JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a gate and I drove about a mile past it and found this place to shoot.
IMG_1610 (1).jpg

This is weird. Someone put a flag on Google maps that says closed, but, no date on when that was. The only gate I've ever heard of is the one at the Memaloose Rd bridge, off Hwy 224. Otherwise, I believe the only other access to the pit is from the Hillockburn Rd which becomes the NF45 Rd, and I've never heard of a gate anywhere along that road.

It is possible, however, that a bridge washed out and they had to close the NF45 for repairs, but, I haven't heard of such a thing.

It's a long and rough road, but the pit should be worth it. It offers good distance and high backstops.

The "OZ" Pit

There is a gate and I drove about a mile past it and found this place to shoot.
View attachment 713827
Sorry to say, jtoran, that doesn't look like a good place to shoot. No high earthen berm backstop and bunches of trees shot down. Shooting into trees, or stands of trees is not a backstop and you could get fined for shooting there. If a place does not have an earth backstop. (at least 8 ft high), we should not shoot there. It make all of us look really bad and causes closures to shooting. It's not only a natural resource protection kind of thing, it's also a public safety thing. A bullet could slip through the tree branches and who knows where it stops! "No rounds leave the range!"

Off to the left, if targets are placed low in front of that dirt backstop, might be okay. Except for the grass and other foliage that might be considered a fire hazard. And if a Law Enforcement officer came along, he may easily suspect you of shooting the trees (just because of the existing condition). So, I'd avoid a place like that.

I don't like to spoil anyone's fun, but gotta point out concerns when I see them. We need to save and respect our good places to shoot and that means we need to be careful on where/how we shoot.

All you need to know about shooting on public lands is on our website at Trash No Land .org .

Bill

This is weird. Someone put a flag on Google maps that says closed, but, no date on when that was. The only gate I've ever heard of is the one at the Memaloose Rd bridge, off Hwy 224. Otherwise, I believe the only other access to the pit is from the Hillockburn Rd which becomes the NF45 Rd, and I've never heard of a gate anywhere along that road.

It is possible, however, that a bridge washed out and they had to close the NF45 for repairs, but, I haven't heard of such a thing.

It's a long and rough road, but the pit should be worth it. It offers good distance and high backstops.

The "OZ" Pit
I intrested in checking out the OZ pit but, concerned it might be closed/closed off.

So, I was looking at checking Oz pit out this weekend but now it says "temporarily closed" on Google maps.

View attachment 726545
Notice, just below the 'Star' rating, it says School. Don't know why it says that, but, Google must think if it's a school, it's temporarily closed.

That is not a closure by USFS. Disregard and go have fun! If really in doubt, call the Mt Hood Ranger office in Sandy. They will give you the official word.

Aside from the fact that it is currently on fire, oz pit has been "closed" in that it is where they are staging equipment for replacing corrugated culvert all over the area. A large scrap pile is at the entrance to the pit.

Rand Hawkyns asked a new question about Oz Pit.
Might be a good idea to call USFS Mt Hood Corp Office. Problem is, I'm sure they're closed till Monday. Some areas are closed and others are open. Just logically thinking, I would think the NF45 would be open, but IDK nuttin.

USFS Mt Hood Headquarters Office in Sandy: (503) 668-1700

Might be a nice Sunday drive though!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.