JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, I am looking for some loads for a .223rem auto gun(AR-15's). I would like a recipe that YOU have LOADED and SHOT. Not one from another site. I would like them for .55gr bullet winchester FMJ. And maybe some .52gr nosler custom competition bullets recipes would be good.
I appreciate all in put!

Thanks for your time!

What are you looking for specifically? What some of us prefer for powder, primer, and case combinations or are you looking for specific powder charges?

If it's specific powder charges you're after there's just too many variables involved. If what worked for me is at the upper end of the recommended charge data it could be dangerous for you. Let's say for example my favorite loading has an overall cartridge length set up to put the bullet slightly into MY rifling. Using that same length in yours may push it too far into YOUR rifling, increasing pressure to dangerous levels.

It may sound like I'm being overly cautious, but you really should work the loads up yourself. Being paranoid about safety is a good thing in this hobby.

For the last 10 years I have loaded the following for my AR's:

Cases = Mixed Military, primarily LC
Bullet = Montana Gold 55 gr FMJ-BT with cannelure (also Winchester Bulk 55gr FMJ-BT w/cannelure)
Powder= Accurate AA-2230 25.5 Gr.
Primer = Wolf .223 Small Rifle Primer.
OAL 2.255 (2.260 is max for an AR magazine but due to variations in manufacture I load .005" shorter to insure feed reliability.

These loads perform well in my carbine's and Mid-Length Rifles. All barrels are 16" and speed averages 3015 fps with a Mean average Deviation as low as 5 fps.

The AA-2230 is one of the powders developed for the .223 rifle cartridge. 25.5 grains fills the case to about 95% and shows no pressure signs.

This load duplicates the Military M-193 cartridge load. Runs about 300 fps faster in my AR's than factory loads such as PMC and American Eagle.

Using this Powder/bullet/primer combination my cost per bullet is just under $0.16 buying all components in sufficient quantity to load 3500 rounds at a time. This coincides with the case quantity for Montana Gold Bullets.

I have used other powders like Win 748, H-335, and H-4895 which are all good powders but I settled on AA-2230 for my 55 gr loads as it is inexpensive, has been readily available, and shoots cleaner than most. Also meters through my Dillon powder measure with superb accuracy. When I start a batch I check every round for about 15-20. Usually are "spot on" for weight after the first 2-3. I then check the first round after refilling primers just to verify.

All of my AR's have 1:9 or greater twist rates so I can shoot up to 77 gr bullets but unless shooting at the outer limits of the AR's range I don't see it as a big gain. If I get a bunch of he SS-109 (62 gr "penetrator" rounds), and they are cheap enough, I merely drop the powder charge to 25.2 grains. Speed then averages about 2900 fps.

I usually run a rather middle of the road load in my .223 I use for banging away with my auto-rifles, 24grs of H335 behind a 55gr FMJ-BT. It's a decently accurate load, and meets the US mil spec of 4" at 100 yards. For more accuracy, I load hodgdon varget, usually 25grs behind a 60gr sierra BTHP. Both of these are fairly mild loads, the varget load is actually below book, but is a real performer in terms of accuracy.

Thank you everyone for the input. I have reloader 15 powder available as well as some Win.748 but I am not against buying other powders. Would not mind loading some of my Nosler Ballistic tip Varmint 55gr for my bushmaster Varminter but if I want the real accuracy I will just shoot my Tikka Varminter.
So mainly just looking for 55gr FMJ stuff for the Bushmaster modular carbine but I will take any input you all have.
Again, thank you to all for your input!

Dan

The two powders I use for 223 is AA-2230 or hodgdon blc-2. I usally use between 23 gr to 26gr on both powders depending on what weight of bullet I am loading for. On average using 25 gr of either powder with a 55 gr bullet is going a hair over 3000 fps.

