JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
March 18, 2017, 9 AM - 12 Noon

36 Pit Cleanup, Mt Hood National Forest, Hwy 224 at the 36 Pit.

cleanupcover600.jpg

Sponsored by; Trash No Land, USFS Mt Hood National Forest, Clackamas County Dump Stoppers and Northwest Firearms.

Google Maps: Google Maps 11 miles East of Estacada on Hwy 224

GPS: 45.196422, -122.180072

BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch), outdoor clothes, boots & gloves.

BYVS! (Bring Your Volunteer Spirit!)

googleearth36pit400.jpg

This is a small area and won't take long to cleanup. It sees a lot of use and gets messy often. It's a place we need to keep in good condition.

Bring some toys for some fun & safe recreational shooting after the cleanup!

If you value the privilege of free recreation in Mt. Hood National Forest, join Trash No Land, Northwest Firearms, USFS and Clackamas County Dump Stoppers as we take a stand against trash on public land.

Together, we're going to make a difference!

20170312_144104.jpg I won't be able to make the March 18th cleanup but I pulled a bag of garbage with me today to do my part. I brought a large roll of black trash bags with me and handed them out to groups that were there. Hopefully it put a dent so You guys can spend more time shooting next weekend!

-DrCox

Went up there today and its still looking pretty good less then a week later. We where able to get another mostly full bag out though. Around 2-3pm there was two other groups out there on a Thursday. A couple older gentlemen who showed up the same time as us had brought a few tannerite type targets. I mentioned offhand to them that the forest service probably doesn't want them shooting those out there but didn't really feel comfortable getting assertive with them about law enforcement matters.
Both of them where definitely many years my senior and just out there to have fun, after talking to them they did ask us for one of our spare trash bags (all they had brought to shoot was the reactive targets so I assume they where going to pick whatever was left of those up and maybe even some of the other stuff out there).

I think the biggest thing that could have caused trouble was that they had driven there with the targets pre mixed which I believe is something that can incur the wrath of BATFE and DOT. I really wanted to say something about that part but I was worried that it would come off disrespectful and after souring the mood they would write it off as me being a dumb youngster and I wouldn't have helped anything.

At any rate I'm kinda kicking myself for not grabbing some brochures to hand out to other shooters at the clean up, does anyone know if there is a ranger station I can visit to grab some? I'd even print a few with my own printer if thats all there is.

Last Edited:
My GF and I just went shooting there today (4/16). Our first time at 36 Pit, found out about it in these forums.
It's already a disaster up there. Shells everywhere, garbage everywhere. Her 2 boys even found several unspent rounds!
I brought a handful of plastic bags for garbage, which didn't make a dent.
There were several people there. A lady asked if she could use some of out cans and promised to take them with her when they were done.
My girl and I thought, we should get a clean up party set up. Then I find out there was one less than a month ago!
If there's another scheduled, can somebody let me know?

My GF and I just went shooting there today (4/16). Our first time at 36 Pit, found out about it in these forums.
It's already a disaster up there. Shells everywhere, garbage everywhere. Her 2 boys even found several unspent rounds!
I brought a handful of plastic bags for garbage, which didn't make a dent.
There were several people there. A lady asked if she could use some of out cans and promised to take them with her when they were done.
My girl and I thought, we should get a clean up party set up. Then I find out there was one less than a month ago!
If there's another scheduled, can somebody let me know?
Thanks for cleaning up a bit. It's always a struggle. I'm out in Gresham as well so this is the place I use the most.

Cheers,
DrCox

I'll try to make it out there this weekend, gotta test out the rifle (Thursday through Saturday). I don't like crowds tho, more people is more chance of stupid imo... so let me know if any of you will be there so I don't make my way upriver instead. LoL

I don't like crowds tho, more people is more chance of stupid imo...

Exactly the reason I usually pass this one by in favor of the up river areas. Problem being that they are farther off the highway which means lots O'mud this time of year. So you are left with a choice between mud-o-rama or lotsa goobers.

