Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

308 load for elk

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by KTM530XCW, Jun 9, 2012.

1. KTM530XCW

KTM530XCW Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So I'll admit right off the bat that yes, I'm a noob when it comes to hunting big game. I have the delusion that this year I am going to do the hunting thing, and I am looking for advice for a 308 load for shooting elk. I've read good things about the Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady, Nosler.... etc...

Let me know if anyone has a recommended for a 308 load that is suited for elk.

Thx.

2. usmc

usmc oregon Active Member

i would definitely use the barnes TSX. i have personally taken game with these bullets and they are everything they are said to be. i use 165g TSX 42g reloader 15. works great.

3. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

Are you asking about handloads or factory ammo? A 165gr. Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition or Hornady SP will all work. 150, 165 and 168 grain bullets are what I use pretty much exclusively. Sometimes a 140 Barnes for whitetail. No matter deer or elk, I don't go under 140gr. or over 168.

I would personally say to do your "hunting thing" with a good factory load. Once you get out there, you may never want to stop hunting. At the same time, you may find that it is not for you and there is no shame in that(yes there is. I'm just being nice).

Good luck and happy hunting! Kip

4. KTM530XCW

KTM530XCW Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Hand loads. Does anyone go up to 180g w/ 308?

5. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I would be shooting a 180 grain BTSP if you don't plan on shooting over 3-400 yards. I've killed elk and deer with btsp's and bonded poly tipped high BC bullets that everyone seems to think is manditory to kill and Elk or deer with I've never had an animal make it more than 5 yrds when shot with either

6. hsullyc

hsullyc North coast,Nehalem,OR Member

Hornady GMX have one shot kills on three elk.Superformance 155gr....Winchester xp3 have performed really well on deer but haven't try them on elk.

7. Edmon

Edmon Battle Ground Active Member

Could these bullet weights be applied to a 30-06 load also? Was thinking about working up a load for blacktail with a 150 gr. TSX and 165 or 168 gr. TSX for elk. Thanks.

8. usmc

yes, i shoot 165 tsx 52g IMR 4064. tack driver.dropped my deer dead in its tracks.

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Of course they can! Both use .308" bullets.
    I currently use, and have used for years, 180gr bullets out of my 30-06. (Ballistic Tip for deer, Partition for elk) However, I have given plenty of thought to using a 165-168gr bullet instead. There are plenty of high quality bullets available now, and I can gain just a little more velocity with the lighter bullet.

While you can use 180gr bullets in the .308, if the possibility of a longish shot is there, you may want to limit the bullet to the 165-168gr class. The 308 will not push the heavier bullets as well as an 06, but it's equal when you step back just a little bit. If you won't be shooting more than about 200 yards, though, the difference is so minimal, it's not worth noting.
    Don't be afraid of the Remington Core-Lokt or the Federal (lower $$) ammo. As long as you don't stretch the distance and make a good shot, you will be successful. You will also have a very good selection of ammo loaded with premium bullets that will work splendidly. Pick one that your rifle shoots well and go hunting.

10. lucky guy

lucky guy Sisters Active Member

Federal used to sell a HE 180 gr Partition at about 2500-2600 fps.

I second the 150 - 168gr TSX/TTSX. You can buy those as loaded ammunition from Barnes I believe if you want to start with factory ammo.

11. slightly disturbed

slightly disturbed Oregon City Active Member

this is my go to load for elk and bear. it is a sweet heart of a load and I dont even know usmc!

12. usmc

well you know great minds think alike lol.

13. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

I've had good results with Speer's 165gr hot-cor bullets

14. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

I just tried some 150gr Barnes TTSX in my .308 they shot great and had the same POA as the Hornady SST.both bullets shot with 47.0grs of Varget.

15. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

If you are going to use a 308 or a 30/06 I would suggest you get to a place to shoot in on paper then get to the hills and see if you can hit the same paper at 300 to 600 yards. you don't always see your first trophy at 100 yards then find him waiting for you to shoot. One glimpse of you and all that will be left of him is a memory.

16. volcomdork182

volcomdork182 Gresham/portland New Member

Id say try the nolser accubond. It has a high B.C., good expansion, and retaining its weight very well.

But i might try the tsx in 223 for deer this year.

Either one will work.