Hey tactical. I am currrently using wc844(mil surp) powder, pull down 55ggr fmjbt, and cci400 primers in mixed HS brass loading 24gr of powder. If these are just plinking rounds you need to get ahold of doug on here he posts in reloading classifieds all the time. just got 8lbs of powder from him for $110 and the bullets are $85/1000 hes always coming to oregon check him out. these rouds cycle the AR great no jams so far(400rds) hes really good guy to deal with and has great prices. he has a site also. RELOADING BRASS CASINGS

Hey tactical. I am currrently using wc844(mil surp) powder, pull down 55ggr fmjbt, and cci400 primers in mixed HS brass loading 24gr of powder. If these are just plinking rounds you need to get ahold of doug on here he posts in reloading classifieds all the time. just got 8lbs of powder from him for $110 and the bullets are $85/1000 hes always coming to oregon check him out. these rouds cycle the AR great no jams so far(400rds) hes really good guy to deal with and has great prices. he has a site also. RELOADING BRASS CASINGS

If you shoot a lot of WC844, here's a better source Pat's Reloading - Prices

He usually pays the hazmat on a case of 4 jugs (32 lbs). At $85/8# jug, the savings would more than cover the freight and leave some money left over compared to "local prices". Those of us here in WA State also save on Sales Tax which is almost 10% now in the Seattle Area.

Here is what i've been shooting sage rats and coyotes with for the last 4 years. In both bolt guns and ARs it's produced sub 1 MOA groups. Varget is also tempature stable. We have shot these loads in 5 different .223/5.56 guns all with great results.

1) Prep Lake City used brass in similar lots
2) 55 Grain Nosler BT
3) 26.5 Grains of Varget
4) Federal Match Primers
5) Max OAL length per specs. About 2.255 or 2.260 if i recall. Don't have notes in front of me now.

Hope that helps.. Varget is not any good for the 40 grain bullets though in .223. You could just use a cheap 55 grain in place of the BTs for plinking.

In a 22 inch barrel it was a little over 3100 fps.

NOTE: This is a MAX load in some books so work your way up to this and watch for issues.

I'm with AMProd for the most part. Been messing with .223's for over 30 years. The initial "GO-TO" load for any .223 that falls into my hands is 25.0g of H335, with a good 55g bullet, benchrest primer. Rarely if ever does any other load need to be tried for stellar accuracy, reliability, and safety. Not quite at the top of the book load power range, but healthy. Preferred bullets are the legendary-for-accuracy 55g Remington Powrlokt (actually not a true-jacketed bullet: it is swaged lead with a coating, and this is what makes it such a standout for grouping), and more recently, the 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip. Reliable and flawless mechanical operation with this load in my DPMS AP4.

Thanks for all the input guys! I am going to try a couple different loads just to see how they perform out of what I have. Seems the H335 and aa2230 would be easier to build(these powders are easy to find). Gonna get together with my buddy and see what we can make work.

Thank You all for your input!

Thanks for all the input guys! I am going to try a couple different loads just to see how they perform out of what I have. Seems the H335 and aa2230 would be easier to build(these powders are easy to find). Gonna get together with my buddy and see what we can make work.

Thank You all for your input!

Not to mention that both of these powders were developed primarily for the .223/5.56mm round. H-335 is a civilian version of WC844 which goes into the military rounds.

So to by a keg if I like the powder is not a bad idea!
Thanks for the info!

Be sure and shop though. 8# kegs go for $125 or so online and can be close to $200 locally. If you have any friends close by that use the same powder, an online purchase of 3-4 "kegs" can make a big difference by first lowering the price, then spreading the shipping/hazmat fee(s) around.

As mentioned in the 1st reply, Loads are dependent on many factors. Are you looking for accuracy round, close or far? Hunting/varmint round?

All of these load suggestions are helpful, however you will need to tune the load to -your barrel-. I shoot for accuracy, I just like punching paper. I have had outstanding results with Nosler 69gr. custom competition and Winchester 748. Yet everyone I asked, raved over TAC powder. It shot awful in my gun. Ive been through 5 powders so far and settled on 748 for accuracy, and Hodgton H335 for all around shooting, as its still very accurate in my AR. I have had If you want specifics let me know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top