JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says, I need some help assembling my 9mm carbine upper. I have all the parts, except a few small parts. I have some ammo and parts to trade, or I can bring you a six pack or something. I need FSB installed on barrel and the barrel installed to the upper. Thanks!

What receiver are you attaching this to? I've got most of the needed tools to assemble an upper, if you are on this side of the river any time pm me.

The iconic, A-frame FSB ?
If so, that requires a piece of kit and some skillz that the average kitchen table gun plumber does not have.
You have Curt's on McGloughlin just North of Roake's.
They could do a barrel but I'm not sure about the FSB.

It is not drilled. I have been collecting the parts for this build for several months.
The FSB will get set square to barrel in a jig.
Then it's drilled (drill press or mill)
Then the holes are taper-reamed
Then the tapered pins are driven

It's a process and it's best done with a virgin barrel and virgin FSB
Check with @Velzey and see what his wait list is like.

The FSB will get set square to barrel in a jig.
Then it's drilled (drill press or mill)
Then the holes are taper-reamed
Then the tapered pins are driven

It's a process and it's best done with a virgin barrel and virgin FSB
Check with @Velzey and see what his wait list is like.
Thanks for the info. I was trying to save money by collecting the parts as opposed to buying a complete upper, but now I'm thinking I should have just gotten a complete upper haha!

I need FSB installed on barrel and the barrel installed to the upper. Thanks!
DO NOT attempt to do this yourself nor let your TV repairman buddy with the bubblegumin' set of tools wrench on it, that is a real good way to ruin your barrel. The task requires a specific jig to hold the FSB in correct relation to the bore while it is being drilled. Normally if I'm building an FSB gun I'll buy a barrel with it installed by the manufacturer. @Velzey can do the job for you.

Installing the barrel to the upper is pretty straight forward assuming you don't need a thermal fit, which I never have with a Aero upper. A GI style barrel nut is the most challenging to install because it needs to be timed allow proper gas tube alignment, most handguards these days do not require timing.

Last Edited:
hmm check what a gunsmith will charge to install fsb. Then check model 1 9mm barrels with fsb, Might be less expensive to buy one already done and sell your barrel. I have a old A2 9mm upper from them and it is scary accurate. But their barrel twist is slower then most. Mine is 1 in 12 the new ones are 1 in 14. They are supposed to stabilize the bullet better then what most manufacturers use which is 1 in 10.

hmm check what a gunsmith will charge to install fsb. Then check model 1 9mm barrels with fsb, Might be less expensive to buy one already done and sell your barrel. I have a old A2 9mm upper from them and it is scary accurate. But their barrel twist is slower then most. Mine is 1 in 12 the new ones are 1 in 14. They are supposed to stabilize the bullet better then what most manufacturers use which is 1 in 10.
From what I've seen I wouldn't buy squat from those clowns. Issues I've seen...no dimple on the barrel and no loctite on LPGB screws, no Aeroshell 33MS on the barrel nut, barrel nut improperly torqued, Loctite on a YHM barrel nut which had to be cut off because it was destroyed even using the proper pin style armorer's tool.

Nothing much new to contribute than what's already been said. I'll chime in another vote for Valzey though. His company website with direct contact info/location/etc:

Barrel/guard installation is simple enough and any number of folks will have the proper tools and know-how to do you on the cheap/or favor, but couldn't hurt to ask what Valzey would charge if he's already doing your FSB. I would imagine it wouldn't be much and likely less hassle than having another party do it(?)

YMMV

I don't know how much you paid for your barrel, but unless it's a top tier barrel, I highly suspect you're better off selling it, as well as your FSB, and just buying pre=assembled. If you have a lot invested into it though... then it's more wortwhile to have a professional install done.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to save money by collecting the parts as opposed to buying a complete upper, but now I'm thinking I should have just gotten a complete upper haha!
I have found that if you want a legit FSB, order the barrel with the FSB pre-installed and from a reputable company.
Because FSB install is a process that needs to be performed correctly by a trained individual to be right.

Here is "The Chart" from years gone by, note the number issues related to the FSB common with lower tier manufacturers...

The Chart.jpg

"The Chart" was the source of the beginning of what is now known as Butt Soreness if your rifle landed on the wrong side of The Chart.
IIRC, the Rock River guys were the biggest crybabies.

:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads