JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently worked up a load that shoots great out of my bolt gun (42 gr. IMR 3031 w/ 168 SMK using federal brass). This load is pretty hot and I am wondering if it is safe to shoot out of a Noveski N6 (AR-10 type).

Also, as I am new to reloading and long range shooting, is 175 gr. SMK or 168 gr. SMK better???

Thank you for your help:)

That load should be fine in your Noveske, it is still a grain below max in most of the manuals I looked at. Watch for pressure signs on your brass.

Most of the people I know using the .308 to shoot long range actually use the 155 grain palma type VLD bullet. However I am still using 168's with fine success.

Be cautious running loads too hot in a semi auto. I roached the bolt carrier group on my Armalite AR-10 with what sounds like a similar charge you are describing. My sons Rem 700 was just fine with the same round.
I shoot 200yds no problem with 168gr Amax. Some of the guys I talk with say the extra grain weight helps with over 300yd shots. I'm not good enough to shoot that long. Too old to see the target that far. Lol

Be cautious running loads too hot in a semi auto. I roached the bolt carrier group on my Armalite AR-10 with what sounds like a similar charge you are describing. My sons Rem 700 was just fine with the same round.
I shoot 200yds no problem with 168gr Amax. Some of the guys I talk with say the extra grain weight helps with over 300yd shots. I'm not good enough to shoot that long. Too old to see the target that far. Lol

Absolutely use caution with high pressure loads in gas operated firearms, regardless of it being an AR platform, M-1, M-1A, or M-14.

Operating rods and bolt carriers take a huge beating and sometimes give up by either bending or breaking.

For the AR-15 or AR-10, here's a good solution though. An adjustable gas block that can regulate the rate of gas flow and limit the "SLAM" of the BCG.

AR-15/AR10 FRONT ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK | Brownells

For those that don't want to, or can't change the gas block, a tube with an adjustable metering port in it may also do the job. Use the stock gas block and have a screw adjustment for gas flow.

<broken link removed>

Start with a minimal amount of gas flow and open the port just enough for the BCG to cycle fully and lock back on an empty mag.

BTW, these will solve a lot of "bounce" problems that some AR-15's display when the load is just a little too warm but not enough to cause damage. If you have regular failures to lock the BCG back on an empty mag this could well be the problem.

The BC on the 175's is higher and it is a superior bullet for longer ranges. I ran the 168's for years in the local precision rifle competitions and did fine with them, but we didn't shoot past 450 yards.

I've since switched to .260 Rem, but if I were still shooting a .308, I'd run the 175's for sure.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews