JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to buy one for woods camping and target shooting. I'm leaning toward a S&W 686 plus 6" barrel, or Ruger GP100 as a second choice.

What do you recommend and why?

Also, I'd take a look at a good buy on a nice safe queen if you have one laying around.

The ability to shoot any 38 special load and .357 magnum. And a spot check of 158 gr Hornady XTP loadings shows about 450 FPS and twice the energy at the muzzle. Better to have and not want then want and not have.

But that is totally unneeded. In fact, 357 Mag could be the most nonsensical round ever invented. The crazy recoil, muzzle flash and loudness (depriving the shooter of control, blocking night vision and causing hearing damage) - all of that just to propel a ~9.5mm bullet (and p**s off your neighbors at the range)? I can understand why the police may need to shoot 357 through cars, but it is simply a poor choice for "target shooting" which the OP said he planned to do.

But that is totally unneeded. In fact, 357 Mag could be the most nonsensical round ever invented. The crazy recoil, muzzle flash and loudness (depriving the shooter of control, blocking night vision and causing hearing damage) - all of that just to propel a ~9.5mm bullet (and p**s off your neighbors at the range)? I can understand why the police may need to shoot 357 through cars, but it is simply a poor choice for "target shooting" which the OP said he planned to do.

Crazy recoil? I can't tell the difference in loudness between .357 and .38 special. I can't take this reply seriously, honestly the .357 isn't some cannon of a hand gun and in the pistols he listed its a joy to shoot. I've even shot my fair share out of a J-frame and I am not deaf, blind and my wrists were not broken.

Furthermore your still going to have a muzzle flash out of a .38 and if it dark enough to be a hazard to your night vision any flash is going to be detrimental to your shooting ability.

The 357/38 same gun combo is the best set in the nest, followed by S&W 460/454/45LC.

That being said, I have the 686+ 6" you desire and can confirm it's a sweet shooter. The Ruger GP is nothing to scoff at either, just avoid that awful SP101 series.

I just recently got a 4" S&W Model 66-7 in .357, and when I took it to the range the first time, I started with a box of .38 special to get a feel for the trigger before moving up to the big dog .357 magnum. Loaded the first of those and got ready to have my wrists snapped off by the huge recoil... but that didn't happen. Did notice more flash, but the recoil wasn't that big, certainly nothing like I was expecting.

357 Mag could be the most nonsensical round ever invented.
Sorry I do not usually debate things I disagree with but the .38 Special/.357 Mag platform is one of the best, and most practical rounds EVER invented. From a reloading standpoint it is one of the best and has one of the widest 'ranges' of loading options of almost any round. It can be loaded down to low velocity for training. plinking and target shooting on up to bear - busting full bore magnum velocities. Some of the finest guns ever built are chambered in .357 and performs well in a rifle. Not may rounds have survived the test of time as the .38/.357, and when it comes to target shooting good .38 ammo out of a quality gun can produce some of the best handgun accuracy possible. I have 2" Taurus 605 that I regularly 'outshoot' friends with who are shooting their 'nines' - but in all fairness some of them own 'nines' that are not typically known for serious accuracy. TO answer the original question though while I am a 'purist' and a fan of Colt an S & W, Ruger can not be beat. I have owned a couple and WILL have a GP 100 eventually.

Why do you need a .357 magnum? What does it do for "woods camping and target shooting" that a .38spl will not?

Why do you feel the need to question and criticize?

I decided that I "needed" a .357 a couple of years ago after basically ignoring it for a couple of decades. I was seriously looking at both the S&W 686 and the GP100. I believe the Smith has a nicer finish than the Ruger, but both are great firearms. I went with the 686+ with a 4 inch barrel. Couldn't be happier.

Of course, after owning a 41 Mag for ever and having owned a 500 Mag for a couple of years, I don't feel the recoil of this 357 to be too much. However, the ability to stuff 38 Specials in it will chop the recoil down to nearly nothing.

I like the Ruger for price and durability. I look at the GP100 as a luxury edition of the security-six. The Security-Six was the Border Patrol's standard for years. I love the Smith's but I rarely carry mine as it's "Too nice" and I don't want wear to show. (Yes I know that is stupid, but I'm not a brainiac) I don't mean to say the Ruger isn't esthetically pleasing, because it is, but also since it is less expensive I am not as timid about everyday use.
Any .357 is better with a 4" barrel or longer. The .38+P also benefits from a 4+ inch barrel. It takes that much distance to more efficiently use the extra powder in those rounds. Shoot either one of them from a light weight snubbie and much of that extra powder is converted to more flash, noise, and recoil. (Yes the bullet is going to be traveling faster than a regular .38) Shorter barrels just use up some of the potential before maximum efficiency can be reached. Six inch barrels are really nice, the extra distance helping the ballistics and recoil both. (To me anyway)

If I was looking at getting a snubbie, I would agree with you. It's not for EDC, I have an LC9 for that. My Browning Buckmark will shoot very accurate. My FNS9 is a great tactical pistol. At the range I belong to, the report isn't an issue. At other ranges loud Magnum rounds and getting showered by your neighbors ejected brass goes with the territory. If that upsets people, they shoul drive out and fing some remote BLM to shoot at. Just the same, I solicited your input, and I thank you for being part of the discussion.

For punching holes in paper and for camping I would recommend a single action revolver because I believe that it will be able to perform all the functions that you require as well as save you some money on the initial purchase.

I saw a Blackhawk in the Classifieds for $400, which looks like a decent buy, My wife would definitely prefer that at 1/2 the price of a new 686 plus. But I'm not buying it for her. In 6 months it won't matter what I paid for it. We're not talking about a set of Snake eyes here. I'm thinking long term about getting something ill still be happy I bought in 20 years.

The Blackhawk is a great gun (as all Rugers) but I found the balance terrible on the 7" one I used to own. I was told the late model Blackhawks use the same frame as the Super hence the poor balance. I sold it for just that reason.

Since the OP didn't mention a budget I'm make a very, very big assumtion that money is no object.

That being said, here's a one word recomendation: Python.

It's easy. Ruger single actions and S&W double actions. Pythons are pretty and they are a fine gun, but a S&W has a much better action. That can be confirmed by all the champion and trick shooter's that Colt tried to swing their way to no avail. The fact that 2, possibly 3 S&W's with better action can be had for the price of a single Python ends the discussion for me. The only reason that I want a Python is because I have shot and collected .357's for many years and have never owned one.

The Ruger Blackhawk is so much better than the Colt SAA that it isn't funny. The SAA is fragile, and virtually all 1st Gen and most 2nd Gen are "problem" guns. The fact that 4 Blackhawk's can be had for the LEAST expensive SAA is ridiculous. Colt lives on name alone in the revolver world. The fact is that they have been far surpassed by other companies for 100 years in the case of double actions and 50 in the case of single actions.

I believe the .357 in revolver/lever combo is as versatile as any "survival" gun(s) out there. I may give the edge to the .44mag/spl., but even then just barely. If .41mag lever guns were more prevalent, that would take the cake for me.

Good luck. You are making a fine choice with the .357mag. I would never consider an opinion that considered the .357 "irrelevant" or "unnecessary". That is the most absurd stance I've heard in a while and every gun writer and authority worth his salt would agree.

I like the Ruger for price and durability. I look at the GP100 as a luxury edition of the security-six. The Security-Six was the Border Patrol's standard for years. I love the Smith's but I rarely carry mine as it's "Too nice" and I don't want wear to show. (Yes I know that is stupid, but I'm not a brainiac) I don't mean to say the Ruger isn't esthetically pleasing, because it is, but also since it is less expensive I am not as timid about everyday use.
Any .357 is better with a 4" barrel or longer. The .38+P also benefits from a 4+ inch barrel. It takes that much distance to more efficiently use the extra powder in those rounds. Shoot either one of them from a light weight snubbie and much of that extra powder is converted to more flash, noise, and recoil. (Yes the bullet is going to be traveling faster than a regular .38) Shorter barrels just use up some of the potential before maximum efficiency can be reached. Six inch barrels are really nice, the extra distance helping the ballistics and recoil both. (To me anyway)

From my research the Security Six is superior to the GP100. Some have claimed that the reason it was discontinued and the GP100 created as a replacement is cost. Ruger was spending too much on making it.
I don't have a GP100 so I cannot compare, but I do have a Security Six in ss and think very highly of it. The only thing I did not like was the original grips (too small) so replacements are required (but cheap).

I also own a Python and S&W 19, and if I could only keep one 38/357 it would be the Ruger

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top