JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm with Mister Ruby. Absolutely no truth to the statement, "They aren't supposed to run at the same pressures." They certainly ARE. The reason the SAAMI specs for .30-06 show lower pressure is because of the older, weaker guns that still exist. There is NO reason the '06 should not be loaded to equal pressures as a .308 in a modern, strong gun.

The .30-06 will shine over the .308 when the shooter chooses heavy bullets for the caliber (180, 200g). Loading these bullets in the .308 case robs case capacity, since they need to be seated to a depth which the (usually encountered) short actions can digest.

All this from a guy who is NOT a big fan of the '06.

To everyone,
Thanks! Some of the questions posed are the very same I have myself. I understand the 308 is a cheaper round, and by most standards, a damn good round. It seems logical by just the numbers that the 30-06 is better in way of performance. This is what led me to ask, why do people prefer the 308 (bar the cost factor)?

I have a 30-06, Savage 110. I picked it up a few years ago and have yet to put a single round through it. Actually, the nearest I use is my Mosin 7.62x54R.

I am not bad mouthing either the 30-06 or 308 - to me they are two of the very best general purpose catridges. I like both just for different reasons. I have one of each and someday will have more. I think for deer a lighter cartrdige might do just as well without the recoil and with elk a heavier cartridge might do better due to more energy. Just my opinion.

James Ruby

I like them Both!!!!!!

Really toss up IMO, I killed my forst white tail at age 15 with a 30-06 100 yards on dead run, went inthe size of my pinky came out the size of my fist.

But I know have a Savage Axis XP .308 have not killed anything with it, but is is the exact same as NATO 7.62 x .51, which is what the common M-60 machine gun is, and I shot up a few vehicle at 300 meters with it so I have no worries.

Another reason is you can M80 or XM80 rounds if search wide far which is the pentrator for the 7.62 x .51 NATO, you can also lots of surplus rounds which are fine rounds and at a lower price, for throwing down range if need be.

I also have an M-4 in the 7.62 x .51 so it is a round commonality, but if I come across a 30-06 at a good price i will pick it up and put in the closet, you never know.

There is one thing a 30-06 can do that no .308 will ever be able to do. And that is with absolutely NO machine work or perminate damage any 30-06 can chamber .308 rounds. With nothing more then a $25.00 chamber adapter.

CHAMBER ADAPTERS

So granted you will have a super tiny drop in accuracy due to the longer travel before contact with the rifling. But I have seen 1MOA groups shot with factory and Mil surp .308 in a 30-06 using an adapter like the one in the link.

30.06, in my experiance with it, it's a great round, fun to shoot can find it in just about any store. Versatile. Mainly though....i've seen many deer drop dead in heir tracks from a 30.06. Awesome!

Nor have I. I just don't judge a round by if an army uses it.
Still, you do have a point on it must be worth something if it is such a popular round.

Right, I have owned a 30-06 Garand and still have 2.5 cases of black tip for the caliber, nothing against it, but if it comes down to the cutting floor 7.62 NATO in the USA will be where it's at

There is one thing a 30-06 can do that no .308 will ever be able to do. And that is with absolutely NO machine work or perminate damage any 30-06 can chamber .308 rounds. With nothing more then a $25.00 chamber adapter.

CHAMBER ADAPTERS

So granted you will have a super tiny drop in accuracy due to the longer travel before contact with the rifling. But I have seen 1MOA groups shot with factory and Mil surp .308 in a 30-06 using an adapter like the one in the link.

Pretty cool option, but it seems semi permanent. I don't know how you'd get the thing out once it was in. There would be no way to get a purchase enough to knock if free. Would an interesting addition to have, just in case.

Actually its more like a Chevy Vs Chevy thing just one has bigger tires

And a bigger engine and gas tank.

Pretty cool option, but it seems semi permanent. I don't know how you'd get the thing out once it was in. There would be no way to get a purchase enough to knock if free. Would an interesting addition to have, just in case.

They come right out with a broken shell extractor. And are reusable. I have one along with the shell extractor and a small tube of non perminate loctite. In a little canvas bag in the cleaning rod hole in my M1 Garand.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top