JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you have?

• Total voters
Reactions
Mods feel free to edit if there is a thread already dedicated to these. So far, I had not seen one. Just looking to get a thread going to collect information. I will edit the original post as we go along with pertinent info so as to help anyone debating any of these options.

*Not looking to get into a debate about piston vs. DI... That debate has gone on forever. Just looking to get some opinions about popular piston designs*

Looking for strengths and weaknesses on current production rifles. Right out of the box. What did you like/didn't like?

1) PWS MK216

2) POF Edge .308

3) Adams Arms P2

4) Sig 716

5) HK 762A1

6) DSA (FAL)

7) IWI Galil Ace

8) LWRC REPR MK2

9) FN SCAR

10) SPRINGFIELD M1A

11) Other (please list and describe)

Just a few criteria in analyzing these:

• Ability to run suppressed/not suppressed
  • Weight
  • Recoil mitigation
  • Ergonomics
  • Ease of field service
  • Overall durability
  • Ability to run attachments
  • Balance
  • Being able to run dirty/fouled
  • Ammo pickiness
  • Availability of replacement parts
  • Price

Last Edited:
Generally speaking, I feel like if an HK can be had, that's the brand that one should get. Other than their p30 having a reputation for an abysmal trigger, I hear not a bad word about them. But you gotta pay for it. Sig also seems to make a pretty great line of rifles but again.... You gotta pay for that. I'm getting the feeling of a theme.....

Generally speaking, I feel like if an HK can be had, that's the brand that one should get. Other than their p30 having a reputation for an abysmal trigger, I hear not a bad word about them. But you gotta pay for it. Sig also seems to make a pretty great line of rifles but again.... You gotta pay for that. I'm getting the feeling of a theme.....
Definitely gotta pay for that HK. The Sig is at least within range of some of the others concerning price. I know that their MPX and MCX lines have served people well. I'm curious if there are any drawbacks to their 716 rifle that would make someone choose another rifle? :s0078:

If it were me, I'd stay a long ways from Sig and AA.

Can't help but notice you left out the SCAR HEAVY.

That, FAL and HK would be at the top.

I hate the term "battle rifle". Remind me of all the Colt fan boys that say only Colt AR's are "battle rifles" . No offense OP.

:rolleyes:

I hate the term "battle rifle". Remind me of all the Colt fan boys that say only Colt AR's are "battle rifles" . No offense OP.

Only rifles that have been proven in battle deserve the term. Using battle rifle in that context separates the wheat from the chaff.

Have a Sig 716 & a Ruger 762.

Like them both, with more leanings towards the Ruger, just personal preference. Both run very well.

Kinda bummed Ruger dropped there piston guns, will buy another 762 if opportunity arises & price is rite.

Having a Life time of experience with many of those listed, ( actual Fighting Rifles, Not New build AR types) I can tell you hands down, With out question, I would ONLY consider ether the FAL or the M1A ( with reservations on the M1) and No other, Period!
DS Arms have had mixed over the years, but have really stepped it up the last 6 or 7 years and are once again building a top shelf FAL, and if you do your homework, you can get exactly the rifle that YOU want/need and that;s something the others are going to be hard pressed to equal!

On the M1A, as long as you do not intend to install an optic, should be fine, but once you start messing with magnifiers, your always going to fight the mounting system, mostly with frustrating results!

The HK/CETME have a mixed bag of good and not so good, that wonderful roller locking bolt is both it's greatest strength, and it's biggest down fall, you get a good one that runs right, you really got something, you get a bad one, your screwed chasing phantoms forever!
The AR, based builds are also going to be mixed bag, some do ok, some not so much, I wouldn't discount one, but I would build one my self using known quality parts in a well proven configuration!

The big Israeli would Rock IF you get a good contract build one or a well built kit, and can supply a good batch of mags to feed it!

The rest I would walk away from!
One of the biggest issue's your going to have to make peace with is most of the good fighting rifles are rebuilt Kits or some form of modified variant of the original, and you will have issues getting good ones and getting/keeping them running right!
If you intend to use one as an actual fighting rifle, that's going to be a biggy, so choose carefully!

Didn't realize you were including roller blocks in your consideration list.

If so, PTR91's are pretty darned decent.

Have a bunch, various models with no problems.

There primary downside, for us, is they are heavy. Upsides are they run like tanks & inexpensive magazines (both HK & CETME). Some have experienced issues using CETME magazines with PTR91's. We haven't.

Me too... it's a colloquial term that fits a certain profile of rifle meant for intermediate range engagement. I guess I could have written that all out but wanted to make the title more succinct.

Only rifles that have been proven in battle deserve the term. Using battle rifle in that context separates the wheat from the chaff.

True, but we ain't talking about "military grade" weapons are we? :eek:

If we are, I sure hope there aren't any anti's lurking around.

If it were me, I'd stay a long ways from Sig and AA.

Can't help but notice you left out the SCAR HEAVY.

That, FAL and HK would be at the top.
I have no clue how I left the SCAR out. I was just thinking of it as I posted it. It's now added

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top