JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you want to use it for hunting go with the 06 if you use it for targets and you reload use the 06. if you dont reload you should its cheaper and it makes these rounds shine just to let you know i use the 3006 its the only rifle you need unless your in Africa or your hunting heavy brown bears the 06 would take a brown but id prefer a 338 or 375 HH. but i cant afford ether Africa or Alaska so the 06 all the way good luck on your choice

for all around hunting 30.06

For target practice .308 because some under $10 a box stuff can still be found if it was the same price as 30.06 then 30.06

There's a better selection of gas operated semi auto rifles in 7.62/.308 than in 30.06, so if you are restricted to one choice it was to be 7.62/.308.

There's no reason not to have both. Too many good 30.06 mil-surp bolt guns to own.

From my perspective, I'd go with .308. What makes my perspective different and unique? I'm always nearly broke. Cheaper to shoot .308.

Although it kinda goes without saying that if you want a cheap .30, you just buy a Mosin.

Do you want chicken or pork?

There is nothing the -06 has down the .308 can't, and vice versa. The main difference between the two is that you can carry more .308 than -06 in a combat load, and the recoil is less. For some people, that is an issue.

The lower recoil was important when the Army tried to make the M14 full auto and realized that a .30 weapon full auto was just a bit much for an assault rifle....

eh...I have an 06 and can hit what I need to hit with it. It isn't broken, so I don't need to fix it by getting a .308

.308, because it can do anything .30-06 can do, except .308 is more widely available, cheaper, and puts less barrel wear on your rifle. I had hell finding .30-06 for less than $20 a box.

.308, because it can do anything .30-06 can do, except .308 is more widely available, cheaper, and puts less barrel wear on your rifle. I had hell finding .30-06 for less than $20 a box.

You need to find a better place to shop. I can find more available in -06 and cheaper than .308.... I guess it's like real estate, location, location, location.

30-06 is available in so many bullet styles/weights, loadings, it's foolish not to have one. The biggest advantage is heavier bullets not available for the .308 can be had in '06.

I don't plan on acting out some fantasy video game so an '06 bolt gun will work just fine.

I don't yet own a .308 but I have 2 .30-06 rifles, honestly, if I'm advising someone getting their first rifle, it would be .308 from a recoil/economics standpoint. That said, I'll echo the others, 106 years of history, manageable recoil, and just a touch more oomph! :) I personally prefer the .30-06, yet both have their place.

I see them as for used in different roles and purposes.

The 308 / 7.62X51 is the best choice for a MBR or a target rifle. It is also capable of killing a lot of game. I feel that a 308 should be put in a semi automatic as that is what it was designed for. I have heard the 308 is more accurate - I have not been able to prove this. My SHTF rifle is a 308.

The 30-06 to me is a par excellence hunting cartridge that can do anything and more than a 308 does as far as bullet weights. Very rarely will you fiind 180 grain 308 ammuntion or greater weight not true of the 30-06. Its kind of fuinny that if I only had one hunting rifle it would be a 30-06 but since I have others that are more specific to the type of game I hunt, the 30-06 normally stays in the gun cabinet.

If you run a 30-06 at the same pressures as the 308 - the 30-06 will out perform the 308, maybe not by much depending on bullet weight. The 30-06 simply has more case capacity 7.62X 51 versus 7.62X63.

James Ruby

Chocolate/ Vanilla.

They aren't supposed to run the same pressures. The difference is 1-200 FPS and 7-10 grains more powder, with a longer barrel.
Unless you are talking technicalities on Match distances, or at the extreme edge of a bullets velocity window; They are the same thing.

Chocolate/ Vanilla.

They aren't supposed to run the same pressures. The difference is 1-200 FPS and 7-10 grains more powder, with a longer barrel.
Unless you are talking technicalities on Match distances, or at the extreme edge of a bullets velocity window; They are the same thing.

There is no reason why in a modern rifles you cant run the two cartridges at the same pressure? If so please explain this to me as I have found no reason not to. Old guns of course should be respected for what they are. I will stick to my contention that at the same pressure a 30-06 will out perform a 308.

The 100-200 fps is roughly the difference between a 300WM and a 30-06 with many loads.

James Ruby

I haven't got a lot to add to this thread except I have a .308 and have killed a helluva lotta elk (and deer) with it.

Other than that this issue as far as Im concerned is kinda like a Ford vs Chevy thing.

//

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top