A slight chance I might be in the area, but too early in the week to be sure.

I had been planning on going up today to test our newest rifle and get both our rifles zero'd but my better half wasn't feeling well so we stayed in bed watching "Soviet Storm-WW2 in the East" on Amazon prime.
We are going up some time this week but would like to figure out when its the quietest. I was thinking of trying to get up there early in the day on a weekday but do you all have suggestions on days it has seemed quietest ?

I'd say it's random. Passed by countless times heading to fishing spots. I've seen the place empty on bright sunny saturdays and packed mid-day to dusk on weekdays. I always called it the boones ferry shooting pit. LoL

I'll be trying out my new rifle too, probably Friday afternoon. Tho I know of a good spot off a decently grated road up there, unless I know we have some members there, I will pass it by for a more private location.

I had been trying to motivate my honey and (for lack of a better term) father in law to go out on Friday but I guess that is my (for lack of a better term) mother in law's birthday. So I think I'll try and get out there tomorrow morning/early afternoon, who knows maybe the rainy forecast will cut down on the goober population !

That's a good idea... I would be inclined, but it's the wifey's day and I have to squeeze in what I want around that. Apparently she can own days exclusively, I am learning.

Hah! Learning is an important part of any relationship =) I'm still learning stuff 11 years into mine.

As for 36 pit, we got up there around 9 and it indeed has seen some use but wasn't as bad as it was when we did the clean up. Only one other person up there was an Older gentleman shooting a 22. We didn't end up staying long but my honey and I pulled 3 bags out after running a couple mags through both the AR's. The worst parts about it all is people leaving their gall darned boxes and shooting up electronics. Oh well, gun day is always fun day and we will probably be heading up there again in a couple weeks.

The last time I was out there I noticed a Clackamas County p/u there picking up sealed trash bags from the parking area. Was that from guys like us doing clean ups of the area or from road crew pick ups ?
For those of us who don't have trucks, it would be nice if that was a routine thing, it would save having to haul junk back out on the back seat.

Last Edited:
I second that notion, can I do the clean up and will they pick up my bags? Can I drop them off anywhere along the way?

Moothulhu, you had a great day I bet. Gorgeous weather! Just got the Ruger, so I'll be out testing it soon!

Went up there today and its still looking pretty good less then a week later. We where able to get another mostly full bag out though. Around 2-3pm there was two other groups out there on a Thursday. A couple older gentlemen who showed up the same time as us had brought a few tannerite type targets. I mentioned offhand to them that the forest service probably doesn't want them shooting those out there but didn't really feel comfortable getting assertive with them about law enforcement matters.
Both of them where definitely many years my senior and just out there to have fun, after talking to them they did ask us for one of our spare trash bags (all they had brought to shoot was the reactive targets so I assume they where going to pick whatever was left of those up and maybe even some of the other stuff out there).

I think the biggest thing that could have caused trouble was that they had driven there with the targets pre mixed which I believe is something that can incur the wrath of BATFE and DOT. I really wanted to say something about that part but I was worried that it would come off disrespectful and after souring the mood they would write it off as me being a dumb youngster and I wouldn't have helped anything.

At any rate I'm kinda kicking myself for not grabbing some brochures to hand out to other shooters at the clean up, does anyone know if there is a ranger station I can visit to grab some? I'd even print a few with my own printer if thats all there is.

Brochures: If you mean this---
They are at all the Ranger Stations and available on the Mt Hood Forest Target Shooting webpage. Look for "Recreation Opportunity Guide" at the bottom

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5422894

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3810371.pdf

The last time I was out there I noticed a Clackamas County p/u there picking up sealed trash bags from the parking area. Was that from guys like us doing clean ups of the area or from road crew pick ups ?
For those of us who don't have trucks, it would be nice if that was a routine thing, it would save having to haul junk back out on the back seat.

That was from guys like you! There are no road crew pick ups and there are no employees paid to pick up trash from any agency.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.