JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Start with contacting the manufacturer.

I have two dedicated 22lr AR's, one a tacsol upper, 16" barrel and it prints 1/2" groups at 50-yards. The other a CMMG complete 4.5" upper which I have not tested for best accuracy as it is a blasting, fun gun that has only ever worn a MRO red dot. It easily prints 1" groups at 25 yards using bulk federal, CCI, Winchester, etc....

A dedicated 1 in 16 twist AR 22lr upper from a quality manufacturer should group 1" at 25-yards easily and I would expect that level of accuracy at 50-yards also. Less than that I would work with the manufacturer for resolution.

Just to echo what others have said, My dedicated 22 accuracy is QUITE acceptable. No real fancy parts. Mostly cmmg. CCI SV gives the best accuracy out of all i have tried so far.

Just to be clear - this is a Right to Bear barrel.
Tried a bit of the old crowning tool but the salt nitride didn't like it... 22LR std bushing goes in the bore snugly so that's not the issue. Same crappy pattern (note tumblers).
Shot 3 targets 25 rounds same random patterns (still 30yards from a bench with bipod).
Took it down, pulled the barrel from the upper (everything was TIGHT). Dialed the bore on the lathe. OD of the barrel is with in 0.0005 of the bore). Then I set back the muzzle a little and machined a nice target crown.
Still need to try it again but I don't have much hope. Nothing really screams "hot garbage".
Did some bore scope vids beside some dirt (cleaned with a bore snake then shot) it looked "okay" to me.

20230722_120405.jpg 20230722_120250.jpg

Maybe the bullet is not getting "engraved" properly (which is a big thing) ?

SAAMI specifications are .217 bore diameter and .222 groove diameter for the .22 long rifle, and .219 bore diameter and .224 groove diameter for the 223 Remington.

With your accurate 22LR barrel, run a jag and patch down the bore and note snugness.
Now run the same jag/patch down the suspect barrel.
Does it push down this barrel with less effort ?

While doing this test you can also verify twist.
Take a Sharpie and make the required marks on your cleaning rod.
Then observe the results.

Last Edited:
Maybe the bullet is not getting "engraved" properly (which is a big thing) ?

SAAMI specifications are .217 bore diameter and .222 groove diameter for the .22 long rifle, and .219 bore diameter and .224 groove diameter for the 223 Remington.

With your accurate 22LR barrel, run a jag and patch down the bore and note snugness.
Now run the same jag/patch down the suspect barrel.
Does it push down this barrel with less effort ?

While doing this test you can also verify twist.
Take a Sharpie and make the required marks on your cleaning rod.
Then observe the results.
I have a .217 dia bushing that fits snug so the bore is a good size. Chamber/free bore seems SUS so I'm going to scrub it and check with the bore scope some more.

You might be building up enough lead that twist is not imparted. That will give you crap shotgun patterns. And more likely to happen if the bore is too large for LR, common in 223 —> 22LR conversions. I would scour the lead, return you rifle to 223 service, and buy a 22lr upper.

It is definitely a 22LR bore.
Here's some shots of the throat before / after a little polish...
Before polish it almost looks like a rim of brass... did they not chamber it deep enough lol. That would be a quick fix for me.

It is definitely a 22LR bore.
Here's some shots of the throat before / after a little polish...
Before polish it almost looks like a rim of brass... did they not chamber it deep enough lol. That would be a quick fix for me.
Good to know. Still suspect leading based on buildup seen on muzzle pic.

I put an upper together at the beginning of the month using the CMMG 16" dedicated kit with their barrel. I had good results with a CMMG 6.5cm and heard nice things about their dedicated 22lr setup so I gave it a shot. I just used some cheap Mlok handguard and an Anderson upper for the rest of the build. I had a tough time trying to get it sighted in with the way too big of a scope I found laying around. So I took it back into the shop and gave it a good cleaning, I also gave it more of a crown and checked the rest of the upper for issues, nothing really jumped out at me so I went back to the range with a variety of ammo. Best ammo was Winchester Super Supressed folowed by CCI minimags. It shot way better the second time out and appeared to be settling in. It still won't shoot CCI CB's or CCI Quite, it patterns with those. I had high hopes for it, but I don't think will be ever shoot better than my high mileage Marlin model 60 with its crappy trigger.

Edited to add: It did run better than expected using CMMG mags, excluding the CCI CB's and Quite, I had zero stoppages out of about 300 rounds.

When I saw the title I thought it was about this:

From the crown pic, you likely recrowned through a thick layer of lead. The whole barrel needs a deleading. Get some lead-away cloths and some lead solvent, let it soak, and go to town with a brass brush and leadaway patches. I'll bet the groups shrink to an inch.

Same ammo, re crowned and polished the chamber/throat a bit
From the crown pic, you likely recrowned through a thick layer of lead. The whole barrel needs a deleading. Get some lead-away cloths and some lead solvent, let it soak, and go to town with a brass brush and leadaway patches. I'll bet the groups shrink to an inch.
New barrel maybe a 2-300 rounds at this point. IDK why it would be leaded to shotgun patterns already.
I've dump 10x thru my 10/22, no cleaning still shoots great.

Its now realistic patterns, my hold wasn't the steadiest. Was it the total re-crown or chamber polish (flap stick) is my only question at this point.

Same ammo, re crowned and polished the chamber/throat a bit

New barrel maybe a 2-300 rounds at this point. IDK why it would be leaded to shotgun patterns already.
I've dump 10x thru my 10/22, no cleaning still shoots great.

Its now realistic patterns, my hold wasn't the steadiest. Was it the total re-crown or chamber polish (flap stick) is my only question at this point.
That is the downside to changing more than one variable at a time. You don't know for sure which caused the change whether positive or negative.

That is the downside to changing more than one variable at a time. You don't know for sure which caused the change whether positive or negative.
Yep, was frustrated blowing ammo no change. Would have been nice to know but this $125 barrel was about to get the scrap can. Now it seems okay. I feel the chamber scrub was big. Hitting the crown with a tool (a little bit) didnt do much of anything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top