JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'll admit right off the bat that yes, I'm a noob when it comes to hunting big game. I have the delusion that this year I am going to do the hunting thing, and I am looking for advice for a 308 load for shooting elk. I've read good things about the Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady, Nosler.... etc...

Let me know if anyone has a recommended for a 308 load that is suited for elk.

Thx.

i would definitely use the barnes TSX. i have personally taken game with these bullets and they are everything they are said to be. i use 165g TSX 42g reloader 15. works great.

Are you asking about handloads or factory ammo? A 165gr. Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition or Hornady SP will all work. 150, 165 and 168 grain bullets are what I use pretty much exclusively. Sometimes a 140 Barnes for whitetail. No matter deer or elk, I don't go under 140gr. or over 168.

I would personally say to do your "hunting thing" with a good factory load. Once you get out there, you may never want to stop hunting. At the same time, you may find that it is not for you and there is no shame in that(yes there is. I'm just being nice).

Good luck and happy hunting! Kip

I would be shooting a 180 grain BTSP if you don't plan on shooting over 3-400 yards. I've killed elk and deer with btsp's and bonded poly tipped high BC bullets that everyone seems to think is manditory to kill and Elk or deer with I've never had an animal make it more than 5 yrds when shot with either

Could these bullet weights be applied to a 30-06 load also? Was thinking about working up a load for blacktail with a 150 gr. TSX and 165 or 168 gr. TSX for elk. Thanks.

Of course they can! Both use .308" bullets.
I currently use, and have used for years, 180gr bullets out of my 30-06. (Ballistic Tip for deer, Partition for elk) However, I have given plenty of thought to using a 165-168gr bullet instead. There are plenty of high quality bullets available now, and I can gain just a little more velocity with the lighter bullet.

While you can use 180gr bullets in the .308, if the possibility of a longish shot is there, you may want to limit the bullet to the 165-168gr class. The 308 will not push the heavier bullets as well as an 06, but it's equal when you step back just a little bit. If you won't be shooting more than about 200 yards, though, the difference is so minimal, it's not worth noting.
Don't be afraid of the Remington Core-Lokt or the Federal (lower $$) ammo. As long as you don't stretch the distance and make a good shot, you will be successful. You will also have a very good selection of ammo loaded with premium bullets that will work splendidly. Pick one that your rifle shoots well and go hunting.

I just tried some 150gr Barnes TTSX in my .308 they shot great and had the same POA as the Hornady SST.both bullets shot with 47.0grs of Varget.

If you are going to use a 308 or a 30/06 I would suggest you get to a place to shoot in on paper then get to the hills and see if you can hit the same paper at 300 to 600 yards. you don't always see your first trophy at 100 yards then find him waiting for you to shoot. One glimpse of you and all that will be left of him is a memory.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top