JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you have?

• Total voters
I voted other on the poll.
My "other" would be the M1A/M14.

It's what I started out with in the Army and carried for my first 2 tours over seas. Was very reliable and had good accuracy. Have a Springfield M1A Loaded now. It's more accurate than I am and goes bang every time.

I voted other on the poll.
My "other" would be the M1A/M14.

It's what I started out with in the Army and carried for my first 2 tours over seas. Was very reliable and had good accuracy. Have a Springfield M1A Loaded now. It's more accurate than I am and goes bang every time.
You can change your poll vote to the M1A, Camel edited in into poll.

And the AR10, which got it all going, is not even on the radar.
Looking specifically on this one for gas-piston driven platforms. AR10s are highly subjective depending on the build. One AR10 can be completely different from the next.

Feel free to state your case, though. As long as it would help someone make an important decision as to what's right for them.

Looking specifically on this one for gas-piston driven platforms. AR10s are highly subjective depending on the build. One AR10 can be completely different from the next.

Feel free to state your case, though. As long as it would help someone make an important decision as to what's right for them.
Should have been clearer. Armalite. I suppose the Brownell's re-pop might qualify.

Personally I went with the Adams AR308. It's barely heavier than an AR-15 nd in fact with a 3x9 scope and a full mag is still lighter than a bare FAL or M1A. Ergos are the same as my AR's and it's 85% AR parts compliant unlike other AR10 variants. As an AR design the battery of arms is the same. While I'm a gun person, come SHTF my plans include others that aren't so standardization is pretty important. Gunsmithing/repairs/cleaning/maintenance are also the same as my AR's. In short I wanted something that I could rely on that would compliment my existing AR's so for me it was the best choice.

No, it's not battle tested like many of the other choices but I'd still trust my life to it. The battle proven are all excellent especially if you plan on open sights. Where they fall short (IMO the ONLY place they do outside of weight) is that if you do want optics then you need adapters as the rifles just weren't designed for them. I've just never been able to trust an optics mount that screws into the side of the receiver - just too duct tapey for me.

If it wasn't for my reasoning above then I'd go with the FAL or the Galil.

It's been mentioned above, but all firearms are individuals, so even something like a FAL needs extensive familiarization use by anyone who wants to trust their life to it.

Last Edited:
It's been mentioned above, but all firearms are individuals, so even something like a FAL needs extensive familiarization use by anyone who wants to trust their life to it.
Good point. If you know your way around a FAL, you're going to be more comfortable grabbing that in a bug out situation regardless of the objective usefulness of the rifle itself. A lot of people are going to feel more comfortable with an AR10 because of their experience with an AR15 depsite the lack of mil-specs. Rear charging handle, bolt release, mag release, safety are all in places that seem familiar.

Feedback on. 308 rifles.
Most posting in this thread posted in that one as well.

Feedback on. 308 rifles.
Most posting in this thread posted in that one as well.
Different purpose. That thread is tell me why I should get a .308 semi auto rifle at all. Purpose of this thread is which one I should get and why. Not saying that information isn't in there somewhere but some people aren't going to want to dig through several pages of banter to get to the facts.

Hoping this thread doesn't turn into something like that. :s0153:

Another Ruger SR762 vote here.

I originally purchased an SR556 and was thrilled with it after the first range session. My shooting companion, after putting a couple of magazines through it, said "I love it when a firearms manufacturer does things right and builds a great weapon. I also like folks who recognize a well made firearm."

So when I went looking for an AR pattern 7.62/.308 I immediately thought of the SR762.

I realized that both of my adjustable gas piston Rugers are:
  • Accurate
  • Reliable
  • Easy to use and maintain
  • They aren't finicky and they cycle almost any .ammo - I'd say all but I haven't tried it all
  • They can handle almost any AR pattern magazine - I'd say all but I haven't tried them all
  • The SR762 is lighter than an M1A
  • Easy to add accessories such as optics, grips, buffer upgrades, stocks, slings, etc...
I wanted the distance, power and accuracy that a large capacity 7.62 x 51 provides which is why I chose my SR762.

I have the SIG 716 Patrol. Bought new on a good deal and only shot it 50 times. Shot to test function and it runs well. Kicks me around but I only aim to shoot it with open sights for now. Forgot about the gas functions, will have to remember to do try it out next range visit. Heavy to me but I do not know how heavy compared to others. May buy another compatible upper in different calibre.

Bring on the Bren 2 in 7.62 Nato!!

Different purpose. That thread is tell me why I should get a .308 semi auto rifle at all. Purpose of this thread is which one I should get and why. Not saying that information isn't in there somewhere but some people aren't going to want to dig through several pages of banter to get to the facts.

Hoping this thread doesn't turn into something like that. :s0153:
I was going to get the Galil Ace till it was brought up in that thread. I think it was that thread anyway.
The removable top cover killed it for me.
I wanted another .308 to replace the Fals I had and stuck with the piston gun.
No real reason really, just cause I wanted to.
After having and shooting the Ruger a bit I still feel it was a good choice.
I got one of the later produced ones with the better Magpul stock and the Ruger 2 stage trigger.

The only things I changed on it was a Raptor charging handle, LuthAR MBA1 stock and the Flash hider for a Precision Armament EFAB muzzle thingy.
Not exactly petite either at over 14 lbs fully dressed, padded Vickers Blue Force 2 point sling helps with that.

I'm going shooting this weekend and am bringing rifles if you'd like to test drive it.
It's my daughters bday Sunday so I'm taking her out. You're welcome to tag along if you want.
wneURK3l.jpg

I was going to get the Galil Ace till it was brought up in that thread. I think it was that thread anyway.
The removable top cover killed it for me.
I wanted another .308 to replace the Fals I had and stuck with the piston gun.
No real reason really, just cause I wanted to.
After having and shooting the Ruger a bit I still feel it was a good choice.
I got one of the later produced ones with the better Magpul stock and the Ruger 2 stage trigger.

The only things I changed on it was a Raptor charging handle, LuthAR MBA1 stock and the Flash hider for a Precision Armament EFAB muzzle thingy.
Not exactly petite either at over 14 lbs fully dressed, padded Vickers Blue Force 2 point sling helps with that.

I'm going shooting this weekend and am bringing rifles if you'd like to test drive it.
It's my daughters bday Sunday so I'm taking her out. You're welcome to tag along if you want.
View attachment 629425
That's awesome and thanks for the offer. I'll let ya know on that. Basically since I got my Sandman suppressor, I've been shooting on my 5.56 but it is a 7.62 caliber can and based on how much I love shooting on the AR, I'm wanting to put it on a correct host.

Only reason I've leaned piston is because I've noticed my AR is getting dirtier much quicker with the can on it and I've always wanted a piston (other than my AKM). I never considered the Ruger. Did they drop the piston from their line?

Ruger SR 762. As others have mentioned. I have never had a jam ( maybe after adjustment of piston), light, accurate and says Ruger. They stand behind things well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top