JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
Interesting, always saw cars parked there didnt know it was legal to shoot that close to the main road. Might have to stop here if I don't see any cars when I am out there again.
....but then again seems to be a mess there all the time too and where I try to normally go like 30 min past that it usually pretty clean. Love options tho.

One thing about that place.....
If you go there planning to do a lot of shooting, go with a buddy. You have to hike up to the main shooting area from the parking area, which takes a few minutes each way, especially if you are humping targets and other assorted things. The last time I was there a month ago, there were two other groups present. When it was time to leave, it took me a couple trips up and down to get everything back to the car. When I got back up there to break down my target stands, one of the groups had grabbed them and already had moved them to their area and were blasting away on them, putting holes in my target frames !

It did tick me off a bit considering I spent an afternoon making the darn things, only to have them damaged by someone who didn't give a flip. A major ettiquette faux-pa to say the least. Point being that it's probably best to do relays with someone even for that short amount of time...
They'll grab anything that ain't nailed down ! o_O

Last Edited:
This has been the go to spot for me and the family lately as it extremely easy to access off the highway. Did notice someone had felled a tree across the "lane" to the right.

Ob1 is right though, definitely a bit of a hike with gear to find a spot and depending on who is shooting this requires going right behind another group as you go around the hill. Usually decently busy from what I've seen but early afternoon on the weekend you can usually find at least one spot.

March 18, 2017, 9 AM - 12 Noon

36 Pit Cleanup, Mt Hood National Forest, Hwy 224 at the 36 Pit.

View attachment 347010

Sponsored by; Trash No Land, USFS Mt Hood National Forest, Clackamas County Dump Stoppers and Northwest Firearms.

Google Maps: Google Maps 11 miles East of Estacada on Hwy 224

GPS: 45.196422, -122.180072

BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch), outdoor clothes, boots & gloves.

BYVS! (Bring Your Volunteer Spirit!)

View attachment 347011

This is a small area and won't take long to cleanup. It sees a lot of use and gets messy often. It's a place we need to keep in good condition.

Bring some toys for some fun & safe recreational shooting after the cleanup!

If you value the privilege of free recreation in Mt. Hood National Forest, join Trash No Land, Northwest Firearms, USFS and Clackamas County Dump Stoppers as we take a stand against trash on public land.

Together, we're going to make a difference!
Was there today was some trash and the sign had been chopped down Are there any clean ups planed for 2018 I picked up one bag of trash

last time i was there. a group of kids were shooting soda cans as targets and trashed the place. didn't stop them due to guns being involved. of course me and my buddy picked up all their trash.... this place is dangerous. people shooting in all directions. well at least that's what I've seen

Was there today was some trash and the sign had been chopped down Are there any clean ups planed for 2018 I picked up one bag of trash
The next one I have scheduled for Mt Hood Nat Forest is on Earth Day, April 22nd. I know, it's a Sunday. We haven't nailed down a location yet but the 36 Pit is always a place we want to do cleanups (always needed).

Next Mt Hood will be June 9th. I haven't announced them yet but you can see the schedule on our Events Calendar at Trash No Land.

Other than that, keep up the Random Acts of Cleanups (like what @DrCox did last year)! (and let me know about them!) It needs our involvement of routine maintenance and constant public awareness of rules and responsible conduct.

Thanks,

Bill

Went up to the 36 Pit yesterday, Sunday. Looked real bad. Sure glad the public can't see it from the roadway! Met 4 real nice folks there who may be joining us next Sunday.

The clean up is scheduled. We're meeting 2 miles past the 36 Pit and we need a crew do come back to the pit (other crews will head up to the Fish Creek area). Yesterday's pics are in the event thread.

CLEANUP MT HOOD 4-22-18

I went up the hill in the Fish Creek area also. Lots of shooting places and most were messy. I couldn't get down to the old landing strip because I only had a 2 wheel drive and didn't want to risk getting stuck in the mud, but, drove all the main and side roads up there. Most areas are messed up pretty good. Again, met several shooters up there who welcomed me to join them. When I asked each one if they were on NWFA, none of them were! I was rather surprised at that. Talked to about 10 people. So, I encouraged them to check it out.

I think the best place for a group shoot after the clean up will be the 36 Pit. I didn't see any good places for a large group up on the hill.

I know we just had a clean up here a little while ago but it got dirty real fast :(

Pulled out a little over 3 bags. Would have done more but my trash can at home it's maxed.

20180508_132653.jpg

I know. It's bad in there. A couple weeks ago, at the cleanup there were some people shooting there who would not stop or help with the cleanup. So, the crew got what they could and had to leave the rest

There wasn't any FS rep or LEO there to help convince them to stop.

I'm thinking of doing the next cleanup there on June 9th. (Haven't confirmed the location yet .

Thanks for helping out!

Bill

I found this forum looking for a place to fire my first pistol. I grew up shooting guns in rock quarries with my dad and friends, but being short-ish on time I didn't want to wonder around the hills for hours looking for good spots. Thank you!

This last saturday I was up bright and early to run the first rounds through my new VP40 and stopped by 36 pit. There was a truck there and a guy and a girl loading it up with trash when I pulled in at 7 am. Knowing it was still pretty early and not wanting to be intrusive to those who were up bright and early to clean up, I continued on to some GPS coordinates I was given by a friend another 50 minutes out.

I have never seen 36 pit, I like how close it is but I was a bit intimidated, I don't like the idea of shooting up the hillside. There is the excavator up there, I am assuming it is mid process with whatever is going on.

I ended up landing in another quarry that gave me 100+ yards to plink with my 30-30 after I burned through my .40.

I found this forum looking for a place to fire my first pistol. I grew up shooting guns in rock quarries with my dad and friends, but being short-ish on time I didn't want to wonder around the hills for hours looking for good spots. Thank you!

This last saturday I was up bright and early to run the first rounds through my new VP40 and stopped by 36 pit. There was a truck there and a guy and a girl loading it up with trash when I pulled in at 7 am. Knowing it was still pretty early and not wanting to be intrusive to those who were up bright and early to clean up, I continued on to some GPS coordinates I was given by a friend another 50 minutes out.

I have never seen 36 pit, I like how close it is but I was a bit intimidated, I don't like the idea of shooting up the hillside. There is the excavator up there, I am assuming it is mid process with whatever is going on.

I ended up landing in another quarry that gave me 100+ yards to plink with my 30-30 after I burned through my .40.
Good to go early if it's the 36 Pit. Glad to hear that someone was helping clean it up.

Welcome to the site!

Is this an open shooting site I was up there 2 weeks ago and there was an excavator sitting on top? Looking for places to shoot outdoors and not join a gun range I would prefer the great outdoors myself. Most places I went years ago up from promatory is closed to shooting now due to the OHV area. Im guessing places getting shut down because people trash the areas and leave all their trash behind instead of pack in pack out keep the outdoors nice for future generations.

Most places I went years ago up from promatory is closed to shooting now due to the OHV area.
I often suspect that's how they plan to control shooting on public land. Give the land away to less intrusive recreation groups. After all, do they ever give the recreational shooting sports anything at all? Only Oregon Dept of Forestry in Tillamook State Forest so far. Certainly not USFS or WA DNR.

Most of it, however, is the lack of an organized recreational shooting community. We are not at the regular or important meetings representing our kind of recreation and asking for places to shoot. We need to get involved with the process and start making some headway. Meanwhile, the OHV and Mtn Bikes get more trails, signage, bathrooms and attention. We get nothing because we're not involved.

spose ill take a garbage bag with me

Just don't stop and shoot at the first flat spot on the left. With the mess people have made there in the past I'd hope the sherrif would ticket people shooting there. Go all the way up near the end of pavement where the gravel road forks to the right. Top of the hill has 80 ish yards comfortably.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.