JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With your experience and realizing your profession, is the 434 ok for self defense? Would a 140 be a better choice? The flat trigger is what makes me wonder, though I haven't used any trigger that aren't curved.

IMO flat triggers are like grip and stocks, 100% personal preference. I use have a an SD-C and while a great trigger, I decided I didn't care for flat triggers and ended up trading it for another SSA. I ran the SD-C through the first day of a 2 day carbine class and changed it out to an SSA for day two. They do seem to make the pull slightly lighter than a curved trigger, I assume its a leverage thing. I think it is one of thing you need to personally experience and decided for yourself whether a flat shoe is for you. I would say there is nothing wrong using one on a defensive carbine and 3.5lbs on a single stage is an appropriate pull weight, as I mentioned above I'd would add another pound for a 2-stage trigger.

With your experience and realizing your profession, is the 434 ok for self defense? Would a 140 be a better choice? The flat trigger is what makes me wonder, though I haven't used any trigger that aren't curved.

I went with a flat trigger, as it doesn't force your finger in a position it doesn't want to go. It make no difference where you place your finger...same good press weight.

I know Bill Blowers (Tap-Rack Tactical), SWAT guy ran a flat trigger for years for his duty rifle.

Some are concerned about the 3.5lb press weight. If that's the case, RISE makes a LE145 model which has a 4.5lb press weight.

I ran all my rifles with mil-spec units for years because some Yahoo on the interwebs said i should. Then I picked up a G SSA-E for under $160 and haven't looked back since. The long gritty pull (or at least my hyper attention to it) really affected MY accuracy. Switching over to a higher end trigger with a smooth consistent pull made me a better shot (or had a placebo effect). Since then I've switched to flat bow triggers since I tend to jerk those much less under stress. For me spending the extra bills and getting a very nice trigger is worth it, so I'll keep putting them in my builds. If you can't see the need then don't buy one. But once you "run" a rifle with one in it you won't want to downgrade. Just my $ .02

I am not completely sold on G triggers or others that require anti walk pins installed. I think that they detract from the AR design. I made my own by chucking the pin in my drill and using a thin file to cut grooves in each side and using C clips (Bushmaster civilian AR clone, piston design) - 1000+ rounds and no problems.

Wilson Combat Tactical Trigger Unit (TR-TTU) single stage triggers are on sale for $145 and don't require anti-walk pins.

Comments on the trigger and price?

Replacing a standard trigger on an LWRC M6 A2. The trigger is pretty good for mil-spec, other that the initial take-up that makes it almost feel like a two stage.

The G triggers I've bought come with standard pins. And I've never had one move using just those.
I am not completely sold on G triggers or others that require anti walk pins installed. I think that they detract from the AR design. I made my own by chucking the pin in my drill and using a thin file to cut grooves in each side and using C clips (Bushmaster civilian AR clone, piston design) - 1000+ rounds and no problems.

Wilson Combat Tactical Trigger Unit (TR-TTU) single stage triggers are on sale for $145 and don't require anti-walk pins.

Replacing a standard trigger on an LWRC M6 A2. The trigger is pretty good for mil-spec, other that the initial take-up that makes it almost feel like a two stage.

Anyone have any experience with the Rise LE145? Or the RA-140 2A? I have some CMC 3.5lb triggers that I like but these triggers are somewhat cheaper.

Geissele states right in their trigger installation instructions that anti walk pins should never be used with their triggers. The pins must rotate for proper operation.

Geissele does not use anti-walk pins.

Geissele states right in their trigger installation instructions that anti walk pins should never be used with their triggers. The pins must rotate for proper operation.

That is correct

You're not sold on anti-walk pins but then made your own anti-walk pins? I'm not even sure how you did this since my trigger pins are basically flush with the receiver.

Cassette triggers don't have much tension on the pins so they usually work better with anti-walk pins with some exceptions (Elftman etc that use stand-off set screws on the bottom).

As others mentioned G trigger (and LaRue) don't use anti-walks...

You're not sold on anti-walk pins but then made your own anti-walk pins? I'm not even sure how you did this since my trigger pins are basically flush with the receiver.

Cassette triggers don't have much tension on the pins so they usually work better with anti-walk pins with some exceptions (Elftman etc that use stand-off set screws on the bottom).

On a "normal" FCG the trigger pin is held in place by the hammer spring* and the hammer pin is held in place the hammer J-spring.

*That is the one that often gets put in backwards, inducing light hammer strike and causing the trigger pin to walk.

Last Edited:
On a "normal" FCG the trigger pin is held in place by the hammer spring* and the hammer pin is held in place the hammer J-spring.

*That is the one that often gets put in backwards, inducing light hammer strike and causing the trigger pin to walk.

Yeah I get that, that's why I mentioned the the cassette types typically utilize anti-walk for reliability, although not all recommend or require them.

The "C" clips are on the inside of the receiver. I was having problems with the hammer pin sliding out on one side and making the trigger useless. The pin had no grooves in it - manufacturer oops? This Bushmaster is not your typical AR. This is not the firearm that I am shopping for a new trigger group.

Like i said, I don't have any experience with drop in (aftermarket) triggers. I am just now shopping around for a replacement trigger set.

Ppl were talking about rise armament above. Noticed this one on sale today. No idea about trigger or if that's a good price. Just passing along FYI in case anyone is interested: 9EE08B42-317C-4F9C-929A-2169C979B8F0.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top