting spot.
It's a First Aid training station. :eek: Training dummies are free too, they just show up by the car load if you want to practice a bit on real live bleeders. :p

It's a miracle someone hasn't been holed there.
I don't think I seen two muzzles pointed in the same direction, and people all over the place. Good grief.:mad:

Last Edited:
Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act | Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation

Since Trump signed this on May 10..... maybe some funds could be tapped for the poor pilgrims on the East side. o_O

Don't know where the 'May 20th signed by the President' came from. I see S.94 is postponed in the Senate (unless they haven't updated their website info (link below).

"Latest Action: Senate - 04/30/2019 Indefinitely postponed by Senate by Unanimous Consent."
S.94 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act
It still needs to go to the house and then to the President. I have a good feeling it will. Still, I want to read the whole text of the bill to get a better understanding.

I like the idea of cutting the required 25% down to 10% (of non-federal funds required for the project), and the opportunity to pay that percentage of 5 years. However our recent project, currently awaiting notice of approval or not, was 30% required by us (with non-federal funds), and no mention of any deferred options to pay over time. (We are applying for the same Pittman-Robertson Act Grant for the final Wolf Creek lanes improvements).

Perhaps this is a separate grant opportunity, that uses Pittman-Robertson funds, but is applied for under the 'Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act'. I hope to be able to decipher that as I read the bill.

I have a feeling that this Act, however, may be pertaining to a type of range that charges the user, therefore, would require the range to be manned, RSO's, employees and facilities, along with, all the environmental impact studies and compliance's required. It may not be applicable to what we are doing. Still, I'll give it a look over and see if we can make it work.

So far, I have not found any grant that is specific for simply improving existing sites. I find, as we attempt grant requests, there is some amount of confusion as to what kind of a 'range' we are doing (which I don't call a range, but rather am calling it 'improving existing dispersed shooting lanes'). They do like what we're doing and verbally support it so far, however, it seems they are not quite sure how to handle this kind of a grant request.

The big hurdle, however, is the USFS & BLM to give the okay to do ranges (dispersed lane improvements). Once we get over that obstacle, we can proceed to locate places, develop plans, apply for grants and raise funds to cover our required amount.

We'll see. Thanks for bringing this up, @ob1 !

Bill

Went up there on the 11th. Must have been a dozen cars. Both my ARs were jamming.
Click. Nothing. Release the mag. Re insert. Rack bang. Click nothing. Did that about 10 times before it started functioning.
Guy next to me was shooting ,ptr 91 loud asf
About a dozen cars there I just wanted to get a nice spot in the shade. I've seen girls shooting rocks and had ricochet come back and hit.me hard several times .
One time this young kid was shooting a 22 straight at the ground at his feet before I flipped out again the ricochet slugged me in the stomach. Always take my scorpion there and my shockwave. Everyone wants to try it.

It's about the only spot I know and I go up there frequently. 35 mins from home

Which guy were you? Me and my old man were next to him until about 11. He was having some issues at first with the gun.

NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS VOLUME 26, NUMBER 21

Saw it from the original ILA posting, I was unaware of the postponement since it mentions it being signed on the 10th.
Got it. Thanks for finding that. I must have been on an older link that showed it before May 10th.

Looking at the history, it came alive again and moved to the house where it was passed and on to the President for signing.

History
Feb 14, 2019
Introduced
Bills and resolutions are referred to committees which debate the bill before possibly sending it on to the whole chamber.

Apr 10, 2019
Identical Bill — Passed Senate (House next)
This activity took place on a related bill, S. 94, possibly in lieu of similar activity on H.R. 1222.

Apr 29, 2019
Passed House (Senate next)
The bill was passed in a vote in the House. It goes to the Senate next. The vote was by voice vote so no record of individual votes was made.

Apr 30, 2019
Passed Senate
The bill was passed by both chambers in identical form. It goes to the President next who may sign or veto the bill. The vote was by Unanimous Consent so no record of individual votes was made.

May 10, 2019
Enacted — Signed by the President
The President signed the bill and it became law.

This stands our to me that their definition does not require the range to be supervised (as it says 'may be') and it says it must be 'identified by a governmental agency for recreational shooting'.

To me, that applies to what we are doing and we should be able to qualify for P-R Act grant funding.

SEC 3.
Definition of public target range
In this Act, the term "public target range" means a specific location that—
(1) is identified by a governmental agency for recreational shooting;
(2) is open to the public;
(3) may be supervised; and
(4) may accommodate archery or rifle, pistol, or shotgun shooting.​

Where is this information from?
GovTrack automatically collects legislative information from a variety of governmental and non-governmental sources. This page is sourced primarily from Congress.gov, the official portal of the United States Congress. Congress.gov is generally updated one day after events occur, and so legislative activity shown here may be one day behind. Data via the congress project.

Here's the updated text: Text of H.R. 1222: Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act (Passed Congress version) - GovTrack.us

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.