JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My goal is to go deer hunting next season. For a number of reasons, the main one being cost of ammo, I've decided to go with .223 bolt rifle. Do you guys have any recommendations on a good rifle, my price range is $500-$900 (without scope).

And also what kind of effective range would it have?

Thanks

One good recommendation is to choose a caliber that is legal for deer in Washington.
A 223 is not legal for deer in this state.240/6mm size or bigger.
223 IS legal for cats and other small game.
Not bear,they are considered big game and you have to use deer or elk legal weapons.

I killed alot of blacktails with a mini 14 when I lived in Alaska. Have to make the first shot count.

same here I got two of them when i was up there, shot one in the heart and the other one took it through the lung and then took out his front shoulder too so he wasent moving anywhere

The reason is, in Washington, the bullet must create more then 350 foot lbs of impact at 100 yards. A .223 does not meet that requirement. I don't know for sure but I think a .243 is the smallest caliber for deer.

first off 223 55 grain out to 100 yards 1015 fpe not 350, second if your just started deer hunting....sounds like you are, law allows you to shoot with alot of combinations. why not get something that will grow with you like a 308 savage,remington all can be had for 500-700$ at a hundred yards go of irons. when you get sick of deer you can go for elk.

shot placement and shoot only at dawn so if you have to track it will be easier

xm193deer.jpg

Last Edited:
As for stock length, and since you mentioned an interest in saving money, I would recommend you just purchase a slip-on recoil pad to add 1" length to the original length of pull. Same idea, but a bit more money would be to have a 1" recoil pad actually installed on the gun without cutting the stock. Since most factory guns are around a 13.5" length of pull to start with, either of these ideas should put you where you need to be. (this from another ape-armed guy.)

As for the .223, even if it were legal in your state, It is NOT a caliber for those of moderate experience to be using on deer-sized animals. Having said that, I know an accomplished young woman who has taken 5 pronghorn antelope (all one shot kills), with her Mini Mauser .223. She is a very patient hunter, and a very skilled shot. It will do the job for a hunter of her proficiency. It has.

I've taken two deer with my AR15A2... only fired two shots. Admittedly I got a nice broadside shot (one was 30 yards and the other was about 20 yards) and took the heart right off the aorta each time. They jumped straight up into the air and landed in a heap dead as bin Laden. IMO .308 is a great all around hunting round.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top