JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi folks - I have reloaded a lot of .223 and .300BO. I got some once fired .308 and what a difference when resizing! These are REALLY tough in comparison to what I have loaded before. I am using full size RCBS dies, and also have some RCBS short case dies and having difficulty in getting them to fit my Sheridan gage. Is this normal folks????

The 308 case is larger so it will take more effort. I'm assuming you're working with the .308 Win/7.62 Nato. What type of lube are you using? What kind of press? There could be quite a few different reasons and not enough info to work with.

I'm thinking you meant "small base" and not "short case" dies. You're compressing the case even more so that will add to the difficulty. Whether small base dies are really needed is debatable. I never used small base dies until I bought a match grade rifle and it absolutely needed it.

If it is 7.62 Nato brass, it tends to be thicker than the civilian made .308 Win. If it was fired out a machine gun, then it's expanded a lot more than normal and that will add to the difficulty.

Lots of possibilities and it would help to have more details.

More effort and if it's not going into case gauge you don't have the die down far enough. Most if not all large calibers my die kisses the shell plate.

I'd say you could call me but I have company coming over shortly and we could walk through some steps over the phone.

Probably because .308 sucks. You need to ditch that awful caliber and get a 6.5 BleedMore. It does everything better, it even reloads itself! Haven't you seen all the awesome reviews? Every operator, sniper, and YouTube huntmaster has made the switch! No wonder you're able to find brass.
:s0140:

Probably because .308 sucks. You need to ditch that awful caliber and get a 6.5 BleedMore. It does everything better, it even reloads itself! Haven't you seen all the awesome reviews? Every operator, sniper, and YouTube huntmaster has made the switch! No wonder you're able to find brass.
Don't forget the CBD oil. Lube your bore with that and you'll hit the X every time.

I had same issues with resizing 308 brass. Even after full length resizing, 90% would not pass case gauge inspection.

Had to get a 308 small base die set, which requires more effort to resize cases. Only then did they pass the case gauge test. Out of roughly 250 cases, still had about 10 that would not go into case gauge fully. OAL was not an issue, everything was in spec, it was just that final part of the brass above the rim refused to size correctly.

Spray lube would result in a stuck case using the SBD set. I had to use my Lee case sizing lube to prevent any stuck case issues.

Might have been fired out of machine gun.

For some once fired military brass, I took the expander plug out and sized case then rotated case and sized again, (Sized twice) then expanded case mouth separately.

Have sworn off Mil brass a couple times due to hassle, but can't resist recycling brass to save the Earth.

Also have found it is a good idea to use same brand shell holder as dies, might be slight difference between manufactures.

These are all marked .308 not 7.62. I am using a Lyman turret press. Lubing with Lee lube, finger applied so far. Normally that makes a tough round go thru a die like green grass thru a goose, but not with these. RCBS full length dies, RCBS "small base" also. Got my dies screwed down to the nervous point. Feels like the base wants to rip off trying to come out of the dies. Nervous Nelly I guess. Will tighten up more and keep trying. Cases are showing really shiny the last 1/4" coming out of the die. A sign of some real pressure at the bases.

Any pics of the brass?

These are all marked .308 not 7.62. I am using a Lyman turret press. Lubing with Lee lube, finger applied so far. Normally that makes a tough round go thru a die like green grass thru a goose, but not with these. RCBS full length dies, RCBS "small base" also. Got my dies screwed down to the nervous point. Feels like the base wants to rip off trying to come out of the dies. Nervous Nelly I guess. Will tighten up more and keep trying. Cases are showing really shiny the last 1/4" coming out of the die. A sign of some real pressure at the bases.

.308 is one of my favorite rounds. It is also inherently very accurate. I have loaded many thousands of rounds and continue to do so. I find it much easier to reload than 5.56. My go to load is a 168g NCC with a MV of 2625 fps. Slower is more accurate. I load from 110gr to 220gr depending on mission objectives.
You did not mention what kind of case lube you use? I roll the polished shells on a pad with RCBS case lube, for best results, when resizing. Also, I use a small base Full Length die on once fired range pickups. Once they are fireformed, all I have to do is neck resizing. when neck resizing all I need is spray lube . I usually get up to seven reloads with RP brass, And up to 30 reloads with Nosler brass (Better than Lapua). I do anneal the Nosler after every sixth reload. I do gauge all brass after sizing using Hornady gauges.

Hi folks - I have reloaded a lot of .223 and .300BO. I got some once fired .308 and what a difference when resizing! These are REALLY tough in comparison to what I have loaded before. I am using full size RCBS dies, and also have some RCBS short case dies and having difficulty in getting them to fit my Sheridan gage. Is this normal folks????
Unless you know for certain the brass is once fired, and in a firearm in good condition, There should not be excessive case bulge near the head. This would indicate the rounds were fired in a very worn or deflective breech. Or possibly reloads that were overcharged.

I've been trying to think of a time when any of my .308 brass took so much to resize. I've sized MG brass too.

I don't know Dyjital [sic - sorry] But listen to him. A short call will answer numerous issues and likely a new friend. I went through this and someone will to help by phone or video chat with his experience will be invaluable. I'll never understand the guys who troll the threads and fill them with their own moral depravity. Good luck. BTW .308 brass is everywhere and will continue to be for a long, long time. And the new ARC and 6.8 are both showing signs of giving the 6.5CM and any other 6 a run for top dog.

I've reloaded a lot of 30-06 ammo. Ya think it'd be similar to the '08, right?
One of the things that's easy to overlook and can be a nag is inside lubrication on the case neck. It'll drag pretty hard on the expander ball on the way out of the die. Unlike some recommendations, I've also used a lot of spray lubes. Doing so makes it easy to make a pass with the lube from the open end of the case, getting a little inside of the neck. (I always retumble cases to remove lube)
The other thing about spray lube, you MUST wait for it to cure before resizing the case. If you don't, plan on a stuck case. And another, and so on...

To me, the shiny area at the base of the case and the general effort required indicates that a little more lube could be helpful. I'd certainly apply any extra lube towards the base, but that stuff likes to creep and dent cases...

I do have one set of Hornady Dies for a 7mm-08 that I had to modify to get rounds to chamber. Matching shell holder to die may come in to play here as well because I was using an RCBS shell holder. I had to slightly shorten the resizing die to push the shoulder back far enough.

I have reloaded 308 for many years. Type of case lube makes a big difference. In the olden days RCBS
lube pad was the only method. Having used Hornady and Dillon lube I much prefer the home made lanolin
and alcohol. Much easier to clean off. To clean off the lube after sizing mist with water and roll in a bath towel.
As others said you have to let it dry a few minutes. https://ultimatereloader.com/2017/05/09/make-your-own-case-lube/
I am going to have to dump this 308 Savage now.:(:( Maybe I can get $100 for it???I didn't know 6.5 BleedMore RULES.:D
5 shot groups at 100 yards
1612617089998.png

I've reloaded a lot of 30-06 ammo. Ya think it'd be similar to the '08, right?
One of the things that's easy to overlook and can be a nag is inside lubrication on the case neck. It'll drag pretty hard on the expander ball on the way out of the die. Unlike some recommendations, I've also used a lot of spray lubes. Doing so makes it easy to make a pass with the lube from the open end of the case, getting a little inside of the neck. (I always retumble cases to remove lube)
The other thing about spray lube, you MUST wait for it to cure before resizing the case. If you don't, plan on a stuck case. And another, and so on...

To me, the shiny area at the base of the case and the general effort required indicates that a little more lube could be helpful. I'd certainly apply any extra lube towards the base, but that stuff likes to creep and dent cases...

I do have one set of Hornady Dies for a 7mm-08 that I had to modify to get rounds to chamber. Matching shell holder to die may come in to play here as well because I was using an RCBS shell holder. I had to slightly shorten the resizing die to push the shoulder back far enough.
I was thinking it could be lack of lube at the case mouth also.
If it's right at the beginning of the downstroke, it could be that the decapping pin is wedged into the flash hole. I had some brass, I forget which make, that about 5% of them had teeny tiny flash holes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top