JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I have a Taurus 605B2 Protector Poly that is my main handgun I use. I love it. I mostly practice with 38's using 3.2gr. of Bullseye under a 125gr. plated (cheap) bullet. But I also go out to the rock pit and shoot factory 158gr. SWC .357s, and love it! They roar out of that gun and give me a nice cathartic release of stress and anxiety that generates a sense of peace of well being one can only find when shooting very hot rounds from a little gun. Now it's time to reload those bad boys. I'm trying to decide what powder to use. My concern is, naturally, with a 2" barrel and the gap from cylinder to forcing cone, the numbers in all of the loading data are pretty much useless, as they are all base on the old-school .357's with 6" to 10" barrels and usually are fired from a universal receiver or TC contenders, so no gap to jump when "they" do their testing. It would be nice to actually load to get the most out of my 2" gun. I've seen on youtube guys whom compared the published data on the factory loads to real world shooting of a 2", and they average about a 30% reduction in velocity. I'm wondering if that would hold true for load data as well? Slower powders like 296, H110, 300-MP, and 4227 might not be as "fantastic" as the load data says they are. I know from reading up that Litl'Gun eats your forcing cone and I should stay away from it. I plan on using the Hornady 158gr. FP/XTP bullets that I already have. Anyway, any help of direction in this would be appreciated. I'm looking for best power and accuracy while being kind to my poly gun.

Peace,

Rodney

In my experience - the powders with the highest velocities out of manual will have the highest velocities out of your gun.

Slower powders will make more flash and noise than the quicker powders.

I've used 700x, HS-6, Unique and 2400 and shot variations of them out of a ruger sp101. Although I got rid of the sp101, I've mostly settled on a Unique load because the flash and boom from the 2400 is ridiculous, even though it gets something like 150 fps better velocity.

I have the same gun in SS and after only a couple cursory rounds of .357 Mag I have toned it down to some accurate .38 Special. I would much rather shoot for accuracy and comfort than for a nice cathartic release of stress and anxiety. I can get the same effect with .38 and at less cost with greater accuracy. But then I shoot several hundred rounds each weekend (sometimes on my way home from work) so I prefer the ease of the lighter loads.

I use 6.2 - 7.1 grains of Unique with a 158 grain XTP in my S&W M&P 340 1-7/8" snub nose revolver. I get 950 - 990 fps with this range of loadings having about the same felt recoil for me. More often than not I load 6.5 grains of Unique and get about 975 fps.

I shopped around and settled on old reliable w296. It was inexpensive, only $19 at bimart. No onee had 300-md. I went with 296 mainly because I have plenty of bullseye for light loading and .38spl loadng. H110 is the same powder, but I like the winchester label and their corporate vision statement better. I could 't even find 300-md, and they want $30 for it! Not worth it for only 50fps more umph.

Thanks for your input all.

Hmmm.... imr4895.... I womder if it will catch the polymore on fire? I could load it by volume using the old burn rate and h2o tables in my old NRA book. .357 is in there.

I use Blue Dot in my 357 loads, but I shoot a 4" gun. If I was shooting thru a shorter barrel I'd probably go with Unique. I also LOVE H110 and W296!

There are a lot of newer powders out there. But, a lot like some of the new cartridges, they do the same thing differently.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top