JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dont JB weld it. Silver solder is going to be a far better way IMHO. What I would do if I was going to solder it would be tack all the parts together with a tig torch and then solder the parts. The solder will wick between the parts.

Why wouldn't you want to TIG this bad boy together? use 1/16th rod at low amps, the welds would hold stronger than safety silv ever would...

I love threads like this. They make me happy that I'm learning welding and machining. And that stuff about aluma-steel blows my mind, but its probably just another way of tig-brazing, like you'd do with silicon-bronze.

I love threads like this. They make me happy that I'm learning welding and machining. And that stuff about aluma-steel blows my mind, but its probably just another way of tig-brazing, like you'd do with silicon-bronze.

I think your right, Its not really a welding process even though thats what they call it.

Because he does not have a tig welder or any experience tig welding.

Agreed, TIG is the way to go (thats what I did for mine)

As an apprentice electrician years ago, we had a 5-week course on welding. It was one of my favorite classes. We did stick welding, wire feed, brazing, cutting and MIG welding. I liked MIG the best, we never got to try TIG. As a result of that class, I learned how difficult it was to get a nice, solid, consistent weld. There is definitely an art to welding. It's gone through my mind more than once to get one of those inexpensive HF wire feed welders for small jobs/projects. I don't know if they're worth it, but it would be nice to have.

I wonder would something like that (wire feed) be a worthy choice for a project like this, where someone doesn't have access to something like TIG?

You will be sorely disappointed if you buy a Harbor Freight welder.
Look for a good used Miller or Lincoln suite case unit instead.
As with any small portable mig welder, you are regulated to welding lighter gauge steel and short operating cycles.
Most folks start with a stick welder and then graduate to a mig machine.
Keeping the stick electrodes dry and moisture free is a big factor in successful stick welding, and also selecting the right electrode for the job at hand.

+1

Avoid the Harbor Freight welder. A used miller will cost a bit more but you can actually weld with one (not so much with the HF)

Also anyone can learn to MIG well. With enough practice I could have a 8 year old passing cert tests.

Not so with TIG. When it comes to TIG there will be 10-20% who pick it up quick and have the potential to become really good. 60-70% who will functionally do fine but will never become as good as some and then 10% who simply can't get it and never will be a TIG welder. TIG requires some innate ability to master, not so with MIG

Last Edited:
Having a good quality auto dark helmet is a big plus in my opinion.
Some folks can use the old style helmet where you get ready to weld, and then nod your head to lower it over your face.
Once I tried an auto dark one, my welding improved just because I started where I should have instead of all over the place. Especially when tack welding two pieces together.

Did someone say brazed?

brazed motorcycle frame.jpg

Is the Atom street legal or is it just a track toy? I have seen one Demo'd on Top Gear. Looked like a whole lot of fun. If I had $50 grand to spend on a frivolous and impractical automotive toy it would be high on the list of possibilities

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews